Need a little help from you chaps

It seems i may have to part company with my part built car.

Moderators, sorry if this is in the wrong place but i wanted a feel for the market not commit to a sale yet.

I have no idea what its worth and I was hoping someone on here would have a better idea. Hopefully its not much as i would like so i end up keeping it (its been 4 years now), but i would like to know so it can be factored into financial planning over the next few days.

Tornado based, just requires exhaust, wiring loom, gauges, AC (or not), fuel tanks, glass and a few little things to complete along with some time.

wheels, tyres, rebuilt sbf 302, single piece bell housing, Renault gearbox, shafts, electric PS, leather seats all body work (doors nearly fitted).

Not sure i really want to sell but needs must and i must admit enthusiasm has dropped since starting the bodywork.

If i decide to sell, i will offer on forum, in the right place, before Ebay etc

I have the same question for an ERA in the States? Not sure I want to, don't need to, but I get less and less use out of it besides the odd car show, and keeping it maintained properly is becoming a chore rather than fun. Must be getting too old. Runs great, got 4000 miles on it (about 1200 miles since a complete rebuild in Feb 2005). Reams of records from day one, engine build sheets etc.).
Would be nice to have an idea of the going rate (obviously there must be a large range depending on goodies, but a ballpark figure/range would be helpful), given the state of the economy, before deciding (or not) to actually make the big step and putting it up for sale.

As a general guide line it seems to me that usually a halve completed project realizes less money than what was put in to it. Also keep in mind the buyer might not prefer exactly all the parts that are on offer .

ZC

About 4 years ago i finished off a GTD for a guy. It came to me complete but needed a few tweeks for SVA, nothing major. It was painted, interior done etc etc. He thought he had a bargain getting it for £15,000, it was a 302 engine by the way.

I got £5k for a rolling chassis/bodied, KVA with Ford V6 in pretty tired condition, 3 years ago.

However there was what looked to be a good GTD deluxe starter kit on ebay a few months ago with some extra bits, 302 engine etc i think. Think the chassis was panelled nicely. I think it was Buy it Now £6,000. I don't think it sold off Ebay so i guess if it did sell he probably took an offer offline.

For some strange reason people generally don't seem to see the value in a part built car. I see a lot of part built bargains going for next to nothing and always think why would people buy a kit to build from scratch when they can get 80% of the complete car for about the same money.

GT40's complete go for a fortune won't that motivate you to crack on a finish it off?

Any buddy,
NOOOOOOO, don't do it!

I started my journey years ago with a KVA, sold that and bought the Roy Smart GTD I have today. I have had highs (generally finishing bits), and lows when things go wrong and you've lost enthusiasm. I have nerely put it up for sale quite a few times; eventually forum members and friends have made me see sense, even if you end up shutting the garage and not seeing it for a few months (In my case nearly a whole year).

I've only just finished my engine, but the drive I now feel to finish and be able to say "I did this" has reached an all time peak (plus I want to stick two proverbial fingres up at a friend who has a 911 and keeps ripiing into me).

Keep the faith, keep the dream!!!!

It was financial rather than emotional but a week is a long time and everyone as said don't do it you will regret it so i have decided to keep her, baggage and all.

So much so that will work on her this weekend rather than visit Stoneleigh, plus it will be dryer!!!!!

Thanks all for listening in dark times, well dark for me obviously not the World in general, and i promise to post an update on the build thread over teh weekend.

and learn to type 'the', this past fortnight has been a nightmare for mis-typing that one!!!!!

Back