New house no tools

To each their own but the four post doesn't allow you to work on the suspension and the scissor lift doesn't allow access to trans work on most cars. I went with a low rise two post lift and it allows access to everything.

Jack

I have been in envy of you garage since seeing it on Pelican, top stuff:thumbsup:

Have you sold the RSR? You said "old 911"? I recently sold my 89 3.2 to fund my GT40 build:sad:

Paul

Thanks!

No, I haven't sold the 911. I said 'old' only because it's a 41-year-old car. It's still in active use -- I'm taking it to the track tomorrow morning, and then again on the 16th of this month.

Here it is on Mulholland the day after Thanksgiving.

nov25mulholland.jpg

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Henry, This was my biggest purchase in tools other than my tig. a four post comes with a center section that allow u to put a bottle jack and posts to hold up the car when not on wheels. I have a CTS V and pulled the rear sub frame out with the whole suspension attached to replace a fuel pump in half the time the estimate book says it takes to do, we're talking 2 1/2 hours instead of 5. put jackstands on the lift points after raising the center up. As for my Ferrari build I build a small inexpensive cart that rolls easily on to the car ramp or another bay while doing something else. Or just working outside to make my neighbor jealous.

Another Pelican that has drifted over here :D. I just find it humorous as like minded people tend to accumulate in similar corners of the internet. Jack's original BB is what created my passion for the 911 some decade and six Porsches ago. If it wasn't for him, I probably would have bought a GTR years ago. Due to this tangent, he lead me on, I'm still looking for the "ultimate" ride, and the SLC now looks to be the contender.

After seeing one in person at my local track this fall, its hard to think otherwise.

Thanks for all the response guys. I've since had a visit at my local Sears and picked up a 500 piece tool box set along with extensions and other random tools. I'm looking into the rest of the tools and more importantly lift for my garage. I don't know how to explain that I need this to my wife just yet but I'll figure it out some how. As for lifts, is there a website that better explains the benefits for each type of lift? Also for our purposes as well as other family vehicles which type would be best if I need to change/rotate tires, work on brakes, oil changes, etc? My ceiling height of my garage is fairly tall so that shouldn't be any issue. Not sure on exact height but would venture to say at least 12 feet.

I don't know how to explain that I need this to my wife just yet but I'll figure it out some how.

Here's the #1 reason why you need a car lift.... so you don't get killed or maimed while working on and under your cars - safety. It's the best argument I'll be using when it mysteriously shows up in the garage. And, tell her all the money you'll be saving by doing your own oil changes :)

The Garage Journal will have all the info you can take on four-post, two-post, and scissors lifts. The short answer is this: if your priority is storing two cars in one spot, go four-post. If your priority is workin on the car, two post is better. But either type can work for either application. The MaxJax is an affordable (sub-$2000) mid-rise lift for guys with lower ceilings. It's also notable for being able to be unbolted and stored away when you don't need it.

(And thanks, LukeS!)

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The short answer is this: if your priority is storing two cars in one spot, go four-post. If your priority is workin on the car, two post is better.

That's a really good summary. Just to put a slightly finer point on it: because four-posts lift the car by its wheels, to work on wheels brakes or suspension you have to make "special arrangements" Two posts don't have that problem but are sometimes not rated for long-term storage. This might be worth investigating further. In fact, if anyone knows of a 2-post that can be used to store a car I'd love to know; I'm in the market myself.

Also, one side note on 2-post lifts re working on non-running cars: the two posts have to "communicate" with each other. Typically this is a cable that runs between them. If that cable is at the bottom you either have to sink it into a ~1" trench in the concrete, or you live with a ~3/4" high metal cover running between the posts. Every time you want to raise an unpowered car you have to push it over that cover. That gets really old. So because of that I like the ones where the cable runs across the top which leaves the garage floor clear and flat.

And I guess 4-posts have a similar but not so easily solved problem: if you can't drive onto the ramps you have to push the car up onto them.

In either case, FWIW, Harbor Frieght makes a 120V-powered winch you can bolt to the floor at the back of the garage that comes in real handy for pulling dead cars in. http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-96127.html

Regarding motivation: aside from the safety issue already mentioned, I think the fundamental motivation is fatigue. Working under a car in a prone position has two fundamental problems: you expend a tremendous amount of energy inserting and extricating yourself, and while under there your tool leverage and sight lines are severely compromised, especially if you are old enough to have problems with near vision (presbyopia aka "needs bifocals").

Last edited:
Jack, Paul,

Thought I was the only Pelican cross-over. I'm sure neither of you have any idea who I am, but I visit PP occasionally b/c I'm a Porsche guy deep down.

Jack, welcome aboard, do you plan to visit often? Possibly join the ranks of GT40 owners?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make a set of these. I used 6 inch tall wheels and I can work under the car with out putting it on stands for easy things.

Attachments

• HPIM0614.JPG
    HPIM0614.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 247
  • HPIM0613.JPG
    HPIM0613.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 237

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I got the BendPak XPR-9:
BendPak XPR-9 Two Post Lift, 9,000 Lb. Capacity, Floor-Plate, Narrow
It is a very versatile system and you can set it up at different widths based on your garage space.

FWIW I just went through its manual fairly carefully and did not find a place where it says you cannot store a vehicle in the lifted position.

One other potential downside to two post lifts: they depend on the garage floor being concret and of a certain depth and strength. The requirements aren't terribly unusual for residential garage floors, but it's an issue that AFAIK does not arise for 4-post lifts.

Steve

Supporter
Really like the asymmetric lifts (both Rotary and BendPak make some). It really gets the lift out of the way more and makes it easier to open your door.

I have a Rotary on order. The have a low-ceiling height model too I believe but still requires 11 feet or so.

concrete thickness needed was only 4" on mine. Even if you needed more it is easy to cut out the two squares, dig it out, and fill with deeper concrete. You shouldn't have an issue unless you go with a taller lift

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
concrete thickness needed was only 4" on mine. Even if you needed more it is easy to cut out the two squares, dig it out, and fill with deeper concrete. You shouldn't have an issue unless you go with a taller lift

Actually I think my 7K lift needed only 3. Pouring new concrete requires a waiting period for it to harden which might mess up the schedule a bit, but I suspect at this point the OP has time for that. But it's definitely a solvable problem.

another thing with a 4 post if set up well, you can use it to corner weight the car, do an alignment and anything else at waist height. you can block the car without shocks at ride height to make any initial adjustments using stacked and nailed 2 x 4's bridging the ramps and check the suspension for movement or make measurements. adjusting ride height is easier when the car is elevated also.

OP,
You do not need a lift. It would be a nice luxury garage item to have if you have the space for it. Some simple rollers on casters like Howards post above in addition to a short shop stool is all you need and is perfectly safe, easy on the back, and cheap...saving money for more important things...like your car.

You will not find yourself working under the car all that often anyways since most everything is more easily accessible than production type cars.

Back