New, in Austin, with some 917 questions

Hey folks,

Ive been dreaming about doing an RCR 917 build for way too long, and it looks like finances are finally stating to show some promise, so I figured its time to start doing more extensive research than just drooling at the internet and lurking these boards. Its great to see an active, awesome community like this with both the RCR folks and customers.

I just had a few questions to bounce off yall.

Who have yall had good luck with for flipping a 930 transaxle, and what kind of cost is typically associated with it? Sounds like its typically a ~7-10k job, but wasnt sure about details. Also regarding the transaxle, after a (well executed) flip job, is the integrity still similar to stock? I know they're quite tankish in stock form, but have heard varying accounts of post-modification capability.

Do you know of any 993 twin turbo packaging problems that may arise? I hear the turbo motors tend to have lots of goodies dangling around, but didnt know if they will pose any specific issues when used with stock exhaust manifold+turbo packaging.

Finally, I was curious if there was anyone with any of the RCR cars in the somewhat-near-Austin area who would be willing to let me take an in-person look at the work these fellows do. I hear nothing but the best, and would really like to see one of their beauties in person.

Thanks much,

Kyle

Welcome Kyle!

I live in San Angelo and my shop that's under construction is in Christoval. My car is currently under wraps at my neighbors shop till my shop is finished. But you are welcome to take a look at my partially finished SLC. Cam's SLC is finished (except for interior I think) and on the road in Dallas. Marc has a P4 under construction in the Dallas area as well.

As most would suggest, take a trip to Fran's facility to see first hand if time/finances allow.

Welcome to the forum Kyle! The 917 has always been a favorite of mine. A trip to RCR should prove valuable as will a discussion with Fran Hall. I'm using an inverted 930LSD gearbox in my SL-C. Great gear ratio's for a V-8 too. I'm a big fan of the LS engines, but the 917 begs for a Porsche.

Hi Kyle,
I looked into doing what you want to do a couple of years ago just as the economy tanked.

In my opinion you may have to change the exhaust system. The turbo's on a 993 are towards the back of the motor, so when turned into a mid engine install the turbos are now at the front. I was worried about heat issues in that configuration.

Fran is doing a car with a twin turbo porsche motor, don't know if it's an air-cooled or water-cooled motor, so he should be able to help with this.

A 993 tt motor with a relatively free flowing exhaust, fueling mods, and ecu flash should make 500 hp easy. Let those turbos be the muffler....great sound.

Kyle, you're welcome to stop by if your in the dallas area. You'd get a better tour at RCR but I'd think the SLC would have some similarities. Powertrain, ive got LS376/Ricardo tho...

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! I definitely want to make a run up to Fran's shop sometime for the most in depth look, but would love to check out a car and hear about ownership experience from yalls side while still in the planning stages. Im really curious about the monocoque side of things, as Ive never worked with them before and structural welded aluminum tends to scare me.

Molleur: Who did the 930 box flip for you, and have you had any issues with it to date? Im assuming youre using it with an LS series motor with (at least) comparable power to what a 993 turbo would see, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, how tight is the shifting feel? My pops has a 930, and it feels similar to an old truck in terms of throw length and vagueness.

Also, great points rstallbaum. Didnt even think about how the exhaust layout would be completely backwards after the switch.

Cam: Where in the Dallas area are you located? Im from Garland originally and in the area very often.

Thanks!

Kyle, the 930 can run inverted without any major mods. Simply turn it over and relocate a couple of fittings. Haven't had it in the car (except for fit-up check)
and running. I just had to add an oil cooler/pump/filter by choice, probably not really needed. I am using the RCR supplied cable shift system but I don't think it will be much different as far as speed shifting (like a truck). Not expecting anything different. These are great gearboxes and I have not yet found one severely damaged by too much HP. Have a look at some dune buggy sites, lots of info for them, as well as some folks on this forum.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Kyle,

Welcome,

I have always thought that the 917 was the top of the food chain. If I was not 6' 250, I would have one now! But at least I fit nicely in the 40.

I'm with Molleur, it's got to be a flat air cooled Porsche.

Good luck with your quest and please post lots of photos.

Kyle, the 930 can run inverted without any major mods. Simply turn it over and relocate a couple of fittings. Haven't had it in the car (except for fit-up check)
and running. I just had to add an oil cooler/pump/filter by choice, probably not really needed. I am using the RCR supplied cable shift system but I don't think it will be much different as far as speed shifting (like a truck). Not expecting anything different. These are great gearboxes and I have not yet found one severely damaged by too much HP. Have a look at some dune buggy sites, lots of info for them, as well as some folks on this forum.

Great to hear its a relatively simple process. Ive been reading a huge amount about various projects and must have been brain-farting about one of the other transmissions people flip (G50 maybe?). I was under the impression there was some serious work+machining+other fun things to do in order relocate the R&P+cope with differing stresses. Never been happier to be wrong. :)

and while I am a believer in the awesomeness of the LS motors, I dont think a non-P-car engine would ever sit well with me in my 917. Found a low mile 993 turbo engine for a quite reasonable price which is making me start to twitch.

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming!

and while I am a believer in the awesomeness of the LS motors, I dont think a non-P-car engine would ever sit well with me in my 917. Found a low mile 993 turbo engine for a quite reasonable price which is making me start to twitch.

That's one point in favor of the porsche engine (posrche replica/porsche engine), but for me I draw the line when like 997 GT3 engine will cost me approximately 20k more than a 1000hp n/a V8 (which will outlive the porsche, and be 1000x less expensive to maintain, by a long margin) .... originality-smiginality....let's stuff those V8s in there :D

That's one point in favor of the porsche engine (posrche replica/porsche engine), but for me I draw the line when like 997 GT3 engine will cost me approximately 20k more than a 1000hp n/a V8 (which will outlive the porsche, and be 1000x less expensive to maintain, by a long margin) .... originality-smiginality....let's stuff those V8s in there :D

I dont need to measure in horsepower (plural) per pound :D . 450 hp on 1700ish pounds is already bordering on undrivable with any semblance of control.

I dont need to measure in horsepower (plural) per pound :D . 450 hp on 1700ish pounds is already bordering on undrivable with any semblance of control.

pfffft, my cobra has 640hp/2120lbs (weighed on the scale w/ full fluids, half tank of gas) and it's sloooooooooooooooooow :D

edit: btw I ~think~ the curb weight is somewhere around 2200lbs ... see, even more reason you need more power :D

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Kyle!

pfffft, my cobra has 640hp/2120lbs (weighed on the scale w/ full fluids, half tank of gas) and it's sloooooooooooooooooow

How would you know it's slow Alex - you've never gotten the car out on a track with tires that would make all that power actually hit the ground? :stunned::laugh::stunned:

pfffft, my cobra has 640hp/2120lbs (weighed on the scale w/ full fluids, half tank of gas) and it's sloooooooooooooooooow :D

edit: btw I ~think~ the curb weight is somewhere around 2200lbs ... see, even more reason you need more power :D

plus 200lbs for driver and gear.

A porsche turbo/porsche 917 combo would be the sweet way to go. Is that the weight of the RCR917 finished with a turbo? The quaife/ZF with that extended input shaft option would be a great combo, which would put the engine up against the firewall as in a 962.

Is quafe still making that transaxle?...it's all been pretty quiet on the subject.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hey Kyle,
I'm from Austin but now live about 2 hours away in Brownwood. Can't wait to hear about yo0ur purchase and follow your build! Good luck sir!

I would recommend a trip up to Fran's shop. As I've said before, leave your checkbook in the car. Otherwise you'll buy one of EVERYTHING!!! Fran's stuff is simply perfection.

Hey Kyle,

I'm new to the forum too and I also live in Austin, but travel to California often for business. I have some local porsche contacts, if you don't have any and need some.

Personally, I'm trying to make the moons align so I can get an SLC coupe project started...

Nice to know we have some other enthusiast around town. I can't wait to see one of these RCR's in person.

- Dylan

Last edited:
Since we are here in Texas I forgot that Cam is up in Dallas.

Cam I'm up in Dallas on the 2nd of June for a wedding, if you have some spare mind if I check out the SL-C, I keep meaning to ask Doc if I can pop up since San Angelo is closer than Dallas but it's still a fair way!

Back