New member - very interested in getting into a DRB GT40

Stuart,

You say: "given I don't have the ability to build a GT40 ... ". Perhaps you sell yourself short.

It is a big undertaking and I was very cautious about whether I would be able to do it given that I had no automotive experience. I write computer software and my only vaguely relevant skill was that I could do a bit of woodwork and had tools relating to that. I started with a Roaring Forties rolling chassis and finished in 2.5 years with some assistance from other owners and the occasional phone call to the factory. I didn't need to buy all that much more in the way of tools except for a metal folder for the aluminium skinning. I did source almost all my parts from the factory.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor, you seem to have missed the point of my question, when does an ICV in your opinion stop being an ICV and become a Turnkey?

If your test is that the entire construction of the vehicle has to be done by the individual for it to qualify, then I suggest that every kit in Australia is a turnkey.

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

Trevor, you seem to have missed the point of my question, when does an ICV in your opinion stop being an ICV and become a Turnkey?

Hi Pete

I believe what Trevor is saying is that YOU the INDIVIDUAL must have "control" of the build you cannot leave the car at a commercial premises and have them produce you a car from scratch, even if they in turn outsource some of the work. YOU can, however, have control of the build and YOU can pay a mechanic to have the engine & gearbox installed, then you can buy a wiring loom yourself and send the car & loom to an auto electrician and get them to wire it up.
I was also confused by this issue, why would the RTA want me an office worker installing an engine in a ICV? surely it would be safer giving it to someone more qualified, Trevor has now confirmed you can do this but you must have CONTROL of the build itself.

Hi Kym

Yes Peter D informed me of your efforts. Congratulations! I actually don't even have the work space at the moment to do this type of build. Plus I'm an impatient bugger and it's not the build that I would enjoy it's the driving that excites me.

cheers

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I’d let all those, who spent time providing me with advice on this topic, know what the current situation is…
Well the majority of the money I had set aside for the car has now been consumed by house renovations, the girlfriend thought this was a better investment than a GT40 – my argument that renovations didn’t have the same “fun” factor as a GT40 didn’t hold up.
So, it may take me a little longer to achieve GT40 ownership…

I will of course continue to be part of the forum and still look forward to seeing a few more cars in the flesh.

Cheers
Stuart

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hey Stuart, you are not Robinson Crusoe !!

I sold 3 x MG's to raise the deposit on my 1st house - they are now worth 10 times what they went for way back, but much more money was made from the real estate buying / renovation process, hence the ability to get into a GT40.

Mind you, there is another approach (hind-sight is a wonderful thing) :

- For relatively low dollars, you could buy the basic chassis / body

- This then becomes a "permanent fixture" in the house scene

- Very little expenditure is required to do all the bodywork (you are not spending much "house money" & the boss knows where you are in your spare time) !

- Here's the killer : "If we sold it as-is, we would only get $30k for it, but if I finished it, the car would be worth $100k - so it needs to be done".

The likelihood of you then selling the finished car & realising the "investment" is about the same as that of a girlfriend/wife selling that giant diamond engagement ring - "But Darling, it would be such a good investment" (never heard that before) !!

Stealth, under the radar - that's the way to go !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Stuart

I am in the same boat in that the wife wanted a new house so now the GT40 is put back a year. However, being the very clever finance person that I am I explained the time value of money and transposed that into an emotional cost that delaying the purchase would have on my life. My actually very smart lawyer wife laughed at my attempt but bumped the budged up for my GT40 purchase by another 50K. 50K extra inthe kitty is not bad for a one year wait. Big fat F-Off Cross drilled brakes, custom interior - here I come!

Regards

Jack

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys

You have all got it wrong.

Given that I earn all the money I decide which way it should be spent and as long as the family dont miss out on the essentials all is well and I get to indulge myself.
(just dont tell her what I said)
I deny this whole conversation.
I can just barely remember what it was like to be a man before I was married.

Dimi

Another alternaitve is to change jobs and at the same time open a new account into which you have your wages paid. Formt hat account you pay into the house account what you want your GF to believe is your wages and keep the rest aside for the GT40. When it appears you say you won it ina raffle. An investment banker mate of mine bought his Ferrari this way. I laughed MAO. Talk about honesty in the marriage. Mind you, I think this guy made so much money his wife could hardly have cared less (or complained) if he just went out and bought a ferrari.

JW

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Peter D,
I've always used equity in property to buy my cars, that's how I got the M5. Unfortunately, the GF thought it was about time that some of that equity be injected back into the house - Yes, the upside is that the house is now worth more, but downside is my line of credit is reduced.

I do like your "hindsight" plan. One of the pluses of the renovations is that I lost my small 1 car garage when it was convereted to house space, thus now working on plans for a decent garage to fit the 40 & the M5 in!

Pete,
...it did cross my mind
icon12.gif

JackW
So all you have to do is come up with smart comparisions and you keep getting your budget increased - sounds ideal to me!
Good luck with getting your 40 over the line!

Dimi
You're brave with that statement
icon7.gif

Your last comment is more like it - but at least you do have one awesome 40!
Are you sure you don't want to build another in the near future
icon5.gif

I'm sorry I've not made it over to see your car but these renovations have taken up just about every weekend for the last 6 months.
Have you started the car yet? I'm very keen to hear the exhaust note that you get from the 5.4L engine with that exhaust set up - because I reckon they sound good coming out the exhausts on the std fords -so yours should sound bloody unreal!

cheers
Stuart

Last edited:
StuM5 and Dimi

I second what you are saying about Dimi's car. How about a bit of footage on YouTube or something Dimi. Your car is bad ass.

Jack

Back