New Shelby GT40's

No offense taken. Continuation car is a term used by Shelby ,SPF ect to denote their association with the original builder or license holder. It does not mean it is an exact reproduction. It is also a very clever and effective marketing tool. I think it has been proven over and over that people will pay a premium for the moniker, and the more original the specs, the better (warts and all)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It would have been nice to see SPF doing a deal with Holman and Moody for a continuation of that car!!

With Lee Holman building his own MK IIs I don't think that's gonna happen! And the deal with Shelby is done via Lance, the US distributor, not the SPF factory.

I am amused that Shelby is calling them "GT40s" as he contends that name was a "figment of the English press" (per his quote in OCTANE magazine).

How much is the extra "bling" worth? Nothing to me but perhaps others see it differently............

yea, personally I do not see much value in it either. The iconic name of Shelby is so closley associated with the cobra, that it is easy to see the value in that relationship, but the Gt40 does not seem to have that attachment. I do however feel some folks will find it important and pay a premium for it.

As to the legal mechanics of the arrangement is goes like this:

1. Superformance is paying Safir a license fee on a per-car basis for use of th "GT40" name.
2. These "Shelby" GT40s are no different physically than non-Shelby GT40s other than the Shelby badges.
3. Superformance will pay Safir the same per-car license fee on these cars as non-Shelby cars.
4. Shelby is getting a license fee for the use of the "Shelby" name and rights to inclusion in the Shelby registry.
5. Shelby isn't doing anything here other than simply licensing the name and providing badges - Shelby isn't, for example, taking title to the cars, they are merely acting as a limited agent for Superformance.

When you net it all out, it's just more money grubbng for the prostitution of recognized and copyrighted names - "GT40" (owned by Safir) and now "Shelby" (owned by the the old goat). Just a bunch of BS to jack up the price for the appearance of credible originality. As usual, it's all about money.

isn't everything? I mean CAV, Tornado, RF, RCR ect. all copied the beautiful shape of the GT40 to produce a car that would appeal to people to buy them so they could make money. SPF took it a step further and wanted to produce a more original style car that would appeal to certain other folks to buy, so they too could make money, and so on and so forth. Lots of choices for us all. Obviously too many for me, since I want one of each.

isn't everything? I mean CAV, Tornado, RF, RCR ect. all copied the beautiful shape of the GT40 to produce a car that would appeal to people to buy them so they could make money. SPF took it a step further and wanted to produce a more original style car that would appeal to certain other folks to buy, so they too could make money, and so on and so forth. Lots of choices for us all. Obviously too many for me, since I want one of each.

Chuck, yes, you're absolutely right. However, I would draw a subtle distinction between companies that a) actually produce something tangible which reflects some fine craftsmanship, and b) those that simply license a name for $'s and add nothing to the inherent qualities of the product. The former seems to reflect a desire to produce something meaningful and inherently valuable for a fair rate of exchange while the latter seems to reflect a desire to simply extract some money for nothing.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I'm enjoying this post:) I suppose until the actual purchase price is known it's all speculation as to the extent of premium attached to the Shelby moniker.

Shelby Americans' involvement in the GT40 was very significant and why not remind the new generation of GT40 enthusiasts of that?

Chuck and Cliff both raise good points regarding what amounts to the value of the brand name. I have concerns about the volume of a "limited" run, is 245 cars too many?

As per the money motivation, there's probably been more money made by private car owners on the resale of geniune Shelbys than ol'Shel ever received on the originals. What do you have to pay for a decent 1967 GT350 these days...

you are correct Ian, a GT350 will run you about 120K these days.

Cliff, I do understand what you are saying, when Shelby will simply be adding his badges to an already accurate product. There are people that will pay for that however. In the case of SPF and its association with Safir and license agreement, I feel SPF did add significantly to the value and quaility of the product by staying true to the original design and they have to pay Safir to achieve that end. That of course does not make it an inheritly better product than other makes, just more accurate.

I am amused that Shelby is calling them "GT40s" as he contends that name was a "figment of the English press" (per his quote in OCTANE magazine)

I agree with Shelby the early preproduction chassised GT prefix cars including the 1965 Daytona winner were correctly called Ford GT. By May 1965 when P1006 was at Le Mans and was the first production GT40P fitted with the definative nose on show to the public. Then you could call them GT40 officially.
Incidentially I have offical press releases for 1966 and the MKII are being called that. In fact especially in the USA magazines the Big block 427 were referred to MKII and the small block 289 GT40.
Regards Allan

Apparently originality in replicas is over rated, look at the sale prices of finished Superformance cars.
This is the same phenomenon that was seen in housing. Too many cars are being prouced and too many are being purchased by speculators, not people who really want a GT40.
When investors buy things because they can make money rather than because they see value in it's function or the pleasure of using it, the overall market is damaged, you have a short term leap in prices, then every one jumps in, the market is glutted and values plummet.
You can see that happening with the classic car market world wide right now.
IMHO

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I have been supporter of the Shelby movement for forty years, regardless of clubs that are infact situated all over the world. I was at SAAC 27 and won 2nd place peoples choice award with my '66 clone. Rick Kopec has spent many years promoting the Shelby name and products of Ford for the benefit of tens of thousands. At this point in time it seems as though Shelby is slapping everyone in the face. I am offended by his actions and as many others probably are. Shelby in fact, has offended just about every supporter he ever had. The damage done by this business decision will probably never be reversed. Bill Kearley

$120 grand is for the trailer queen. My 66 realistic sale price is around 75,000..If I could get 120????????sold. Many shelbys are still under the 6 figure prices.

Personally I don't like it.. My insurance premium is getting to high. If prices dont calm down, I will have to sell..I won't be able to afford everything.
I also get alot of questions "IS IT REAL" because folks think It would be crazy to drive a original on the street. The whole issue is to stressfull.. and it's taking the Fun factor out of the car. IMHO

J

I agree with you Bill, if not for those SAAC clubs interest and support for those cars for all these years there might not be any public intetrest or knowledge of Ol" Shel, they have kept him in the public eye and helped enrich him as well.
But all that aside, I have a clone myself.
Dave

Shelby branded superformance GT40 to commemorate 85th birthday

PRESS RELEASE:
In celebration of Carroll Shelby's 85TH birthday Shelby Distribution USA under license from Shelby Licensing and in partnership with Shelby Automobiles Inc. will reproduce the three dominating Shelby American GT40® race cars that accomplished one of the greatest feats in American automotive racing history into a street legal vehicle that can be driven or simply collected. These rolling chassis will receive a Shelby Automobiles Inc. MSO and will be recorded in the Shelby Registry along with the Safir GT40 Spares LLC assigned licensed mark, identification number and registry that reflects these cars as newly manufactured variants of the original GT40®.
Chassis/Body
The GT40®'s chassis is a near-exact replication of the original race car's monocoque unibody structure down to the pressed steel roof. The only departure is the use of electro-galvanized sheet steel in the construction. The chassis, at over 12,000 pounds per degree, is stiffer than any other chassis on the market, and is made of over 244 laser cut and bent or pressed parts.
Engine/Transmission
The Shelby 85th Commemorative GT40® is built to accommodate only a Shelby branded engine. The top of the line engine includes the Shelby 427FE V8.
Original Style Suspension
The Shelby 85th Commemorative GT40® features an original style fully independent suspension system utilizing an unequal length A-arm design. The coilover system utilizes H&R springs and Bilstein shocks that are fully adjustable as well as the front and rear anti-roll bars. Ride height can be changed from 4.125 to 4.75 inches.
Wheels/Tires/Brakes
Incredible braking performance is achieved through vented Wilwood super light brakes. Both front and rear brakes feature 12.75" discs and 4-piston calipers. Original style 15-inch Halibrand wheels are wrapped with high performance BFGoodrich g-Force Drag Radial tires, 225/50/15 front, 275/60/15 rear.
Interior
The interior features original style seats with rivets and 4-point racing harness seat belts. A racing style dash features Smith gauges, and the pedal box, instruments, quick-release 14-inch steering wheel, and dash accurately replicate the original.
Unique 85th Commemorative Edition GT40® Features
The MKII Shelby GT40®'s will be based on the following cars. Only 85 of each color will be issued.
Car #1, Chassis P/1015: Arcadian Blue, White Stripes/Dark Blue borders, and Dayglo Red Fender Flashes
Car #2, Chassis P/1046: Black with solid Silver Stripes and White Roundels
Car #3, Chassis P/1047 Red with solid White Stripes and Roundels

Features Include:
- Record sale into the Shelby Registry
- Shelby MSO and dash plaque
- Carroll Shelby engraved door handles
- Carroll Shelby etched left and right front headlight covers
- Roundels with 85 number decals
- Leather seating
- Hood wind diffusers
- CS GT40® numbered plaque
- CS GT40® side sill graphics
- Carroll Shelby signature floor and sill mats
- 85th Commemorative hood badge
- 85th Special Edition decal
- Available in right and left hand drive

Available Race Version
While the standard Shelby 85th Commemorative GT40® is as close to a race car as one can get to driving on the street, a race version is also available. This package comes with a roll bar, fuel cell and A/C delete.
Vehicle specifications
Wheelbase: 95"
Length: 163"
Height: 40.5"
Width: 70"
Track (f/r): 57"/56"
Ground Clearance: 4.125" – 4.75"
Curb Weight: 2400 lbs
Weight Distribution: f/r: 40/60%

About Shelby Distribution
Based in Irvine, CA, Shelby Distribution is the official distributor for Shelby continuation cars. Their product lineup includes the CSX4000 Cobra, CSX9000, and the 85th Commemorative GT40. For more information on Shelby continuation cars or to find a dealership, visit www.shelbydistributionusa.com or call 888-SHELBY-USA. The GT40® trademark is owned by Safir GT40 Spares LLC.

Who wants to buy me one?
:D

Found this here...

This is all a load of nonsense - You either have an original GT40 built in the 1960's or you don't. All GT40's built after the sixties are replicas, whoever builds them, whether it is Safir or one of the latest kit makers. Some of them are built very close to the originals, but never 100%, so what is the point of the "continuation" process, apart from extracting money from the gullible?

Chris

I should just add that some of the "original" cars currently racing, in Europe anyway, are not to original spec, ie carbon fibre bodies, etc., so what is original anyway. Lets just enjoy the GT40's we own and not worry about the pedigree. If it looks like a GT40 it is one as far as the general public is concerned, and as we know in this modern world we live in, looks are everything.

Chris

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
This is all a load of nonsense - You either have an original GT40 built in the 1960's or you don't. All GT40's built after the sixties are replicas, whoever builds them, whether it is Safir or one of the latest kit makers. Some of them are built very close to the originals, but never 100%, so what is the point of the "continuation" process, apart from extracting money from the gullible?

Chris

I agree Chris, the "Continuation" thing is a very effective and cynical marketing exercise designed to make $$$ and will suck in those with big bucks and limited knowledge.

If I were lucky/wealthy enough to own an "original" it would piss me off as it has the potential to devalue the real thing.

Chris, I am, for one, not gullible, yet I own a continuation P2120. Thanks. I know what it is.

I would also suggest that one point of the "continuation" thing is an effort to get paid back for investing the resources towards the produciton of as "close to original" replica as possible and avoiding lawsuits from the owners of the GT40 name (which weren't, apparently, going to invest the resources to make the near original replica available to anyone). If a companies like Superformance and Hi-Tech and Safir can reach an agreement that satiisfies all and bring a great car to market - who loses here? I for one am thankful for their efforts.

I really don't think the continuation devalues the orginals either. I own a continuation and I know what it is - a real nice replica. If I owned an original, I would know that I am in a whole different league.

Sure they can ask $124k for the Shelby stuff, but the market will decide what it is worth. I paid around $65k for my SPF and I think it was well worth it.

Regards,
Mike

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mike, you may note I talked about "Big bucks and limited knowledge". I don't know how you are in the bucks department but I am sure your knowledge of all things GT40 is right up there.
Where IMHO the continuation thing may devalue the real deal, is because the lines get blurred and the less than knowledgeable may purchase a "continuation" thinking it is original and spending far more than a replica is worth.
Lets call a spade a spade. An original is a car that was born in the 60's and has a valid history. A replica is a replica, no matter what you call it, or how well it is constructed.

Back