Newbie SPFGT40 Questions

I'm amused as to how many owners would now like RHD. Look at the threads about it and all of the "you can't drive on the right hand side of the road with RHD" etc.

The first GT40 I street drove was a RHD Safir and it was no big deal. I have driven an AC 428 Frua Coupe RHD on the road here and again, no real issues.

I am taking orders for RHD cars currently!:)

Yep, I know... I always wanted RHD but the desire to get the car when I did and the "pro's" of the one that was available overcame the RHD desire.. At least for me

Hi guys,

Well I don't post very often because I have little experience on SPF GT40 comparing to you here but I can give feedbacks about two things: AVON & RHD.

I never wanted a LHD GT40 even if in France we drive on the right side of the roads. As we are partially in the center of the car it's not a problem and not too difficult to drive the car.
In the US it's easier than in France, you have large roads and large bends.
The only problem for me is when I'm behind a truck and I want to double it. You have to let more space between the truck and you but you never stay long time behind it.....
Before buying my RHD GT40 I talked to friends who have differents English cars (RHD) and they told me that with time it's not a problem. And they were right... When I bought my car I went to pick-it up to London and brung it in south of France (850 miles trip). After that trip driving a RHD car in France was not a problem for me....

About the AVON, after comparing different tyres with some friends, the CR6ZZ are for us the best tyres for a GT40. We drive regularly our cars at forbidden speed and they have never betrayed us. Moreover on european race tracks most of racers use AVON.

OliveR

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
We should have a central gathering of GT40s in TX, I know of several people in AR, MO, KS and TX, and thats a lot closer than CA or the East Coast. I've been to College Station and been on the tract for a touring lap it was great.

Randy, be careful on cold tires and cold temps, the nailing part might be in your coffin, I have had tire skip over 100 mph and I'm not a race car driver.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm no race car driver either but spent years racing MX and I agree. "Nailing" it in the strictest since of the word is never a good idea. Rolling into it is a better technique as I'm sure the real race car drivers would attest to.

How about getting a track day event for the GT40 forum at the Circuit of the Americas? I would attend any gt40 national rally wherever it ended up being. I would be happy to assist in organizing such an event as long as someone with experience was leading the effort.

634987789828455252Untitled-1.jpg

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'm no race car driver either but spent years racing MX and I agree. "Nailing" it in the strictest since of the word is never a good idea. Rolling into it is a better technique as I'm sure the real race car drivers would attest to.

How about getting a track day event for the GT40 forum at the Circuit of the Americas? I would attend any gt40 national rally wherever it ended up being. I would be happy to assist in organizing such an event as long as someone with experience was leading the effort.

634987789828455252Untitled-1.jpg

Ok let's do it!

Nailing it is an expression for me which could be from a start or from a roll on. I nailed it in 2nd and 3rd and couldn't believe how hard it pulled in third, it was just amazing. I did a roll on first gear run later, in accompany with my brother a former race car driver and mechanic and he was impressed. It's warm here and tires were properly warmed up, sorting the car slowly to see what works and what doesn't.

I have a Cobra continuation car with a Roush 451FE Big Block so I know something about power to weight ratio, but it still impresses me.

I live just outside of Austin and the Circuit of the America's track would be on my bucket list to run, need to run with someone else or lots of folks because the track fees are horrendous. Count me in if we could make it happen. A friend of mine ran in the GT1 race recently and he said it was amazing.

Randy

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would think we would need one of our fearless forum leaders to get the ball rolling? I am thinking there are a plethora of guys on here including Ron that have a lot of track day experience who could make recommendations and have the clout to make initial contact with whatever venue was decided upon. Having never attended a track day or staged an event like this I am clueless. if someone wants to point me in the right direction I will start knocking on doors.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I would think we would need one of our fearless forum leaders to get the ball rolling? I am thinking there are a plethora of guys on here including Ron that have a lot of track day experience who could make recommendations and have the clout to make initial contact with whatever venue was decided upon. Having never attended a track day or staged an event like this I am clueless. if someone wants to point me in the right direction I will start knocking on doors.

Well, uhhh.... ahem....

I have done this before with the Spacecity Panteras Club here in Houston.

We've done TWS (Jack and Mike have both been there before), Texas Motorsports Ranch and Houston Motorsports.

I too would love to run COTA, but it would be mucho expensive, as has been noted.

I ran my GT40 on the track when Jack and Mike were there at TWS, but I did have fuel problems, which thanks to Jack, have been fixed.

Now then, how much interest is there?

And easy way to do it is join the Driver's Edge.
The Drivers Edge

Their schedule is there... How fast do you want to do this?
We could even work it in with the Pantera guys.

Who wants track time and who just wants to get together?

Should I make a new thread?

Kirby

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Here are my feelings. It needs to be a get together that includes a track day and maybe a couple days of group excursions and drives. Having a host or at least a host venue that would include safe and secure parking of cars and trailers would be a must. A track day would be great but I would not want to share it at least at the same time with a bunch of teenage V-TEC driving crazies. How did the last event at Kolher come about? How do we reproduce that?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Price is a factor for me and I will say TWS is pretty darn nice and as Kirby said weather is good at least far as heat is concerned in September or October which is a tad cooler.

Back