Newbie SPFGT40 Questions

What options are available to move the seat forward more? I noticed several pics of wedges behind the seats...

VIN Plate: I have contacted SPF and read in the Shelby Registry that some early cars came without VIN Plates, mine is not in the engine bay, still waiting on all my papers from the seller but I know the number. UPDATE! VIN is in the mail.

License plate brackets: seen these all over the map, saw one pic located in the middle of the car in lieu of the normal vented area in rear.

Car Covers: what do you suggest?

Adjust speedo: mine is not accurate, suggestions?

GT40 Guru: I heard there was one in the Austin, Tx. area but no contact information yet. Looking to have a second pair of eyes.

Thanks, Randy

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My VIN plate is in the cab behind the right side seat.

I ended up with a plate setup that mounts inside the right rear screen. It is easily visible and I have yet to be hassled for it. Cleans up the rear of the car nicely. PM me if you are interested in one.

My speedo may have been accurate if I could have read it but it bounced around all over and was unusable. I replaced it with a Speedhut GPS unit that I like a lot. Dead accurate and has some nice memory settings.

2012081104.jpg

fe.jpg

2012042302.jpg

I have early cars. VIN is on backside of passenger bulkhead.
I also obtained one of the FAV IDs and it is riveted inside passenger side on the bulkhead.

Car covers- SPF sells the cover made for your car- Call Dennis Olthoff, or other SPF dealer.

Speedo-Some use the GPS update. Works great but color is off for my liking. I purchased one electric version that uses a proximity sensor that counts the rear axle as it rotates. Also very accurate.

Tag mount-Dennis installs a stainless steel with internal lighting. Very clean design and doesn't hide the state name (NC has a law not to block the state name or use colored plastic). I've not known of anyone getting a ticket.

Hope this helps...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Grady, the Speedhut units can be ordered in matching black. I'm getting ready to pull mine and have them put a black face on it. Yellow went ok with the red car but its not a red car for much longer :)

Okay guys, tell me which 15" tires you are using. I have a Cobra so I'm familiar with what is out there, found Hoosiers that are ZR rated curious if anyone is using those and expensive Avon's not sure. I use a Mickey Thompson SR on my Cobra and love them but probably won't attain the high speeds I might want to in the GT40 so really need some good tires. Thought of going to BRM 17" wheels just more expense.

Thanks, Randy

Olthoff sells a speedo correction box that goes between the end of the cable and the gearbox. Bought mine 5 years ago, but should be under $100. That's assuming your speedo is reading too fast. If you have an erratic needle too then get a new cable or go the electronic speedo route.
Concerning the seat I put foam behind it, but later removed that and moved the pedals rearward instead.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

I am on my second set of the 15' Avons, although they are slightly more expensive than the others, they are great tires and to my eye have just the right "look". Plus I got almost 30,000 miles on my first set (no track days).

Chassis number location: I heard it was behind the driver in the engine bay, well I'm blind..........anyone give me a hint exactly where to look?!

Thanks, Randy

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

I am on my second set of the 15' Avons, although they are slightly more expensive than the others, they are great tires and to my eye have just the right "look". Plus I got almost 30,000 miles on my first set (no track days).
Avons for sure

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis mounted my license plate on the frame below the exhaust. Dennis' foam wedge behind the seats is something I'd highly recommend.

I'm still running the B.F. Goodrich Radial T/As, but they're only rated to 112mph. I'm planning to switch to AVONs soon. Jim, I'm glad to hear you've gotten such good mileage with them.

Attachments

• SPF License Plate.jpg
    SPF License Plate.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 289

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That is where Dennis mounted mine as well. It didn't look bad at all but IMO looks a lot better mounted inside vs out.

2012072802.jpg

2012081800.jpg

I have BFG TA's as well and yes they are a joke in this car. But, the Avon's are only a V rating, but if you look up how they received this speed rating, that's at continuous use. I looked at the Hoosier R6's but they state not intended for street use even though they are DOT approved.

Not sure where I want to put the license plate...I like the inside idea.

I have bought some parts from Olthoff just to get me started, they suggested moving the pedals, but think the foam would be an easy fix.

Thanks so far for the help, awesome cars here.

Randy

Back