Newbie SPFGT40 Questions

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Randy, I've been sporting the R6's for years. They suck for milage, no tread pattern, I would never push 'em on wet or damp surfaces and they don't quite fill the wheel wells like the Avons. But they ride and handle great, I really like them.

Seeing the mileage Jim's getting sure entices me to try the Avons.

Tim

Try the 15" Avons. I went out Sunday for a short 130 mile drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway (still has icicles). Nice ride and they stick like glue. They will pick up debris because of their softness, so make sure your inner foam is mounted to the inside of the fender wells.
When I track the Cobra I use 17" rims with Michelin SuperSports, also sticky.

Grady - I assume you stuck to the 45mph speed limit on the Parkway?!

~50 mph. easier to see. Less than 5 or 6 cars the trip. Nice nice ride. You get very little time to look around and still drive. An off road exit could put you hundreds of feet down the hillside into the tree tops and maybe not found for weeks or months.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'm on my fifth year with Avons, they have almost 10k on them and are getting a little hard but you can heat the rears up pretty easy. :)

The vin number is located just as described here is a picture where mine is located, the back support I got from Dennis is a aluminum piece that goes between the seat back and the rear bulkhead engine plate its so my shoulders don't hurt on long trips and it works very well, one other purpose is my helmet fits perfectly in the bubble now.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 267
  • gt40 cover 001.JPG
    gt40 cover 001.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 264
  • gt40 cover 002.JPG
    gt40 cover 002.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 264

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That is interesting. Mine is inside the cab behind the right seat up about head high. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. I think it is kind of neat that these cars have these sort of differences.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Really interesting as we are only 3 numbers apart. Wonder if those guys at the factory drink on the job like the old Lamborghini factory?:laugh:

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Mine is the same as Jacks, P/2264 has its data plate/VIN# down low, left side, rear firewall.

Getting in late here... Dennis asked me where I wanted mine.
I asked where were they supposed to be?

I ended up with it behind the passenger.

FWIW,
Kirby

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Getting in late here... Dennis asked me where I wanted mine.
I asked where were they supposed to be?

I ended up with it behind the passenger.

FWIW,
Kirby

Earlier cars the plates were installed stateside. Currently they are done at Hi Tech as per agreement with Safir and installed low on the LH, engine side of the bulkhead. As the majority of cars here are LHD this allows easy access for the LEO when you are pulled over at low warp speeds...................

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Off the subject but if I had to do it all over again and had a choice, I would want a right hand drive MK1 with wide body and a roll cage and put a 331 small block in it. But looks like thats never going to happen with the dollar devaluation. I am very proud of what I have and blessed to have it, but would have done things a little different if done over.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have similar feelings but instead of wishing to start over I am just going to make the changes to the car I have. Anyone interested in a Roush 427R with 2k miles? I'll make you a deal...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm amused as to how many owners would now like RHD. Look at the threads about it and all of the "you can't drive on the right hand side of the road with RHD" etc.

The first GT40 I street drove was a RHD Safir and it was no big deal. I have driven an AC 428 Frua Coupe RHD on the road here and again, no real issues.

I am taking orders for RHD cars currently!:)

Steve

Supporter
Off the subject but if I had to do it all over again and had a choice, I would want a right hand drive MK1 with wide body and a roll cage and put a 331 small block in it. But looks like thats never going to happen with the dollar devaluation. I am very proud of what I have and blessed to have it, but would have done things a little different if done over.

Jack,

Just curious, I get all your points except the wide body. Is it the look? Because the '68 and '69 were wide bodies?

I'm late to the GT40 party and still planning. Have a 302 being built, not even a stroker. Webers. Planning for RHD, traditional. Haven't given the wide body as much thought.......yet.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
What options are available to move the seat forward more? I noticed several pics of wedges behind the seats...

Car Covers: what do you suggest?

Thanks, Randy

California Car Cover make the very best car covers for all cars, and especially for the GT40 MkIs. They have a soft beautiful texture, are light weight, easy to store, and are hand made in U.S. from cotton, and can have any logo or name added by embroidery. Some dealers sell them for $400, but you can acquire them direct. They are located in Chatsworth, Kalifornia.

Avons: I have limited experience with the 15" Avons. Some observations are: ride well on smooth streets, but ride is pretty rough on rough streets due to bias-ply rather than steel belts.

Currently using 10" wide Avons at front, 14" Avons at rear. Wider tires tend to want to "track", "wander", or "search" when riding on uneven cement roads, especially if they have wide road groves with elevation changes. They are very sturdy tires. But still, they are racing slicks and are not DOT approved, but can be grooved as mine were, with old style treads, or any of the other six tread designs.

I ordered and will soon receive new 17" BR six spoked knock-off type wheels with very similar widths. Plan to use Michelin Pilot sport tires, zero pressure in front, and standard in rear. Will use for street driving, and will change to 15" Avons for shows.

Haven't had good luck with Avons wearing well, but jury still out. I have run them at the suggested 18 LBS, and still have uneven wear. Alignment is okay.

I do know from personal experience that Michelin PS will be quiet, smooth, run-flats, and I easily got 27,000 miles on rears on my 2011 525 H.P. Z06/Z07, and I was not overly gentle on them.

Good luck with your project. Robert

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,

Just curious, I get all your points except the wide body. Is it the look? Because the '68 and '69 were wide bodies?

I'm late to the GT40 party and still planning. Have a 302 being built, not even a stroker. Webers. Planning for RHD, traditional. Haven't given the wide body as much thought.......yet.

It's the looks that's all, you will be happy with a 302 and live longer.

Back