Paul's RCR GT40 build

Paul T.

Supporter
Thanks for the quick reply! My solution is to add something like this to drain the system, where it exits the chassis near the engine. Thoughts? I also need to make a fan shroud. Can I ask why you put, what appear to be decorative slots in it?

View attachment 136125
I like that, to be able to drain at the engine also. The slots in the fan shroud will be covered with flap of rubber so that excess air at speed can flow thru but at slow speeds the fans still have good pull thru the radiator.

Tim Collins

Supporter
I like that, to be able to drain at the engine also. The slots in the fan shroud will be covered with flap of rubber so that excess air at speed can flow thru but at slow speeds the fans still have good pull thru the radiator.
Ok that make sense given the location of the radiator in this car. Where did you learn and is it necessary? At speed wouldn't just find its way thru fan, maybe at the expense of a little aero or downforce loss?

BTW been following your build posts and have more questions. I've been working on our build for 5 years now, on and off...but mostly off. Every time we start working on it again, my buddy Chris that I'm building it for makes changes and we end up 2 steps back. I recently agreed to finish it this year, under one condition. No more changes except for cosmetic or bolt on stuff he can update at final assembly! One item that is going to conflict is that he wants to redo the roll cage. I don't disagree because the RCR is crude and doesn't fit well. I told him I'm finishing the body work with the RCR cage and he'll have to work around that when we are done. I noticed how you redid your cage behind the firewall and starting me thinking about the advantages to that. Can you elaborate on the benefits of that?

Paul T.

Supporter
Ok that make sense given the location of the radiator in this car. Where did you learn and is it necessary? At speed wouldn't just find its way thru fan, maybe at the expense of a little aero or downforce loss?

BTW been following your build posts and have more questions. I've been working on our build for 5 years now, on and off...but mostly off. Every time we start working on it again, my buddy Chris that I'm building it for makes changes and we end up 2 steps back. I recently agreed to finish it this year, under one condition. No more changes except for cosmetic or bolt on stuff he can update at final assembly! One item that is going to conflict is that he wants to redo the roll cage. I don't disagree because the RCR is crude and doesn't fit well. I told him I'm finishing the body work with the RCR cage and he'll have to work around that when we are done. I noticed how you redid your cage behind the firewall and starting me thinking about the advantages to that. Can you elaborate on the benefits of that?
I've seen it on other fan shrouds and figure the more air I can get thru the better.
I do track and AutoX and didn't like the supplied roll bar or forward cage at all. By moving it behind the firewall I was able to get it farther out to the sides of the car and also taller. Where the supplied had no diagonal cross bracing, I now have diagonal bracing of sorts and a much bigger base mounting plate. The only draw back is forward cage construction has to be designed around the firewall. I also feel the rear braces are better except for the exhaust design is tighter.

Paul T.

Supporter
Building the firewall-spider wings for mounting stuff. Shape figured out so now to decide which side to put the expansion and recovery tank on and get those designed and built. Also got my collectors and head exhaust flanges, now to buy some mandrel bends to hook the two together. Exciting....
20240411_173033.jpg

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Building the firewall-spider wings for mounting stuff. Shape figured out so now to decide which side to put the expansion and recovery tank on and get those designed and built. Also got my collectors and head exhaust flanges, now to buy some mandrel bends to hook the two together. Exciting....
View attachment 137984
Looking forward to seeing your firewall wings. I have been looking at the wings Chuck installed. I am also considering Tom’s double firewall mod.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Paul, I am hoping to receive my RCR40 this week (fingers crossed). I am thinking that one of the first things I am going to work on is plumbing, including the cooling system so following your build log closely. Cheers, Randy

Paul, I am hoping to receive my RCR40 this week (fingers crossed). I am thinking that one of the first things I am going to work on is plumbing, including the cooling system so following your build log closely. Cheers, Randy
When did you order it? Coming up on month 14 of waiting for mine. Ordered the first week of March 2023.

Back