Pete B's Build Thread

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Made some progress on the dash today:

Started the process of grafting in some Audi TT A/C vents. I really like the look and how they operate (twist the ring to open/close), but they're a bit too big, so it took a bit of surgery to make it fit. Still needs some filler work, but you get the idea. I also bought some Audi TT interior door handles that match the A/C vents.

Pete looking through your thread. I noticed about the seedo sensor & having problems "reading" acuratly. I thought about the same type of set up. But then found they now make a GPS based unit that works with any electronic speedo. I got one to use in my Lotus since the trans. doesn't have a speedo drive. They're prety reasonable at about $150 I think Speedway has them or Summit. Another route you might think about.

GPS spedos are great, you can do 0-60 time, 1/4 mile times etc. just make sure the spedo is capable of accepting GPS signal, most are.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm going to try the standard KOSO sender before I look at a GPS sensor. I followed the directions that came with the KOSO gauge, and I don't see why it won't work. Maybe RCR has made a design change, but the rear surface of the hubs where the studs are on my car are flat and smooth, so the Koso sensor should read the back of the studs without a problem.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Some recent progress:

Finished melding the Audi TT vents into the dashed. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Overhead console with eyeball map lights, lighted switch panel, and dome light:

Made a aluminum enclosure to keep the wiring dry:

A/C plenum installed:

Great looking build. The only thing I might want to touch upon is your brass fittings attached to your fuel filter.

DSC_0221_zps15750ded.jpg

We have seen brass fittings crack numerous times when they are holding something heavy like a filter thats filled with fuel, and vibrating like crazy because it's solid mounted to the chassis.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
There's six switches:

1) Accusump
2) Engine compartment fans
3) Interior lights
4) Lift fuel pump (I'm going to wire this so the fuel pump from the main tank to the surge tank runs with the main fuel pump, but so I can run it manually also to fill the surge tank if the car has been sitting)
5) Amplifier (no head unit so need a switch to turn it on)
6) ?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
It's got a soft feel to it, like the material on many OEM dashes and it's easy to change if I want to.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Finished up all the under dash wiring today. Just need to got buy a couple RCA cables then I can install the dash permanently.

[/QUOTE]

Wow! Is that duct tape actually being used on a duct? Kinda weird seeing it where it belongs... :drunk:

Very nice Pete...I think I may steal your Audi TT vent idea. Looks great!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Wow! Is that duct tape actually being used on a duct? Kinda weird seeing it where it belongs... :drunk:

Very nice Pete...I think I may steal your Audi TT vent idea. Looks great!

:laugh: I had a laugh at myself about that also. I think it's the first time I've ever used duct tape on a duct!

I stole the TT vent idea from a GTM guy on FFCars, so steal away!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Almost done with the interior, will post pics when it's finished. So far, I've finished insulating and plastidipping or carpeting all the interior fiberglass panels, have all the wiring run, have the interior roof panel and the under-door closeout panels installed.

I bought Superflex carpet from Albright Supply: Superflex Carpet DK GRAY. It's really nice stuff. Almost 1/2 thick, cuts easily, stretches, and doesn't require edging.

Ordered a LS376/480 controller kit today from Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19258267) so I can finish the pedal box install and totally finish the wiring. After that's done it'll be time to order the engine. Just for re-sale considerations, I had planned on an E-Rod LS3. However, after doing some research, it won't pass emissions anyway if I modify the exhaust at all, which would be required to make it fit. So, LS376/480 it is.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Yes. It won't be very hard to remove the dash. The front rollbar covers have to be removed, the gauges disconnected (three plugs), and a/c vent hoses disconnected.

Back