Pete B's Build Thread

Why? Both the engine and wiring harness are from GM performance.

My tuner mentioned the same thing, but I think the gold blade TB issue has to do with putting in a new crate with an older ECM. The newer gold blade TB's open in the opposite direction. From what I understand, if you have a new crate and a new GM sourced ECM, designed for each you should have no problem. My crate from 2012 had the silver blade.

I could be wrong but this is what I gathered from my research.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I just read the instructions sheet online for the harness. It no longer mentions that fact. Be aware that it previously mentioned the need to change throttle bodies in previous versions of the instruction sheet. I'd confirm this with other builders that have used the latest GM harness.

They could have resolved that issue as Mike mentioned above.

Last edited:
the newer (gold) tbs open in reverse and have a weaker motor and are cheaper (and crappier, heh).

if you have issues when running replace w/ an older silver (better) model, otherwise just use the gold one

As long as the newer gold blade throttle body is matched with the newer GM ECM and harness it will work perfectly.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've been prepping the engine, installing the accessories, and ordering all the fasteners needed to install the clutch, flywheel, and transaxle. The crate engine didn't come with engine mount brackets, so I've been searching for those. Got a passenger side bracket on e-bay, but still looking for a drivers side bracket.

I bought an adapter from Improved Racing in order to plumb the Accusump into the oiling system. The oil pressure and temp sensors screwed into it also:

Before:

After:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Got the intake and valve covers reversed and the accessories mounted. Waiting on the driver's side motor mount bracket to arrive before I can put it in the car.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm going to take Bill's approach and just shorten the inlet and use a 90 degree molded hose. The thermostat housing can easily be unbolted if it needs to be modified.

Can you maybe get a little more belt wrap on the water pump & Alternator -- just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• belt config-wrap.jpg
    belt config-wrap.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 410

Keith

Are those pulleys just idlers? Fooled me, when I looked at the pic quickly I assumed they were OHC cam drives which then got me thinking "what the heck kind of motor is that?" :)

Sorry for thread drift..

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Took a break from the SLC this weekend to build the kids a slot car track. Landscaping will be a winter project.

Oh man, that looks like fun! I remember my slot car track. Then my brother and I got a TCR set for Christmas one year. That was a blast! Is that a cross over I see? How does that work with the slot?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The crossover is a lane change section. It's a digital track - each car is controlled separately and can run on either lane. You can run up to six cars on the track at a time. When approaching the lane change, you push a button on the controller to change lanes.

Pretty cool, a buddy and I built an HO slot track in my parents garage when we were in 6th grade. His car of preference was a 917, mine, a 512M. Simple pleasures, oh what fun those days were.

Back