Power & Tires

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
My CR6ZZ Avons have been on my car for 5 years. I have about 12,000 miles on them. The tread still looks fine but the traction has degraded to the point where I'm probably going to change them in 2020. Prior to the Avons I had BF Goodrich T/A Radials and I would not go back to those. I know that a lot of Cobra guys use Cooper tires on their cars. But those aren't suitable for occasional track use.

Just not many options available.....

Anyone got feedback on Mickey Thompson Sportsman 19*18.00R15LT (Rear) and 28*12.00R15LT (Front) ... I mention because the Mickey Thompsons are road legal; whereas the Avons are a 'For Racing Use only'. Speed Rating is rather poor "H" (210kmh/130mph)

The best (widest + performance) are possibly the Pirelli P Zero 355/30R19 or Michelin Pilot SportCup 345/30R19 109Y (rear)

Anyone got feedback on Mickey Thompson Sportsman 19*18.00R15LT (Rear) and 28*12.00R15LT (Front) ... I mention because the Mickey Thompsons are road legal; whereas the Avons are a 'For Racing Use only'. Speed Rating is rather poor "H" (210kmh/130mph)

The best (widest + performance) are possibly the Pirelli P Zero 355/30R19 or Michelin Pilot SportCup 345/30R19 109Y (rear)
your looking at the wrong Avons. the CR6ZZ are fully road legal. They are a great tyre

your looking at the wrong Avons. the CR6ZZ are fully road legal. They are a great tyre

Yes Jason, the Avon CR6ZZ is a road legal tire, but maximum width is 295/50R15 - which is pretty skinny for the back end of a wide body Mk1. Avon do a 15" 'Historic all Weather' in a 13.0/25.0-15 which is meant for a 14" wide rear wheel; but they are not road legal.

The Mickey Thompson tires come closest; but seem to be more of a 'show tire' than a performance tire - I wonder if anyone has experience with them ?

Anyone got experience with these ?

Attachments

• Mickey_Thompson_GT40_Rear.jpg
    Mickey_Thompson_GT40_Rear.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 259
Anyone got experience with these ?

The Pirelli P Zero is a much better tire than the Mickey Thompson; but requires 12"-13" wide rim and 19" diameter. Not much good if running 14" wide and 15" diameter rears.

Attachments

• Pirelli_GT40_Rear.jpg
    Pirelli_GT40_Rear.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 236
We have customers using them on Cobra, none on a GT40 as far as I know. Here is a size chart:
https://mickeythompsontires.com/street-tires/sportsman-s-r#sizes

Note that they carry the "LT" (light truck) rating. The people we have with them on Cobras are in the 2300-2550# weight area and they are happy with the grip.

Hi Rick ... No; I do not believe the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R has a LT (Light Truck) Rating ... they do have other tires that certainly do, but not the Sportsman S/R. My personal opinion is that it is an older technology (Speed Rating = H is a clue) Radial Show Car (Hot-Rod) Tire. Which is why I am curious about anyone using them for circuit work. I do not mean to offend the Cobra guys, but I suspect their chassis / suspension is not sufficiently refined to fully load up very high performance radials (eg. Michelin Pilot Sport / Pirelli P Zero class tires)

Back