RCR #010 Build Progress

We got the car all done and took her on her maiden drive. A total failure!! Right rear bearing seized about a mile from home. Had to have it towed.

And because the bearing seized, the car wouldn't roll off the flatbed. We had to use a floor jack to raise teh right rear wheel off the ground.

DSCN1784.jpg

DSCN1783.jpg

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Bummer, but it will all work out. I've seen my share of tow trucks with my projects, believe me!

Hang in there....she's beautiful!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'd definately check out the other 3 bearings to see if they are tight/loose...

That's crazy...

After Xmas, I'll replace all 4. I hate having to pay $700+ for something that should not have failed after only 1 mile of easy driving.

Glad it wasn't worse. This just part of building - I have always taken small drives and worked my way up to longer ones to see if there will be any problems. Enjoy the experience and take pride in your build.

I know the Vette bearings are pretty tough, we use em on the TVR & its completed 6 seasons of racing now with no problems & I dont believe they were new when initially fitted either. I have heard of 'el cheapo' copies being marketed.

That said with the large amount of offset on the rear hubs of your car in particular Bill it will pay to check them at regular intervals once you get these initial bugs ironed out.

I have an old saying for times like this''''''S**T HAPPEN'S'''''':) & all you can do is grin & bear it. What happened to you there is tiddlywinks compared to what I did to my own pride on Friday-- but Im just starting to see the funny side of what I did now, only just mind you!:)

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
That sucks Bill.

Personally I don't think it's a bearing!

Whip the wheel off now, no work at all, and it'll be dead obvious what has happened, and you can put your mind to rest.

If the bearing was seized you wouldn't be able to wobble the wheel like that. It would be tight as a drum! With a collapsed bearing I dont think you would be able to move the wheel to that extent as the disc and caliper would limit the movement. My guess is something has broken or come undone causing something to bind up stopping the car from rolling freely.

Good luck

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
No, loose or broken bolts holding the(chinese) wheel bearing to the upright??
The suspense is killing me ---
Nice looking car though Bill and I can relate to your frustrations , however you are past the point of no return

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
In looking at the video, I would have to agree with Chris. It looks more like the bolts came out of the bearing retainer.............
Once you get this sorted out it would be wise to put a wrench on every fastener in the suspension again.
Keith

Back