RCR #010 Build Progress

Keith

Re: Working on the engine now

Very nice looking motor Bill, however I do have a comment re: the Gyptal. Although anything to speed the return of oil to the pan is very welcome, I found in the past that it is a very tough call to get the Gyptal to stick everywhere, and I did experience some flakes in the filters after time, so I hot tanked it off and totally deburred and deflashed the lifter and timing chain gallery with an air grinder leaving it smooth. This is a useful exercise as one can also radius the lifter valley oil return holes as well further improving oil return. needless to say, you should stay well clear of the lifter bores with the grinder when doing this. Of course, for a street motor this is a pretty superfluous and unecessary exercise but for racing - it's the LAW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

John B

Temp Selling Pass

Man,

There is no way bill has a wife. Or a job! with all that progress in such a short period of time. If I spend that much time in the garage my wife would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif and then I would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned.gif from the bedroom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifso in order for me to make her happy, i will have to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gifher and give her a little of this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif and this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif until she does this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifthen she will do this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/zzzzz.gifand then i can go out to the garage and take my car for nice long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif Just Kidding.. My wife is very understanding that my cars are my mistresses. .

Keep up the good work Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oliver

I am not married, but I do live with my girlfriend and my two kids, 13 and 16. I plan my time well, and I'm sure to give Diane all the attention she wants while playing taxi service to my kids' activities.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gifSplendid build progress, Bill. Keep the photos coming--the RCR is at the top of my short list and I am anxious to see the full range of the build. My contract with Fran is 3 years away, but it will help greatly to see how you do it so I can see if I can do it, too. I'm pretty familiar around a car with standard tools, and I've built my own motors for years, but fabricating something like that awesome front end treatment is beyone my skills. For my build simpler is better--so far I know that other than the aluminum welding, etc. I can do this, too.

One of the great things about this forum is all the tips--sourcing is one of my challenges. I really like the way this forum attracts the techies--aircraft, helicopter, boat--it's all good!

Like Jerry said, "Onward through the fog"! You bear a remarkable likeness, BTW!

Added the caps in the corners of the front frame.

aluminum%20021.jpg

Bill D

Bill

It appears you've installed residual valves in your brake lines. Are the reservoirs above the caliper level?

MikeD

They're the same level. But since the lines go up above the master cylinders, I decided to play it safe and add the valves (front and rear).

Bill D

Wheels Back From The Polisher

After Fran had the wheels widened from 10" to 14" I sent them and the fronts to be polished. Here are the rears, before and after.

Before...

wheels%20003.jpg

And after...

wheels%20007.jpg

wheels%20006.jpg

Next, they're off to have the centers painted orange.

Cheers
Bill D

Now the wheel have been painted and polished

After having the rims polished to a mirror finish, I sent them to the painter. He just sent me pictures of them. The color is 2003 Lambo Orange.

painted%20wheels001.jpg

painted%20wheels002.jpg

I should have them in my hands next week to mount my AVON historic tread tires.

Bill D

And I also made a spoiler similar to the one on 1076P

Here is 1076P...
originalspoiler.JPG

And here is my copy temporarily taped to the car until I can have slots milled.
spoiler%20001.jpg

Bill D

Bill D - your wheels look great, and I have been enjoying your thread with great interest. VERY VERY nice work so far. Will you be putting the vent holes above the rear tail lights? I liked the looks of those and had requested those on my RF....

Mitch D

PS - when the Ross Dairies Police come by, be sure to claim you "found" the crate on the street and have "no idea" where it came from.......

Bill,
I am very interested in the rear wheels you have. What are the numbers on the wheels(backspacing, offset, etc.), and what measurements did you use to figure out how to fit under the arches?

Bill

Mitch-
I'll be sure to paint over the Ross Dairy lettering. I'm still deciding if I want to attempt the holes. We'll see.

Bill-
The wheels are 15x10 Vintage Wheels that have been widened to 15x14. The backspace on the rears is 3.75". The fronts are 15x8 with 4.25" backspacing.

Bill D

Back