RCR P4 progress

I just thought I'd make a few comments on my P4 build with the Ferrari V12. I can start a build thread to post pictures of my progress, and go into more detail, but I want to say some (unsolicited) words about Fran and his crew.
This build was to be as close to turn-key as reasonable with an engine I had sent him. It was at his shop a year and a half, and I TRIED to be patient. The car arrived last summer, and my work could start. This engine is long & wide! That meant lots of customization. Every part of this car that I dig into still amazes me. Even parts that aren't normally seen were made with a high level of craftsmanship.
I own a small manufacturing company with 25 to 30 employees and you can't watch everyone all the time. Fran, or someone there, must have great hiring, training, and leadership skills. From what I have seen, his team should all be proud of the job they accomplished on my car, from the alternator bracket to the wonderful paint finish. Yes, I have changed several things, but this was to suit my tastes and needs - and besides, I'm having a blast.
Anyway, THANKS GUYS!
2002_0101p4more0087.jpg

2002_0101p4more0073.jpg

Jim

I was involved with a company in the Detroit area that did alot of work for GM's prototype people and Fran hired some of them when the company went under. His team is very skilled.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jim - your car is very beautiful... I look forward to seeing it this summer when we make it out your way, or when you bring it to the track up at Brainerd for a little action.... Maybe we can share the track together GT40 / P4 .... Great photo opportunity eh?

Silly question time - I'm studying the pictures and noticed how thin the fiberglass is around the front windshield - how does one possibly remove the centre spyder without putting too much stress on that area and risk crack it?

Randy, that would be a blast. Just don't take too many pictures of you lapping me! I'm quite a bit more timid on the track than you.
Jim

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, that would be a blast. Just don't take too many pictures of you lapping me! I'm quite a bit more timid on the track than you.
Jim

Jim,

Not to worry - I'm not geared for top end (only ~175 or so)... :)

I'm still on the move here and going to try very hard to have the car on the track for the Trans-Am race at Brainerd on Labor Day weekend. There will also be a companion Vintage event.
I've been talking with the powers that be in the local Vintage organization to get homologation for the GT40 into their ranks. From the sound of it the only gap we have is the lack of fuel cells. Not that this is insurmountable, but I am out of budget now (Thank you Uncle Sam and the Tax Man)...
So I could either put fuel cells in it and show up without paint - or...

At any rate - We will most likely be able to get track time.
Also - With my working at the driving school, I can probably bring it up and get some track time that way too..

Regardless - when we take to the track together, we will have people stationed around the track snapping pictures and I'll have video in my car and we can put one of my cameras in your car as well..

Looks like I've just come up with one more solid reason to get the car done sooner than later! :)

I vote for everything (video... pics..all all)

I love this car and love Fran and his staff (Fran, I still save your signature on the envelope of the jacket...better than Michael jackson one for me !)

Too cool car.

Jim, which Ferrari engine is in the car? just curious. And which transaxle?

Jim - it's the early carburated 400 engine on a 930 transaxle. I've heard of a place that will tweek the cams and do a few other mods, but I'm not sure I need it, and besides, I'd like it to stay together. The're tough engines, but also expensive to repair. Any way, I don't think it would help me on the track with Randy - He'd probably pass me in a Toyota Camry (if the gas pedal doesn't stick)!

Randy, the track outing sounds great - wouldn't miss it.

Jim

Back