RCR's Next car should be.....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I wish i knew something about engine design to know the difficulties of designing a custom engine block and crank for those 'busa heads.

I don't know if you have heard of the Cizeta Moroder V16T. But they made a V16 from 2 old lambo v8's (I think Jalpa engine?). The resulting engine has 4 lambo heads and 8 camshafts on a common block and crank.

This practice of combining multiple engines has been around for a very long time.

Below you'll see the pictures of a 30 cylinder Tank Engine - No KIDDING!!! Fully rebuilt by my pals at Carriage House Custom Automotive. It's a 1942 Sherman Tank - Multibank 30 Cylinder using 5 Dodge 251cid 6 cylinders. We're trying to figure out how to get her mounted up on the Dyno...

Tank_Eng_1.jpg

Tank_Eng_2.jpg

Tank_Eng_3.jpg

Tank_Eng_4.jpg

Now - which RCR should this monster go into?

Err... Say Fran - you're not into Tanks are you??

If we are going to get serious power how about this baby, some of them made 3500bhp by the end of WW11 (H24 layout)
2,350-3,000 H.P. Napier Sabre Sleeve Valve Engine
FS-R42.jpg

John

Howard Jones

Supporter
What do I think about this little car? I think that it is closer to a track only car for the masses than anything you currently are offering. It would be more budget friendly than a 917 because a Chevy would be more suitable than the Porsche motor needed for a 917.

How about this little car without any street equipment such as lights and plopped onto the Lola alum chassis and set up for a G50/SBC?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Man that was fast. I was looking through the older pages and on page 5 you showed us that M8F looking canam car. You said you have all the molds and could do it for people who want to build their own chassis.

Strange ..I was watching the Can Am race from Laguna today and thought about that dust collector....it would fit on one of the mono chassis quite easily...and would make a great looking car in McLaren Orange gelcoat

If I was to just sell a body to a home builder it could be done for the ambitious among us but I would want to do more than one at a time due to mould prep etc etc...otherwise a body would be too expensive to be viable.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
I guess you really already have such a product. The Lola spider that Ron is building is really just what the doctor ordered. Light, mid engine, old canam car more or less that can use a SBC. I like the SBC's because they can be done for so little money. About 10 bucks per HP under 500Hp.You can't do a Porsche for that. Back to the SLC piggy bank.

Oh and by the way. If you had been in business when I built Betty I'd have a RCR out in the garage named Betty.

Merry Christmas my friend.

Howard

Randy Great muti bank pics. I built Leno's tank car. check Blastolene.com for more.
I guess Fran just doen't think big enough. This looks like a job for BLASTOLENE ,Sorry about the drift Fran but you must admit its interesting!
Randy

I was in Italy earlier this year and photographed this in Prato. Thought it was a new exo-RCR from Fran, but it was badged Ligier.

Dalton

Attachments

• Ligier.jpg
    Ligier.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 654
Randy...dont apologise I love it...

Dalton
I had a long chat with engineers from Ligier at last years PRI show...they have an aluminum chassis race car and they were very complimentary of the RCR mono and design philosophy...I took it as quite a compliment

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Pat, in case you missed Fran's friendly sarcasm, the aluminium GT40 chassis is also used on the T70, the P4 and (I think?) the monocoque 917. Also the superlight roadster has interchangeable noses (3 in total?), so there is quite a choice there for you.
How cool would it be to have your GT40 on the garage floor, ready to drive and hanging on the wall are 3 different car "suits" that would require say 1-2 weeks for change over, hey presto - new car..... Ah Fran, you are a wicked man......

Sorry to butt in on an RCR thread, can't help it though...

Bill

With such a nice "Butt"...feel free....

(the mono chassis are similar but not close enough to rebody unfortunately....would have saved me a bloody fortune)

Back