RCR's Next car should be.....

I'd love a simple, light, mid-transverse engined car with modern aero. Like the SL-R with a LMP body put over it. Open top, no doors (and yeah, I'd race it in the rain).

I love the look of the SL-C... But I go through 4 sets of tires a year, give or take, and those 345/30/18 rears are expensive (and no, I cannot resist using anything smaller). I much prefer a smaller, lighter and simpler car with a transverse engine.

However I have no idea what sort of work and cost this would entail. There is also the issue of how the police would react, as the raciest things we see around here are Cobra replicas. I can't even imagine what they do when they see an Ariel Atom (other than tase first, ask questions later).

Ah well... Maybe I should just pick up some CFD software and learn how to work carbon fiber. How hard can it be? ;)

Grant "I wish I could pick up an Audi R10 from the dealership" B.

That link to that little car is just like a dream i had. A friend of mine saw that famous 'Gixxer kart', a go-kart with a motorcycle engine on it, and we got thinking about his old enduro kart chassis hanging on his wall. I thought it would be cool to scale this idea up and make an actual car. Looks like someone already has. That price is absurd, i could see charging that much if they only made one. This kinda looks like a cross between a giant go-kart and a formula SAE car. Looks awesome, and i like the concept. It shows a motorcycle engine on it now, but it says custom v8, i guess that could get expensive.

This kinda looks like a cross between a giant go-kart and a formula SAE car. Looks awesome, and i like the concept. It shows a motorcycle engine on it now, but it says custom v8, i guess that could get expensive.

And SAE cars cost under $25000 to make from ground up. (labour & manufacturing cost included) And real fun to drive. That custom engine probably costs alot too.

Last edited:
I met the engine designer a few months ago and the engine is in the region of 35k USD......minus trans mounts/adapters...nice but not that nice...uses Hayabusa parts too.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Is that the same V8 that Radical puts in their cars? Basically 2 Hyabusa (sp?) engines with a custom crankcase & crankshaft? All dry sump and supersweet and everything? Yeah, that's an expensive piece of machinery though!!

914??????...sorry not on my watch....

I am going to be building an aluminum chassised 904 in the very near future...as a one off commision to test viability....complete Boxster or VW based drivetrain so liquid cooling will be an option.
It will be a track based car as was every single 904 car built.....no frills, no plush interior...keeping it a real RACE CAR REPLICA of an otherwise almost non existent or available replica.

As a coupe it will a usable package if a customer wants to accessorise and make it a 'plush" street car...but it wont be an option from RCR.

The trend , as I see it is for more track based cars for the Country Club, gentleman type track day driver.... keep it simple....affordable and tunable

Last edited:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Fran
I like the way you worded that last paragraph and didn't use the word race. Putting aside the differences in words used to describe track activity around the world I agree that gentlemen type track day drivers like to get on the track to run their cars either against the clock or in a regularity, and good on them I say. Others on this forum have used the word gentlemen together with racing and I don't understand how the two link together.Do you have a pick of a 904? I've seen a 906 and that's one PPP.... I quite like the look of.

Ross

PPPics of a PPPPP.....904....:)

Attachments

• 904 silver.jpg
    904 silver.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 753
  • 904 red edit.JPG
    904 red edit.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 703
Rightio then,

Pennies in the jar for a P4 it is.

How many jars do you have going?

I have 3:

1) Superlight Coupe / T70 (I go back and forth on these 2)
3) 917 - If I could get an LS motor (I can't deal w/a $$$ Porsche V12).
?) And only God knows how many more jars I'll start before I can get the first one filled.

I think there's a room in hell like this...

How many jars do you have going?

I have 3:

1) Superlight Coupe / T70 (I go back and forth on these 2)
3) 917 - If I could get an LS motor (I can't deal w/a $$$ Porsche V12).
?) And only God knows how many more jars I'll start before I can get the first one filled.

I think there's a room in hell like this...

Varies from 2 to about 16.

The P4 is always there. Always. I think I might be able to register it with an M120 based upon it's use in the Zonda, but first I've got to find one that's not stuffed. If the Jag V12 will fit, the M120 won't touch the sides. The Ricardo box appears compulsory, though I'd prefer a side shifter. Unfortunately I had to empty this jar and start again a few months ago.:cussing:

Other one varies. I need a roof to keep the sun off, which blows the SL-R and it needs to be comfortable enough to be driven daily. Cost is an issue, so this one will probably be first. I need to be able to put the shopping in it and carry a spare tyre too. Previous posts refer to my fondness for the Breadvan, which isn't technically a F..... (according to Enzo, who should know).

I can't abide a 7/locost setup aesthetically, which leaves me favouring something like a Ginetta G20. It will weigh roughly 800kg, including a turbo diesel 4 pot (I'll use a V6 if it'll fit). I can run it cheaply in traffic and it's more than torquey enough to whip it beyond socially acceptable speeds ahead of da doof-doof boys in full-sick supras/gtr's. The gearbox may have to come from a performance foulcan/commode (the aussies here will know what I mean) and diff to suit.

I can still do all that for less what an Elise will cost me, plus I get a roof and the experience. Any other suggestions are welcome, but PM rather than hijack the thread (as I'm doing). :eek:

This approach lets me make all my mistakes with somebody else's product. The comments from those who've taken the plunge suggest I'll be highly appreciative of the RCR when I make my order.:D

I met the engine designer a few months ago and the engine is in the region of 35k USD......minus trans mounts/adapters...nice but not that nice...uses Hayabusa parts too.

The engine in question is found here:

HOME PAGE...

The FAQ currently says under $30k (which seems to usually mean $30k) for the "street" version of the motor, which is 400HP at the crank and can be ordered to mate with about any transmission. Several are already available, in fact. Probably wouldn't cost much more to add a few Hayabusa performance options to it to get close to 500HP, but he hasn't gotten that far in development yet, it doesn't sound like.

400 streetable horsepower in a sub 200 pound package seems pretty impressive, though it is still expensive. What kind of weight would you be talking for a Honda FWD engine that could put out 400HP even if we're talking turbo? I mean something somewhat streetable and likely to live a while...

Supposedly they are testing this thing in an Ariel Atom soon. So even if the engine is pricey, sticking one in a SL-R would be a cheaper and likely higher performance option. *shrug*

I sorta want a dp1 now, though. :)

--Donnie

Ron Earp

Admin
As cool as those motors are a turbocharged four cylinder metric bike engine can match the output for a fraction of the price. It is neat to see the development of the motor and what they are doing with it though. Just have to pay a lot for that V8 sound and bragging rights. Maybe if the production levels were to increase dramatically the costs could be brought to us normal guy levels.

R

Fran, going back to the 904, that is one of my favourite cars. Young Butzi Porsche designed it, I believe, and it should have been the direction they went, instead of the lardy 928. As a fan of the classic 911's (sorry, Ross), I also wish there were many more 904's out there, plus the 906 (even rarer). A replica with an air-cooled engine would be great, keeping to track trim for gentlemanly use (no cup holders). However, wind-up windows would be useful without being too twinky.

Dalton

Yeah, but I think the point is twofold. First, you have the reliability of a NA V8 that makes 400 *streetable* HP. Then it's made with mostly Hayabusa parts and designed such that many of them will bolt on for more performance (such as cams, which then take you more into the "race motor" side of the world). You also can still turbocharge, and I'd have to think you can get this puppy to 600HP, anyway. That's pretty incredible for something that'll still be 250 pounds even with the additional turbocharger(s).

Think of it more as a platform. Sure, for most people just doing a turbo on a stock Hayabusa engine makes a certain amount of sense. But if you want that V8 sound and more reliability, well, you gotta pay. :)

--Donnie

Dalton,
904's had sliding windows....wind up windows indeed....next you will want power mirrors...wink
I have had chassis #28 an original, in and out of the shop this year...so have had some quality time to study.

That being said , the 904 we will be building will not have original style underpinings. More like my other products aluminum/uprights chassis with original style bodywork.

Last edited:
Not a chance....I worked on testing/development for GM and GM Racing...the budgets are unreal..as are the demands from customers...

Kirkham are developing their own engine now...all aluminum BBF

I wish i knew something about engine design to know the difficulties of designing a custom engine block and crank for those 'busa heads.

I don't know if you have heard of the Cizeta Moroder V16T. But they made a V16 from 2 old lambo v8's (I think Jalpa engine?). The resulting engine has 4 lambo heads and 8 camshafts on a common block and crank.

Back