RCR's Next car should be.....

Howard Jones

Supporter
Fran, do you have a price point for the LMP car? Be careful with this, you don't want to eat your young. I'm thinking an SLC +30-50% or why buy a track version SLC?

A full on track version of the SLC, let's say #1 plus center single seat, another 1000 pounds of downforce, racercar brakes, 650Hp, and a real race gearbx is really more than 98% of us can peddle fast enough to warrent the cost.

Can the LMP car really be that much faster? And at what cost? Can it be run in any current pro series? It seams to me that it would be up against DP cars or maybe LMP2 cars fairly quickly. Thats a pretty high bar for both the car and the amature track day driver.

How about a track kit for the SLC instead? All the good stuff at a package price?

I have been looking at the sharp end of the field at the west coast track days I have been to and the really fast guys are running lap times on par with a GT3 porsche or more or less (mostly less) like the unlimmited NASA guys you ripped a new one last year. I'm only talking about a very small group of people. Then you have the historic types with some really fast old stuff being driven by amatures (more old stuff) with the value of the car in mind.

After all Ryan would be way too fast in #1 at a track day to be having any fun. He would be passing the field a couple of times a session.

Just thinking about the potenial buyer. Do you have a minium number of units to make the LMP work out for you? Just thinking about making you some money buddy.

They don't call me the cheap Italian for nothin.

Your friend, Howard

Last edited:
New here but one of these would be super cool
Cobraretouched.jpg

Hey GoFast,
The P4/5 is owned by a guy on this forum. I don't think anyone here would consider copying that car and I doubt Jim would consider giving permission either!

I'm sure Ford would hunt you down and kill you for copying either of the other cars you posted as well :)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Rob is quite right...

I have been asked multiple tme to replicate something akin to the P4/5 and as I know Jim personally I have always declined.....

I dont like either of the Fords very much so they wouldn't stand a chance at RCR....

We already have our plate quite full...

Our new models are the D type. LMP1 and the APEX...

I was not suggesting you violate someone else's intellectual property. I don't know the legalities involved in recreating/replicating cars but I have had some experience with intellectual property law and what I have found is that its an incredibly slippery slope. Violators don't ask for permission they ask for forgiveness and forgiveness is usually dictated by which side has more money to litigate .

The cars I threw out have a few things in-common; first, they are modern interpretation of classic cars and secondly they are one offs. These cars are similar to the modern GT40 except not making it to "Official"production(GT1/3 is pretty cool).... We all know that the Cobra is the most replicated car, it only stands to reason that the modern interpretation would garner much interest and potential sales.... Fran, I have to respectfully disagree, That GR1 is pretty sexy. The only reason I would suggest any of this is that your business has a very unique skill set that few if any others posses. Your ability to actually realize/create these products on a high level at reasonable price in a horrible biz environment speaks volumes.

Anyway, Fran & Co, thanks for being a great hosts and entertaining all of this nonsense. I've been lurking for a while and I have found this to be one of the best most informed car forums. Your users are quite knowledgeable and talented, every time I log on I learn new things
Cheers

PS: How about a modern take on the D Type

Rob is quite right...

I have been asked multiple tme to replicate something akin to the P4/5 and as I know Jim personally I have always declined.....

I dont like either of the Fords very much so they wouldn't stand a chance at RCR....

We already have our plate quite full...

Our new models are the D type. LMP1 and the APEX...
We respect the fact that your plate is full, but I think that some of us (all?) are merely fantasizing rather than telling you how to run your business. It must be flattering that we chose you to build our various dream cars.

My latest fantasy is a retro body for the SLC. Just as the SLC has its own body, rather than a replica of a specific Group C car, I'd like to see a car of your own design that's somewhere between the GT40, P4, T70 and Howmet. I also want it to have modern touches like the P4/5 and Ford GT. This will make it look OK with modern, low profile tires, and it would also provide the opportunity for better aerodynamics than those old cars.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I understand Chris.....

I get weekly emails from guys looking to build a one off ,or could you build me and X,Y or Z...sometimes people get quite upset when I say I could but the cost would be prohibitive....many dont seem to undertand the cost/effort to do a car from scratch.

"Surely you can just CNC a set of moulds and make a body" , is a common statement made....oh how I wish.....

Its fun to read what you guys see as dream cars ...and many of them are my dream cars too....

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The answer is:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/wings-wheels-keels/37601-shape-cars-come.html#post375516

and

http://www.deltawingracing.com/

Wouldn't be from scratch, exactly.....

"We're going to publish the entire production design," Bowlby related, "including the computer models of the components, the engineering drawings for the manufacture of those components, plus the parts list, the price structure and suppliers--you name it. The opportunity for teams and suppliers to download those things and either quote against manufacturing those parts, or in the case of a team they might chose to manufacture the parts themselves. Our original plan was for all this to be out there and available."

Last edited:
"Surely you can just CNC a set of moulds and make a body" , is a common statement made....oh how I wish.....

Would you be willing to tell us the approximate to-date production numbers for:

SLC
GT40
T70 (all)
P4

I'm amazed you offer the varied lineup you have already, with more in the pipeline...

JR

P.S Approx. new pickup date for my SLC?

I understand Chris.....

I get weekly emails from guys looking to build a one off ,or could you build me and X,Y or Z...sometimes people get quite upset when I say I could but the cost would be prohibitive....many dont seem to undertand the cost/effort to do a car from scratch.

"Surely you can just CNC a set of moulds and make a body" , iade....oh how I wish.....

Not to mention the opportunity cost you'd incur working on a one off.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wondering how that is topical to the conversation Paul?

Ken Block makes a video and the whole web becomes consumed by it...

Back