RCR's Next car should be.....

Jack,

No news other than Fran is waiting for the Helios-finished wheels.

Did you clear-coat the aluminum after you polished?

Doc

Jack,

Here's a photo from an Ultima installation (I believe):

Attachments

• GetAttachment-4.jpg
    GetAttachment-4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 391
That's really close to what I'm doing. No problems there. RCR's newly developed interior pieces are really nicely done. Hint!

Do you guys recommend this Zoop seal stuff for floors? My aluminum floors are already getting scratched up and I haven't even driven the car yet!

It is good stuff,always exceeded my expectations. Will apply Rustbullet to underside and perhaps use thier hard shell black for some panels. Better than powdercoating, it can be repaired. Can't take it off with a hammer! Have experimented with it on some brackets, etc.

Chad, Zoop Seal is a sealant only. It won't deter heavy scratches. Perhaps a clear epoxy coating would do better. Inevitable scratches will happen, it is aluminum after all. Anyone else care to chime in?

Try the www.rustbullet.com website to find the automotive products. Metallic gray in color, aluminum filled one part urethane. Looks like satin aluminum when sprayed on. The black hard shell can be found by clicking the "buy" tab. It is an industrial coating. It can be sprayed over gelcoat too with just a sanding prep.

Chad, I have an aluminum floor (exposed w/ no carpet) in my FFR Roadster (cant call it a "Cobra" with Shelby on the litigious prowl). It is going to get scratched up no matter what you do. You can refinish it by sanding (go in only one direction to get a more uniform finish) and while you are building the car you can mask off the floor to help protect it. If you plan on really driving and using your car then some things (like the floor) are going to get dirty, scuffed, and beat up. I have just finished building a car that we built completely, did all the tuning, alignment, bodywork, everything and now I am disassembling the entire car to paint, polish, clean, and detail EVERY part (even sending all fasteners out to be put through a tumbler and then cadmium coated so they are all the same color), and then I will reassemble the whole car for what seems like the tenth (and hopefully final) time. My advice is that unless you are building a show car you should do what you can to protect finishes and keep things clean, but don't sweat the small stuff.

Also Chad you are one of the few guys who are building an SLR so how about an update and some new pics eh?

Thanks for the advice Trevor. Sounds like you're doing an excellent job with that FFR Roadster. I'd be very interested to see some pictures if you have a link.

I would post some pictures of the SLR, but right now, the car isn't looking too hot. I'm having some fiberglass work being done and most of the body panels are chopped up into tiny little pieces. Once that's all done, I'm taking it to a paint shop to get it painted. My father-in-law has some connections, so I'm getting it done at a very good price. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it. Once it's back from the painter, I'll be sure to post some pictures of it. It's going to look superb!

Back