RCR's Next car should be.....

Here are a few ideas of cars

saleen-raptor-super-car.jpg

caparot1.jpg

exotic-car2.jpg

This Aston Martin is pretty slick... with room for a v10....

Attachments

• aston martin amv10.bmp
    126.6 KB · Views: 332
OK, here's something a bit off the wall - but maybe near ideal timing?

How about a purpose built, fully optimized high performance EV. Something similar in execution to the Tesla, but with more pleasing, maybe retro 60's? sports car styling. Lightwight aluminum tub chassis, sleek fiberglass body, full functioning windows, AC & heat - all in a build it yourself vehicle. Basically a commuter vehicle, all electric, build it, plug-n-play?

This would be a vehicle designed to be all weather capable, and easy to live with as a daily driver and commuting vehicle. Sure the range would be limited, but I think if it could run 50-70 miles, do 0-60 in the 5-7 second range and cruise at 60mph and top around around 90, you'd have a "future vehicle" winner on your hands. Think too about getting that "big oil" monkey off your back! No emissions regulations to worry about either.

With all the advancements in battery technology and electric motor drive systems, seems like the time is ripe for such a design.....

Jeff

Here is your answer to electric vehicles. Motors today are much more powerful not to mention the advances in batteries, and are so much more than your average golf cart. Here is one good example. An ancient Datsun that turns under 12 sec. in the quarter mile and over 110mph. I dare say it will outperform a GT40(on the drag strip) and is about the same weight!! I would love to see what it would do on a road course(with the right suspension of course).

YouTube - Worlds fastest street legal ELECTRIC CAR

We are using the upgraded engineering in our replicas now to make them go faster, and handle better, hmmmmm, and electric GT 40.... wonder how many laps I could get out of one on a single charge.....quick change battery sets......hmmmm. The wheels are turning.....

Bill

marc

Lifetime Supporter
jeff jeff
its here now, the big wait is the battery technology. You forgot the part that says you dont have to replace the batteries at 1/3 the cost of the build every 1-5 years (the number of years not only is based on type of usage (performance vs econo driver) but type of battery. After building an electric, I can say they have highs and lows but distance and dollars are a big big deal.

Yea - that Datsun really hauls the freight! I spent a good hour last night reading about all the trials and efforts that got it to being an 11 second car at over 100mph in the quarter! That thing eats muscle cars for lunch!

I was trying not to be toooooo greedy with the requirements (leaving out the battery lifetime expectancy :worried: ), though I did read some of the old Nickel metal hydride batterys from the GM EV1 and EV truck experiments were still running strong a good 10 years out! Unfortunately I also read they're under patent protection and apparently the patent owner (reportedly Shell Oil?) isn't making any of them outside of research. Sump'n smells fishy...... :thumbsdown: Who killed the electric car???

It seems like there is general (and rapid) advancement in grass roots efforts to now make practical EVs, with better more powerful motors, and the "advanced" battery technologies seem to be getting more affordable, even over just a year or two ago. The gestation period of a new RCR would likely take a good 3-4 years, by which time we'll likely be seeing lots of factory built EVs on the road - bringing the technology prices down even more. Like they say in the commercials, "when the time is right..." :)

Jeff

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff, as they say, the pioneers are the ones with all the arrows in the back. The technology is partially there. Unfortunately the advances are made by the small companies and the home builder typically. The differences is the storage medium is chemistry mainly. Hell look on the web you'd be amazed at what you can make a battery out of. Remember "the Matrix"?

OK, here's something a bit off the wall - but maybe near ideal timing?

How about a purpose built, fully optimized high performance EV. Something similar in execution to the Tesla, but with more pleasing, maybe retro 60's? sports car styling. Lightwight aluminum tub chassis, sleek fiberglass body, full functioning windows, AC & heat - all in a build it yourself vehicle. Basically a commuter vehicle, all electric, build it, plug-n-play?
Makes good sense, but I'd prefer to see a kit with the option to build either as an all-electric or as an "extended range electric vehicle" -- i.e., replace 2/3 of the all-electric's battery with a sub-liter gasoline- or diesel-powered battery charger.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff, as they say, the pioneers are the ones with all the arrows in the back. The technology is partially there. Unfortunately the advances are made by the small companies and the home builder typically. The differences is the storage medium is chemistry mainly. Hell look on the web you'd be amazed at what you can make a battery out of. Remember "the Matrix"?

AMEN! You also have to consider that most Americans( you know) want power windows,electric seats and A/C plus video and who knows what else. Personally I doubt that EV's will ever be acceptable until the buyers realize that TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would like to see a SL-C in full Carbon Fiber "Left Bare"

I must be the only one in the world that does not like the look of bare carbon fiber as a finish.. There's a lot of Hondas and Mitsubichis running around here with hoods like that.

Now - How about this for the next SuperLite car::

LEMANS!

april508013Small.jpg

april508012Small.jpg

april508010Small.jpg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I must be the only one in the world that does not like the look of bare carbon fiber as a finish.. There's a lot of Hondas and Mitsubichis running around here with hoods like that.

Now - How about this for the next SuperLite car::

LEMANS!

april508013Small.jpg

april508012Small.jpg

april508010Small.jpg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like the way you think

Hmmm....... LOTS of room for batteries in that Bad Boy! :shy:

Jeff
There is an electric SL-C being built or has been built. Fran posted a few small teaser photos of it a while back. It had cnc'd billet battery housings that were liquid cooled, direct drive and a Cobra 8.8 diff iirc.

The LeMans version of the SL-C is bad-ass looking, no doubt.

The LaMans version of the SL-C is sweet, but I have had my fill of the convertible life in Oregon. I still think the SL-C would look great in CF maybe with some cool paint graphics strategically placed it could look wild. I have a couple of ideas, now only if I would take the time to learn some Photo Shop techniques so I could try them out. Here two color ideas.

1. Carbon Fiber/Cream Cycle Orange
  2. Carbon Fiber/Sunrise Yellow
  3. Carbon Fiber/Rolls Royce Blue :shy:
  4. Carbon Fiber/Pearl metallic flue green :thumbsup: Sick
I have a little art work for the added color that I think would ad some extra character. Just some thoughts.

Back