RCR's Next car should be.....

Hi Jennifer
If you want to go with Pipers Modified 1968 P3/4 try and find some pictures of the same car doing Land Speed attempts in South Africa I believe he averaged 189 mph but was beaten eventually by a Lola T70MKIII.
If Frank could get permission I think a impactical option would be the Chaparral 2F coupe!!!
Regards Allan

A few years ago Jim Hall was building more of his own authentic Chaparrals... I have failed to keep up on those, and don't even know if he is still alive today, let alone, if he or a subsequent assignee is still overseeing the construction of the "expensive" duplicates of his original cars. Fran's are well priced and good value...As I recall, the new Chaparrals are built as duplicates of the race originals, and carried with them all the expense that entails. As a kid, I was a great fan of the 2C...got to see Jim and Hap, along with all the 1965 era drivers, at Road America 500, Elkhart Lake Wisconsin....Failed to see the end of the race though, because of major asthma attack..I actually came close to death late that afternoon.. The combination of pollen and aggressive hiking all over the infield hills and woods took its toll on me, then only 15 years old. Fortunately they revived me and I am here to tell the tale. Of course there were plenty of Lolas, Elvas, and gosh knows what else there that day. In spite of my near death later in the day, it was and is a great experience earlier in the day. I also recall an Excalibur road car in the parking lot...my first viewing. I was a real car nut...more so than any of the boys I knew. My dad put up with me paying for subscription to Sports Car Graphic, and once in a while, taking me to races...However, this was my last that he took me too...citing the health risks. It took a few years and then I got my own car, a Lotus Europa. By then we moved to Oregon, and I drive all the way from the track at Kent, Washington, to Riverside in so-cal to see the races.

Reposted...To correct link so that image appears automatically...:thumbsup:

David Piper, Likely 0854 at 1000Km Paris 1968...an "easy" option for the existing RCR P4 ...nice WIDE rear wheels accommodated. Cheers
Jennifer

Which classic car should Fran make for tall/large people??? (I'm tall and kinda wide) I'd love to have his Mark IV, as it's my favorite mid engine car ever. But there's probably no way I could fit in it. I like the T70, both coupe and spider, but I probably won't even fit into the spider.

Which classic car should Fran make for tall/large people??? (I'm tall and kinda wide) I'd love to have his Mark IV, as it's my favorite mid engine car ever. But there's probably no way I could fit in it. I like the T70, both coupe and spider, but I probably won't even fit into the spider.

The tub and pedal layout in many of Frans RCRs is done in a way to accomidate larger people than the original cars did..Take for example the 917,,,the tube frame version is restricted for tall or large folk, as it is a copy of the original frame and internal space ..but the 917 version with the semi-tub up front still carries the same suspension points and body panels, however accommodates people 4 or more inches taller in the same body envelope.
Jennifer

True, but that still doesn't fit someone as tall as me. The 917 is another beauty that he builds. But at 38" or so in height, it just won't work for me. Fran has stated that I would fit into a 917, if I were a yoga expert (knees against chest...).

I am still voting for a late 60's early 70"s F5000, fun on the track and great garage art.

Or do a Countach, there are plenty of Lambo powerplants from wrecked murcilagos for sale these days. A Lambo powerlant would make it actualy a Lambo for even some Lambo events.

The flaws of the original countach, poor pedal layout etc are probably correctable with Fran's setup. the other flaw which was side and rear visiblity are fixable with todays camera and screen tech.

If one really wnated to go art radical you could do a version of the CT prototype.

Would it sell, well they sell enough stratos replicas to be viable, a Ct has got to be even more so. The current crop of CT replicas are really just tube frame V8s with variable suspension, not really enough of the real thing.

How about a 2 or 3 seat F1 replica (streetable of course).

Attachments

• ferrari-red-rush-three-seater-f1-car-spy-shots_100318438_l.jpg
    ferrari-red-rush-three-seater-f1-car-spy-shots_100318438_l.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 402
How about a 2 or 3 seat F1 replica (streetable of course).

Streetable of course!?!... Isn't that kindof an oxymoron? A streetable F1 car?...
I conceid that the term "streetable" has a different definition to everyone that you talk to, and I wont deny you that right to define that term for yourself, but with that said I have always been of the opinion that F1 racecars are about as far away from "streetable" as one could possibly get...

I guess I'll have to hitch a ride in a Nemesis and see for myself...

Last edited:
I would and do only define "streetable" as being able to legally put a state license plate on the car. Everything else is up the owners wants, needs, dreams and pocket change. A "streetable" F1 car may only go a couple hundred miles between seriously expensive rebuilds, but if you have the cash, its only money.

Some would question why do you need a 1000+ HP Veyron, I say because I can.

The car I want is the RCR962, a completely impractical car, but I oh so dream of the day it get delivered.

As you see from my icon, I fly a completely impractical airplane that is uncomfortable, loud, windy and will suck a 100 dollars worth of Avgas in a very short time. I love every minute of it.

Last edited:
True, but that still doesn't fit someone as tall as me. The 917 is another beauty that he builds. But at 38" or so in height, it just won't work for me. Fran has stated that I would fit into a 917, if I were a yoga expert (knees against chest...).
Back in the '70s I knew a fellow building a BD-5 airplane..same trouble, small short cockpit. He extended the fuselage 4 inches in front of the wing root and bulkhead, thus extending the seating area with little change to the overall balance of the aircraft... and his tallness then fit! Also back in the day there was a really tall local guy that bought a home built D Sports racer, and proceeded to extend the tubes and sheet panels in the seating area. It took a little fiberglass work to extend the outer panels, but again, it was not like brain surgery to extend the chassis 5 inches in the middle. I sure can't speak for Fran, but RCR does do a lot of variations on the standard cars and chassis they produce. Before just giving up, if you are serious, I would at least have a chat with Fran about building an extended tub version of hatever car you have the interest in... Some bodies are easier to extend than others, due to curvature of the panels, but it is certainly do-able in most cases...Even Lotus in about 1967 did a special extended version of the 47 [ racing version of the Europa street car] for a special that carried a Rover V-8 instead of the 4 banger Cosworth. It was built for a bearing company as a promotional car. It looked great in spite of being a "splice and fare " job.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Streetable of course!?!... Isn't that kindof an oxymoron? A streetable F1 car?...
I conceid that the term "streetable" has a different definition to everyone that you talk to, and I wont deny you that right to define that term for yourself, but with that said I have always been of the opinion that F1 racecars are about as far away from "streetable" as one could possibly get...

How about a Lola Indycar?

Attachments

• Lola (800x600).jpg
    Lola (800x600).jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 465

Lola T330 and T332. These were F5000 cars, profesional series in the early 70s...after that they were found in SCCA club racing for several seasons. A friend of mine had one for a year or so before selling to campaign a less expensive to run, Lotus 7 race car. These Lolas were usually fitted with a Chevy Traco 5L, 4 dual downdraft Weber. ZF 5 speed. A modern aluminium LS engine would be a nice touch. These were engineered from the start as 'customer cars' not factory team cars, and as such, all sizes of drivers needed to be accommodated. As a result, the tub was designed to hold tall/large drivers with no issues. Terry was about 6'-2" or 3" and built with a lot of muscle, and he fit just fine. Sure would be a great basis for an affordable club type spec. car series. Simple aero package, ample tub for all drivers that would easy to replicate the basic design of today, and an affordable spec LS engine...Fran already has suspension bits that would work just fine. I think it would be FUN, big V8 sounds, fast enough to be interesting, etc..... and if one were to stick some tire covering fenders and headlights onto it, well then, ...now were talking! and I speak from experience. I once took Terry's out on a country road..Our engine builder lived WAY out in the rural areas..He had just put in a new engine and had revised the oil cooler arrangement. There was no way to test the coolers stationary, as the main radiators rely on car movement for air flow.. Faced with the dilema, I just donned a helmet and jumped it. The following 20 minutes or so were the most fun a girl can have! Knowing the gearing installed at the time, it was the first and only time that I broke into the 200 MPH club...on county roads! Ok, I was already crazy, as I would regularly do 140 in the countryside in my well prepared Lotus Europa. Top speed in the Lola felt more like 80 in the Lotus...the stability and immense braking power was mind boggling to me. It was a life changing experience, a memory a cherish. We never told Terry about this testing excursion. He sold the car shortly after, and the next owner spun it backwards into a concrete wall the first time he had on the track. The car spent the next few years at Pierre's Motors in Portland Oregon, and was eventually broken up for parts. I did a search for the tub a few years ago and found many others, some converted to closed wheel A-SR, but it seems Terry's tub was indeed lost, or rebuilt in a manner that it it lost it original identity. Jennifer

A Porsche hillclimb car:shy:....The existing RCR 917 wide wheel chassis fitted for the usual 6 Cylinder, and an open bodywork inspired by this 910 hillclimb racecar..what a fun summer runabout and autocross special this would make! :thumbsup:

Back