removable switch panel: needed?

I have finished modifying my dash so that it can be removed with rollcage and spider in place. Some have made a removable switch panel. I am debating about whether to do this or not. Do folks want to weigh in on the ups and downs? Thanks!

For what it's worth, I plan to make a removable switch panel for the dash. I'm thinking a CF switch panel with a 1/4" wide surround of 1/8" aluminum. The cutout will leave an attachment flange with rivnuts. The aluminum "bezel" or surround will be patterned with "dips" for the fastening #8 buttonhead screws in 6 places. No particular reason to do this, just think it will look neat..Hmmm, more on the to do list!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jay - I'd be curious to see how you have modified the dash to be removable.. Mine is as well, but I'll still need to unbolt the spider from the front of the chassis (around windshield) as the Spider is meant to clamp down on the dash to help retain it.
That said - I don't think it will be an easy afternoon job to pull the dash.
So - for me, I'm using a removable switch panel and I may end up cutting the gauge panel out of the dash and making it removable as well..
I'm not in my 20's, 30's or 40's anymore so laying on my back upside down under a dash is simply not in the equation.
I'm building the car to be serviced in the easiest possible manner..

Thanks Randy, that's the kind of info I am looking for. I cut the dash so I can remove it with the roll cage in, but I forgot about the spider, which is not even here at the house right now!

OK, removable panel construction beginning....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy, that's the kind of info I am looking for. I cut the dash so I can remove it with the roll cage in, but I forgot about the spider, which is not even here at the house right now!

OK, removable panel construction beginning....

Hi Jay - one other thing I noted on mine. I first cut the dash to clear the Spider and then installed the cage and had to cut even more. Since the A-Pillars are in front of the cage, you'll need to do some more fitting...

I need to do more updates on my website - but you might get some idea of where I had to cut from these pictures;
GT-Forty.com

Removable Dash

Takes me about 5 min now to remove it with the spider fitted. Clamping in front is provided via two rubber profiles one on top which touches the spider and one on the bottom of the dash which touches the chassis. THey are pretty stiff and provide a good clamping force. Installed everything is very rigid.

Removable switchboards:

Actually i think it is easier to make them, as to install everything without them. Check my build log for how i´ve done it

Thanks
TOM

Back