Rf 117

Hi Trevor,

I think we may have found one of the problems with the pump and have been given some advice on how we might improve its performance, The gap between the impellor blade and the pump body is a bit wider than it should be and the pump shaft was slightly out of perpendicular so we had a gap of 5 thou on one side of the impellor and 10 thou on the other. The gap should have been almost zero. We also think we can increase pump flow & pressure by increasing the surface area that the impellor acts on,

If all else fails Meziere supplies a remote mechanical pump that flows 90galls per min at 40-50psi which I am advised is what we need, it will mean having to do an amount of re-engineering which is a pain but thats nothing new !

Regards

Iain

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Iain,
well thats a start, you will at least know that the pump is to spec.
I would suggest that you try it before you start cutting up the plumbing system.
when you first get the car on the track you will have a lot of sorting in the first instance and that will give you the opportunity to check the cooling and collect some data.
If your cooling system is such that you need 50 psi I would cut it up!!.
Will the radiator take 50 psi. Are you running an oil to water heat exchanger, hate to burst that with too much pressure. Where are you going to get a 50psi radiator cap.
Too much flow can result in overheating as it is not in the radiator long enough and may create turbulence in the radiator itself.
The radiator manufacturer should be able to give you an estimate of the optimum flow rate for the BHP of the engine. He would be able to give an exact figure if he knew the heat rejection rate of the engine to the coolant. This should have been measured whilst the engine was on the dyno. He should also be able to give you the restriction through the radiator.
"This is what you need" is a very broad statement, how much of the aforementioned data did you supply them to enable them to say that you need 90gpm at 40-50 psi

Is there anybody out there who knows how to send video clips to You Tube, I have some video footage from a weekend at Bathurst that may be of interest, it is stored on my PC in a digital format but I need to understand how to convert it to the correct format for You Tube.

Bling,

A couple of shots of the headlamp set up

Iain

Attachments

• RIMG0145.jpg
    RIMG0145.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 627
  • RIMG0146.jpg
    RIMG0146.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 558
  • RIMG0147.jpg
    RIMG0147.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 584
Is there anybody out there who knows how to send video clips to You Tube, I have some video footage from a weekend at Bathurst that may be of interest, it is stored on my PC in a digital format but I need to understand how to convert it to the correct format for You Tube.

Converting to youtube just has to be about the easiest thing their is to do. Just get a youtube account and login. After that, look for the area to upload videos. It will automatically convert just about every video format under the sun to the youtube format. Easy as that.

I have uploaded a couple of videos but the quality seems even worse than on the video, is there a preffered format ? I have been using the wvm provided by microsft

Yes, the quality is ALWAYS worse than what the video was originally. This is because the youtube format heavily compresses the video to keep it small. So a lot of detail is lost. The loss of detail is directly proportional to quality of the original video; or, the higher quality the original is, the more detail you lose.
Its like a bucket. the youtube bucket is only so big, but your bucket is much, MUCH bigger. To put the contents of your bucket (your video) into the youtube one, some will have to be lost. Otherwise, they would need an absolutely enormous amount of harddrive space.

I really don't know if the format makes a difference, but i would guess mpeg would be a good format to start with since thats so widely used.

I just found this
What's the best format to upload for high quality?

it says it recommends mpeg4!

Rear Vision Mirrors

I need to fit some rear vision mirrors for my Log Book Inspection, I doubt that the side mirrors will last very long but I do have to have them fitted for the inspection. Pete had some nice looking wing mirrors, does anyone know where he got them from ? And what is the best solution for the internal mirror ?

Iain

Your best bet is to get one of two different types of rear view cameras. One is featured in the how to section using one of the inexpensive units from Pep
Boys here in the U S. It can be mounted anywhere you want. Down next to the bottom of the rear clip or mounted as a third brake light on top of the spider. The camera is a tiny unit about a half inch tall and can be mounted inside the third brake light housing. They are designed to go on the license plate. Should give you a good range of vision. They are wireless, so all you need is power to the camera and to the viewer. The viewer can even be plugged into the cigarette lighter/auxiliary power outlet
Your other choice is to go with the bullet cameras or other rear view camera and a flip up stereo unit. These units all accept the rear view cameras. The screens can be anywhere from 3 inch to 7 inch. Units cost in the $250 and up category. Look on Ebay for tft stereo. There are name brand units like Pioneer etc. Some have TV, GPS, mp3&4 capability, bluetooth etc. At least that way you can justify the expense. While your sitting on the grid, you can enjoy a good DVD while waiting for the action to start.

tft stereo, Car Electronics, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com

A word of warning, The different sanctioning bodies require outside mirrors for competition. They turned me down when I asked. Personally I don't care for the side mirrors. With the camera, you look in one spot for the chasing traffic, not two.

Bill

We have a rear view camera set up in the car, however I am oblidged to have "standard" rear view mirrors to meet category rules. Some of the guys in my class have rear view cameras but say they are not as good as in a road car because of the vibration etc etc.. Only time will tell.
The speed we are moving at with the build maybe I could ask Santa for a set of mirrors.

Iain

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Lain
Check the CAMS manual on line.General requirements of Automobiles/ Circuit racing Schedule C.Not fewer than 2 functional rear vision mirrors, each of at least 50cm squared.

Ross

Thanks for that Ross, After 3 years we finally got it down on the deck !! They are very very low are'nt they ?

Attachments

• RIMG0043.jpg
    RIMG0043.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,402
  • RIMG0045.jpg
    RIMG0045.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,344
This car would have to one of toughest looking GT40s I've seen.
Great work and well worth the 3 year wait.
Hoping we'll see some vids of this Beast in action?
Wish I had a GT40.....:cry:

Cooling System

Some time ago we experienced some issues with the cooling system during its dyno testing (Bench), basically it was not able to cope with the power up the top end of the rev range. After a LOT of research and advice we / they have come up with the following solution. Looks complcated to me but I am assured it will deal with aeration / cavitation problems that might have been causing us problems.

I would welcome any feed back on the design, the layout is diagromatic only, actually plumbing it into the car has created its own challenges !

Iain

Attachments

• Heat Exchangers.jpg
    Heat Exchangers.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 901
  • RIMG0047.jpg
    RIMG0047.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Iain P - Engine 080508.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 486
I would question the -12 yellow coming out of the aeration tank into the line that appears to by-pass the oil coolers, combined with the trigger -12 red these will just about have enough combined flow potential to hinder coolant passing thru the radiator unless restrictors are fitted in these lines.

Back