Rivnuts - Threadserts Help KVA/GTD

Hi Can anyone tell me what thread rivnuts were used on the KVA Chassis ??? I bought a box of 10-32 button heads and a tap. The tap wants to take material ( not just paint ) out of the one's in the chassis, Also the replacement Rivnuts that I picked up are way to small for the old holes. So where do I get replacements for the missing one's??? TIA Wally

Wally,
I used to have a KVA and as far as I know, no Rivnuts were used. If anything it would have been welded nuts. If there are any rivnuts they may have been put there by a previous owner.

Brett

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Wally

Presuming your 40 was originally assembled in the UK I would look at Metric Rivnuts Over here they are much more widely available

Ian

Hi

Like Brett I had a KVA and can't recall any rivnuts on the car other than ones that I fitted.
Have you any of the screws/bolts that were removed, the outside diameter and the number of threads per inch would itentify the type of insert required.

Regards

Steve

Wally:
McMaster has a good selection as other members noted here. Stay away from aluminum inserts as they are junk. The best inserts I have used are made by Lawson Products. They have a website, and I don't know if you can buy direct but its worth a shot.
The good inserts are cad plated steel, and they are rather difficult to set, unless you have the correct tool, but I have never had one loosen as they literally expand and crimp at the same time. They are available up to 3/8 thread, and also in metric sizes.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Thanks for the info. These are the 8 inserts that locate the door striker brackets. One was missing 2 are stripped and they were 10-32 (once I got the paint out of them ) the tap was recutting the pulled threads. As I need to replace the 1 I will replace them all with steel ones the holes are about .030 undersize for 1/4 x 28 so I will see if Fastenal has them, We do have a LAWSON rep. that sells to the shop and I can probably get these from him when he comes in.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
McMaster and/or Aircraft Spruce have the cad plated steel versions. In my experience each vendor has there own terminology whether it be 'rivnut', 'rivet nut', 'nutsert' or 'nut cert' so it pays to search under a few terms.

Good luck,

Back