Roll Cage and Safety

All,

Here is a few pictures of the full roll-bar that Robert took of my car.

21430048-9868-02000153-.jpg

21429957-8888-02000153-.jpg

21429979-6164-02000153-.jpg

21429992-7087-02000153-.jpg

21430012-092a-02000153-.jpg

21429918-569d-020000AD-.jpg

Richard. I have seen this car in the factory and it just looks sensational The chassis paint and the stainless steel panels almost merge into one. You will freak out when it arrives over there. Regards Norman

The RF cage looks very impressive. I'm currently working on fitting a roll bar to RAC spec & can appreciate what alot of work is involved in getting it all to fit.

I found this pic a while back somewhere on the web & it shows a GTD with roll bar rear stays that mount onto the damper pickups, which I guess must add a great deal of rigidity to the chassis.

However it does create problems clearing the exhaust manifold. Also check out the upper suspension pickup points...

Attachments

• 20535-gtd race car.JPG
    20535-gtd race car.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 286
Richard, where do you live in Plano? I went to school there from 7th through 12th before heading to Austin for college. I would love to have a gander at your car when it arrives to see how an RF build compares to mine (none, I'm sure!). When do expect yours? I'd like to see up close how they tie in the rear roll cage support to the rear suspension and the head bar. That to me seems like a good modification even if the front part of the cage is never installed.

Pat

Howard Jones

Supporter
I've done my GTD very much like Roy Smart with two hoops and a dual central logitudial brace. The difference is that I ran the forward uplinks to the hoop right along side of the eyeball vents and mounted to the top frame rail with a four bolt mounting plate. The rear hoop is thru bolted to the headrail near the upper corners via welded in threaded bungs on the roll over tubing and a pass thru bung in the header rail and is mounted to the same frame rail with another 4 bolt mounting plate. I thought at the time that I designed it that I would be able to remove it from the car if need be. Almost can but it is just too big to get out the door opening. If I had to do it over I would make it so the two hoops, front and rear unbolt from each other in the center of the double longitudal tubes. I also like the braces in the picture of the GTD with the chevy in it. I think I will make some and bolt them to the header rail and the upper damper mount at a later date if there is room and I dont have to modifiy my headers. If I can figure out how to make the pictures smaller then I will post them.

Pat,

I have been in plano since 1985. Lived at custer and legacy are for about 12 of the years. I now live off coit just south of 121. I will do a post when it arrives (sometime in late Aug is the first guess). I would be glad for you to come up and see it then. I am also putting together a Daytona Coupe as well. Had the coupe for about a year now. Here are some pictures of the car as it was delivered and the engine going in the car.

21289091-82d5-028001E0-.jpg

12978729-a4d1-02000180-.jpg

12978731-da44-02000180-.jpg

Geez, I'm impressed! I'm feeling pretty lazy right about now. That coupe does look fantastic. I'll be up for a ballgame at the Frisco Ruffriders the weekend of the 16th-17th of August (brothers lie in Plano - kids, you know), perhaps I can swing by then. I'll send you a private note.

Back