Ross is back

Ross,

I,ve been racing on and off since 1969 and have had to be a club racer in order to get an entry in ANY event here and abroad. Any one who thinks club racing is just a one lap race against the clock with a couple of other cars is talking out of their arse !!
I can understand you not bothering to post for a while as derisory comments make you think it,s just not worth it. Bin there, got the T shirt.

I, like those others here supporting you, DO know what is involved in motor racing.
You keep posting please.

Graham.

Ron Earp

Admin
Only Club Racing?

I'd submit that those who would state that have not participated in Club Racing. They don't understand the amount of time and work it takes to compete at the club level. Hell, just to show up and run takes a lot of work. Competing takes a lot more work.

Only in club racing can I go wheel to wheel for 12, 13 & 25 hour Enduros. Or wheel to wheel for 30 min sprints, 1.5 hr races, or any number of hillclimbs and other events. As I write this I'm getting up and heading to Roebling Road to compete in the Southeast Invitational Challenge at Roebling Road in my 260Z. While my weekend has been trouble free, I've watched engine rebuilds, engine swaps, tranny swaps, rear end replacements, and a lot of wrecked cars come in on the trailer.

Might only be club racing, but it takes a lot of energy, time, skill, and of course money. And most importantly it requires a supportive family to allow you to spend a lot of nights in the garage and the weekends at the track.

Keep on writing about your club racing. I enjoy reading it and I know the amount of work you have to put in to get that car out on track. I will do the same when I have time. Might only be club racing but it is a heck of a lot of fun!!

Ok
I'm the one who called Ross a 'Club Racer' :eek:, I was not going to post an answer on this but seeing as Ross has made the comment public I feel it only fair that the forum hear my side to the events that lead up to the
comment 'you're a Club Racer'

This came about after Ross accussed me of offending him by posting positive comments in Iains RF117 build thread.

Originally Posted by albanygt40
Wow Iain
I wondered if I would ever see a real race prepped kit GT40 by a serious contender that knows what they are doing and lucky for us all on the forum we are seeing one built right before our eyes.

A truly professional job and I'm looking forward to more pics and updates.

MMmm I would say my car is a real race prepped kit GT40 and I consider myself a serious contender who knows what he's doing. My mission statement is no different to Iains. The difference is I've chosen to develop my car while racing it. Iain is accutely aware that although he will start racing with an extremely high level of equipment, his development path may still be long like mine. I am a little offended by your statements but do understand the wow factor of Iain's car.I suppose I'm a bit jealous he is able to afford to pay full time staff to build it for him whereas I spend all my free time working to make the car faster and to improve the engineering. One thing Iain and I have in common though is we both hate Porsches.
Ross

After reading this I decided to send Ross a PM as really I did not want to
ruin the RF117 build thread with banter on who is proffesional and who is not and also to keep from having a public blow out with Ross. See PM below.

Ross
I've sent this PM to you because I don't want Iains thread ruined with your jealous banter.:confused:

RF117 is a real race car and when I see a good engineering job by professionals I have the right to comment, I did not in anyway diss-respect you or your car and cannot see any way you could be offended by my positive comments to a bloke building a fantastic car.

Honestly your a club racer and respectfully your car is still limited by it's road going configuration.
Don't compare yourself to Iains car as you are just making yourself look Foolish.:eek:

I too have a CAMS 2ASCO log book for my DRB does that make it a serious contender? No. I don't kid myself about it either, I will race the car for some fun and enjoy a steady developement program that should see the car progress as I get better at steering.

Mate chill out and sit back, Enjoy Iains build thread or here's an idea start your own so we can all admire your work and pass on positive comments.

Dave S.

Now I admit that maybe this PM was to harsh for maybe someone who is very sensitive.But I feel that PM'n Ross was the best way not to publicly embarrass him or myself. But I used the term CLUB RACER to help Ross understand that IMO that Ross's car is not on the same playing field as RF117, look at the RF117 thread and make your own decision. I have the upmost respect for anyone who races a car and I personally know how hard it is to compete with mega-buck cars built by Pros. I don't believe that the term Club Racer is an insult it's just a term used to seperate the cars Professionally built and amatuer build at home and learn as you go, I also came to this decision after reading all off Ross's posts on his trials and tribulations with his racing posts which I also enjoyed and posted positive comments.

I believe that I encouraged Ross to keep posting and to start his own build thread. On the other hand I don't get offended every time I read another build thread that has heaps more positive comments than my own. I'm sorry if I'm way off the mark and feel that Ross asked me for my opinion when he took offence at me posting on another persons build thread.

Flame away and if it comes down to being banned from the forum then
so be it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ron - The Club Racing that they're talking about is not the Club Racing that we do here in the states. Their Club Racing is more like Track-Days where there is no real competition, merely driving very fast around the circuit with Contract or Limited passing zones.
You and I are used to charging in full-throttle 5 or 6 wide into the first turn at the drop of the green flag... :) Now that's Club Racing USA-Style..

Ross - Please keep posting. Do not let the jabs of one person sway you from your mission and continued contributions here..

Ross,

Welcome back. I have always enjoyed your posts and comments regarding threads on this forum.

It appears some people are set on having the last word. And some people don't know when to quit. So, based on the support this forum is giving you, it is obvious the overall scope of your return is postive, and those folks having trouble with this concept need to cool it. Its time to enjoy the forum, not debate or belittle content or contributors.

PS: I would love to hear of any updates or changes you have made on your car!

Cheers,

Malcolm

Supporter
No one should be banned and everyone should continue posting! I guess I will get flamed soon for posting about racing a P car soon! Fear not that car has been sold, snag is we have another in the team now with a better spec.....:)

Also this sounds a bit like sprinting and hill climbing v circuit racing v drag racing v rallying v staying in bed watching F1! Do what takes your fancy to the best of your ability and budget and the rest be damned! If you write about it those that enjoy will read it and the rest should scroll on by.

Welcome back Ross. I also enjoy your reports and assistance given to many people including myself. There is obviously still some confusion about the term club racing. Let me assure everyone that Ross is racing in an Australian State championship class which is very much full bore side by side paint swapping racing. The cars competing in this event are varied and range from the mega expensive professional teams to smaller budget hard working and hard competing individuals. The events which pit one driver or a group starting in pairs against the clock are more often known as Sprints or Supersprints in Australia.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes there does still seem to be confusion between countries regarding Terms. Maybe there could be a place on the forum for a glossary where you can look up the meaning of a term like "club racing" to get the differences in the various countries.This could be applied to tools as well as quite a few other things where we could all learn more about each other.A sort of GT40s Wikipedia.Sorry Ron just another idea to increase your burden.

Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
Also this sounds a bit like sprinting and hill climbing v circuit racing v drag racing v rallying v staying in bed watching F1! Do what takes your fancy to the best of your ability and budget and the rest be damned! If you write about it those that enjoy will read it and the rest should scroll on by.

Malcolm, perfect.

Randy, from having Malcolm over to race and from driving over there I did learn some term differences between the UK and US. A sprint race to the UK folks is a race against time. You versus the circuit. We call that Solo in SCCA speak.

A US Sprint race to me is what I did this afternoon. A 30 min wheel to wheel race that is extremely intense because you can't make a mistake with only 30 mins to race. You also can't blow a head gasket 10 laps in or you won't do so well.

Ross does wheel to wheel racing in the series he runs in, as far as I know. I think Graham does some UK-style sprints in the 917.

I don't pass judgment on any of it. It is all Motorsport and good. The main thing is Just Do It.

A Club racer in Australia is anyone who races that is not a Pro.
Grass roots motorsports is hill climbs/ super sprints and the like.

The point is not how Ross races his car it's about him getting offended
when I post a positive comment on someone elses race car.

Malcolm

Supporter
"Ross does wheel to wheel racing in the series he runs in, as far as I know. I think Graham does some UK-style sprints in the 917. "

Graham doesn't do sprint and hill climbs. He does wheel to wheel racing. And in his GTA40 and his GTA 917..... which is cool. Is that a bad P car to race???? :) Or do you guys just hate the 911 derivatives?

Just stirring!

Thanks Malcolm,

I definitely do not do sprints or hill climbs, only circuit racing. I do take my hat off though to those who do, because you only get "one bite of the cherry" to get it right.
I need to be out there with a another thirty cars to make it interesting or if you go to somewhere like Spa it could be eighty!

This term "club racing" is all covering. As far as i know every race in the world is organised by a club and to enter you must belong to it or an affiliated one. I,m a member of the 750 MC and that has got me into every race i,ve ever been in both here and abroad. I,m very fortunate that i am supported by Gulf Oil and my services and cars are in constant use by them for publicity and brand awareness. Anyone who is involved in motor sport properly, knows just how time absorbing and costly it is, and i take my hat of to them for having a go. Keeping my two cars running is a financial nightmare and i bet yourself, Ron, Ross, Johan, and all the other racing contributors to this forum also can vouch for that. Whether you are first or last, fastest or slowest does not matter. Being out there and putting your life and valuable cars on the line is what counts, and i say "bravo" to those who do it.

There is a huge world of difference between a car that has had everything thrown at it in time and money and is made to look like a race car, and one that actually DOES race.

Regards,

Graham.

Uh Oh, does anyone else here see a similarity between this post and "[SIZE=-1]The People's Front of Judea" vs "The Judea's People's Front" vs[/SIZE] "The Popular Front of Judea"? (vis-a-vis Monty Python sketch :rolleyes:)[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well Bloody hell, I to was missing Ross's post's, in particular I was interested in whether he had sorted his heavy steering out, so I went searching for you Ross and found this thread. Interesting!

Ross welcome back, I have missed your posts which I have always found informative and interesting. Do not worry about critics, never in history has a statue been erected to honour a critic.

Also there is nothing wrong with "Club racing" which I tend also to call track days.
However there is a huge difference IMHO, between racing around a circuit in groups of similar lap times and being only allowed to pass on the straights, or doing laps against the clock by yourself, and head to head, go for it, wheel banging fair dinkum racing.

And yes I know, I have done both, a 100 years ago when my hair was dark.
I had a bug eyed Austin Healy sprite and reached the dizzy heights of nowhere, punting it around Calder, Sandown and Winton before both of you were born.

Dave, Ross does the latter, the wheel to wheel stuff, so I can see why he was a little miffed at being called a Club racer. Sure his car has limitations and is an ongoing project, which makes his posts so interesting. But having a car with limitations does not make him a lesser being than someone with the purpose built car and big budget. Nor does it make anyone's dick any bigger or smaller.

Bloody Hell Ross that's twice I've stuck up for a Kiwi, I am going soft.:eek:

Lets all kiss and make up and keep enjoying the sport we love, no matter what the level.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well Bloody hell, I to was missing Ross's post's, in particular I was interested in whether he had sorted his heavy steering out, so I went searching for you Ross and found this thread. Interesting!

Ross welcome back, I have missed your posts which I have always found informative and interesting. Do not worry about critics, never in history has a statue been erected to honour a critic.

Dave, Ross, there is nothing wrong with "Club racing" which I tend also to call track days.
However there is a huge difference IMHO, between racing around a circuit in groups of similar lap times and being only allowed to pass on the straights, or doing laps against the clock by yourself, and head to head, go for it, wheel banging fair dinkum racing.

And yes I know, I have done both, a 100 years ago when my hair was dark.
I had a bug eyed Austin Healy sprite and reached the dizzy heights of nowhere, punting it around Calder, Sandown and Winton before both of you were born.

Dave, Ross does the latter, the wheel to wheel stuff, so I can see why he was a little miffed at being called a Club racer. Sure his car has limitations and is an ongoing project, which makes his posts so interesting. But having a car with limitations does not make him a lesser being than someone with the purpose built car and big budget. Nor does it make anyone's dick any bigger or smaller.

Bloody Hell Ross that's twice I've stuck up for a Kiwi I am going soft.:eek:

Lets all kiss and make up and keep enjoying the sport we love, no matter what the level.

Pete

I see you havnt sorted out that stutter of yours(still repeating yourself).

Dave S

You didnt say the wrong thing I wouldnt worry about it mate.
Step over it and keep walking.

Jim

Ross,
I'm curious to see the photos you mentioned of damage in the workshop. Thought I was the only silly old bugger who could do that.
Pete, I'm not sure that we want to kiss any Kiwis. Let's just make up and don't say any more about it (and don't say a word if a good looking sheep comes along).
Ross again, hope you get the engine rebuilt or whatever needs repairing after the oil disaster, and get out there on the track with your improved performance and kick ass.

Dalton

Back