Ross racing this weekend

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes it's that time again, I am racing my GT40 at Sandown this weekend.I don't like to get too excited but after 2 race meetings I am leading the points score for our championship.It may not last but it feels good. We have a practice day tomorrow and racing Saturday and Sunday. This is the first meeting for the year where the strong Porsche contingent will appear. I haven't raced against them since the suspension gains I made late last year so I'm looking forward to it. I have done a few things since the last meeting, more negative camber all round. Refitting rear brake ducts. New master/safety switch fitted, return spring fitted to brake pedal to cure problem with stop lights remaining on, Ride height reset at front together with camber and toe checks front and rear. Plus cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning, a lot more than usual due to the oil filter fiasco at last meeting.A new regime called targeted scrutiny has been introduced so a pre race check was carried out 2 weeks ago and car passed all ok. No rushing on race days now hopefully. Anyone in the Melbourne area over the weekend is most welcome to come and have a chat.
Ross

Ross,
no way for u to place a little camera inside your car?.
I love geetees (as many have noted..) but really love to see the "action" and think u will be the man for this:)

Think at that, cause your racing experience will be too cool for all the guys also here inside.

in culo alla balena per la gara! (italian, cant traslate but is a sort of "go on go on" for the race ;) )

Best

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yes it's that time again, I am racing my GT40 at Sandown this weekend.I don't like to get too excited but after 2 race meetings I am leading the points score for our championship.It may not last but it feels good. Ross

Don't worry Ross! Get excited anyway!;)
Good luck mate, show them how it's done!:pepper:

Go Ross Go (with apologies to Sandy:) )

Cheers,

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Kick some A$$ Ross, sounds like your car is ready to roll. You definitely need the in-car-cam so we can watch you hammer some more Porsches ;)

Good luck

Sandy

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Give 'em H-E-double L, Ross!!!

I'd love to see some video, too.

Dugly

Malcolm

Supporter
When competitive driving I always find it easier to be second chasing hard than to be leading with a guy hot on my heels. Get excited but don't take the brain out when you put the crash helmet on! Is there any live timing such as we had in the Britcar 24 hours race so that us really sad guys could log on and watch the race through your lap times?

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Ross, I plan on being there on Saturday as I have a friend that is also racing his Maserati. I'll bring my video camera down and get some of the action.

Hope to see you there (I will be going for the GT40 of course!)

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
"Targeted Scrutiny" If I read you correctly your GT was scrutinised two weeks ago?. Do you still have to go through scrutineering on race day?

Good luck on Sunday Ross, don't take any Sh#T from those Porsche guys.

I can feel a Podium coming on.:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Saturday night update!
Set my fastest lap time around Sandown today 1min 18.9sec during qualifying and started todays race in 9th place.Finished in 11th so bit disappointed with that but very happy with the car. The competition is fierce and with 2 races tomorrow I hope to improve my position.Bill H has some video from today so I hope he'll post.I am working on an in car camera and will have it in for the next round at Phillip Island.By the way funny incident today a car got taken out by a Maserati going backwards. Young Italian driver in the Masa (sorry Paolo) obviously overdriving, Bill H's friend I think.That damn brake light switch has been playing up again and I've been driving around with the brake lights permanently on,got it working for the race though. Roll on tomorrow.
Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Pete I forgot to say you are correct we don't have to have the car scrutineered at the track but they may ask you to present your car at their discretion for scrutiny at the track. I guess thats the targeted part.
I couldn't get Iain's link to work.For race results go to Natsoft.com.au and then click on race results for 2007 from there Sandown results should be apparent.
Ross

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
It was a great dy yesterday for racing, super weather and some beutiful cars. Interestingly, the Aussie Hollywood actor Eric Bana (Troy, Munich & The Hulk) was drivng a yellow 911 in the same race. I'll try and get the video up in the next post.

Attachments

• IMGA0777.jpg
    IMGA0777.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMGA0776.jpg
    IMGA0776.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 465
  • IMGA0796.jpg
    IMGA0796.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 458
  • IMGA0779.jpg
    IMGA0779.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 446

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
more pics from saturday

Attachments

• gt40sandown12may 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    gt40sandown12may 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 433
  • gt40sandown12may 002 (640 x 480).jpg
    gt40sandown12may 002 (640 x 480).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 428
  • gt40sandown12may 003 (640 x 480).jpg
    gt40sandown12may 003 (640 x 480).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 441
  • gt40sandown12may 004 (640 x 480).jpg
    gt40sandown12may 004 (640 x 480).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 416

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Wrap up for the weekend
------------------------
Friday practice was pretty uneventful apart from being hit by what else? yes a Porsche, it was another one of those incidents where I didn't see the other car and thought I'd just 'lost it'. Of course pit checks showed the full story and 2 cracks in the wheel rim.Luckily Sandown is only 20mins from the factory so we dashed back to get a spare wheel.The Dunlop guys at the track swapped tyres straight away but I missed 1 session. car felt good and grip level high.Only problem brake light switch still playing up.

Saturday morning and schedule was for- 15min practice, 15 minute qualifying and afternoon 6 lap race. I don't know why but we were led out for a warm up lap by the safety car which made the practice and qualifying feel like a race. I was pretty determined to set a fast qualifying time and I was pretty happy when the time sheets showed my fastest time ever at Sandown. On to race 1 and as my start procedure is well organised now I got off to a blinder and displaced quite a few cars including the 360 Ferrari,into turn 1 and all hell breaks loose, a spinner on my left and 2 going off the track on my right, oh well I'm ok press on. During the race i had a front end lock up and lost time. I had reverted to my old slow times and got passed by a few opponents because of it. Finished 11th and annoyed with myself. Think the brakes may have been dragging a bit too due to zealous adjustment of the brake light switch.

Sunday morning and race schedule 8 lap morning race 2, 8 lap afternoon race 3. Race 2 and really good start again but came into turn 1 a bit hot and front end locked up and very lucky not to hit anybody. I think I was in 4th spot but during the race the Ferrari got back past and 1 Porsche Cup car. I was really trying and the flow was on my side, finished in 6th just behind the Ferrari.

Sunday afternoon race 3 - 10 laps another good start my nemisis blue MGBV8 got past me, we had a really good dice swapping positions but I ended the race behind him although I had a slightly faster time.Finished in 7th due to a fast Porsche who started at rear of grid coming through.

The car is improving and although I crunched through a few gears, very happy and the driver's confidence is rising. Next installment Phillip Island 10th and 11th June the car's improved handling will really show there.
Bye for now Ross

Saturday night update!
Set my fastest lap time around Sandown today 1min 18.9sec during qualifying and started todays race in 9th place.Finished in 11th so bit disappointed with that but very happy with the car. The competition is fierce and with 2 races tomorrow I hope to improve my position.Bill H has some video from today so I hope he'll post.I am working on an in car camera and will have it in for the next round at Phillip Island.By the way funny incident today a car got taken out by a Maserati going backwards. Young Italian driver in the Masa (sorry Paolo) obviously overdriving, Bill H's friend I think.That damn brake light switch has been playing up again and I've been driving around with the brake lights permanently on,got it working for the race though. Roll on tomorrow.
Ross

LOL...Ross in those races U ARE MY MAN:pepper:

Dont u remember maybe the name of italian young maserati driver?.
If I will ever be there, will be ONLY in a gt40 (or in a P4.. ;) )

waiting for the videos

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Paolo

The young Italian driver is Frank Marchese.

I'm still trying to get the video up, anyone know how to convert a wmp file to an mpeg or avi format? I'll try something and see if it works...

Bill

Attachments

• IMGA0785.jpg
    IMGA0785.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 391

Keith

Good stuff Ross. I always find your racing reports interesting and takes me back a few years I can tell you. Keep up the good work.:cool:

By the way, who's the old guy with the shades sitting in the car? I take it it wasn't you as there is no resemblance to your Avitar pic whatsoever....:confused:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Kieth, the old guy in the shades mmm, ok close ups are not kind to me, (mental note) Keep the photographers further away. Anyway you should see me when I get out of the car with sweat and helmet hair, it's not pretty.
Ross

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Good going Ross. Some of those guys must have serious horsepower!

I was just comparing with some single seater times. Your 1:19's compare with top F Ford times which is pretty good.

I've always been intrigued how GT40 times compare with F5000. Thanks to your link to Natsoft, I now know. Top F5000 from the November historic Sandown was about 1:10. Top guys in your class are doing same times as midfield F5000s. That is flying! I think you are getting into some pretty tough company. Those last few seconds to the sharp end, if that's where you want to get, will take a huge effort.

Good luck at Phillip Island next month. Look forward to your race reports.

Cheers

Back