Scotland Tornado

Congratulations Ian, a real milestone. How was the issue of the sticking throttle (caused by the vacuum on the throttles blades) finally resolved?

Regards,
Andy

Well done Ian! Be interested to know from Andy S if the polycarbonate on the headlight apertures is E marked and if so where to get it? Also do the crossfire mirrors natively (without having to raise them) pass the rear view requirements?

Keith

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

The covers are E marked and we fit them to cars we are testing.

The mirrors do not pass the test.

Thanks

Andy

Andy, would your covers fit a Chris Melia body? Also, would appreciate if you could advise how the mirrors passed, as I plan on using them. Many Thanks

Brett

Thanks Andy S, my IVA is still way out of sight over the horizon, how much are the E-marked apertures? As Brett asked, if the crossfire mirrors don't pass, what do you do to get her through? Keith

Major milestone.......the car passed its IVA yesterday:pepper:

The car is being picked up for delivery back to me next week, then I can get the paperwork together and get the car registered. There is a list of jobs I need to work through, but now I can relax and get these done at my leisure.

Yee ha.........

Congrats Ian!

Now to get back on track with the thread....what color/scheme are you going for?

Cheers!

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Scott

Ian has told me it will be yellow with a dark stripe.

If any of you would like further info on our IVA service please give me a call and book your car in.

Thanks

Andy

Andy, I am aware of the IVA service you offer, I see the vendor announcement, I may even take you up on it in a few years time, if you play your cards right :) . Myself and Brett had asked a couple of reasonable questions, I believe in the spirit of the forum, information exchange. I therefore ask you directly, do Tornado supply the E-marked polycarb for the front apertures, if so what is the cost for a pair? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Andy is correct, the car will be painted yellow with dark stripes. As I have missed the summer now, the car will be painted next spring. .

I will also put off registering the car until next spring. I can’t see the point of registering it now, which means I have to pay road tax and fully comp insurance (the car is insured but not for road use), and then putting it the garage for 6 months waiting for the weather to improve.

Meantime, the car was collected yesterday and is being delivered back to me this morning.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian

Just on registering the car - depending on where it's registered it can sometimes take quite a while to sort it out (maybe a few weeks). You could consider registering it asap and then declaring SORN to save on the road tax. You won't need fully comp insurance as you'll have to trailer it to the DVLA inspection.

Cheers
James

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I could be wrong but I seem to remember at SVA time that there was a time limit between SVA / IVA and registration

After all the work of getting IVA it would be crazy to have to redo the process because your missed a deadline

Ian

I recently learned that all the local DVLA offices across the country are shutting down over the next month or so with everything being moved to Swansea. To try and avoid all the associated confusion during this transition, and to take the advice of others on the site, I decided to pop along to the Aberdeen one today and get the car registered (it closes next week). I can confirm that you do need an insurance cover note with the chassis number, you need the V55 form completed, the IAC form, proof of ID, bills/invoices, a certificate of newness, and payment (naturally!!). Also, you do not need to present the car anymore. After completing all this and paying them they money over the counter, the DVLA then told me that none of the local offices can process this paperwork now as it all goes to Swansea already…doh! On the basis that all my paperwork was in order and they have taken my money already, I assume there will be no problems with the registration. Assuming it doesn’t go missing at Swansea, it will take up to 6 weeks now to get it processed. Meanwhile, I’ve fitted all the parts back to the car post the IVA, plus I’ve put the side windows on.

Attachments

• DSCF0694[1].jpg
    DSCF0694[1].jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 593
  • DSCF0696[1].jpg
    DSCF0696[1].jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 584
  • DSCF0697[1].jpg
    DSCF0697[1].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCF0704[1].jpg
    DSCF0704[1].jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCF0705[1].jpg
    DSCF0705[1].jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 594
Andy G,

You asked me a while ago what was done to the sticky throttle to get the car through the IVA. The pedal was modified to bring the cable closer to the pivot point and the bellcrank was extended with a bracket to increase the leverage. Both were sufficient to get the car through its recent IVA, but the throttle is still resistant especially at the beginning of the travel. As the resistance is worse at the start of pedal travel, looking at the attached photo, my belief is that this is due to the initial angle of pull on the bellcrank.

Hopefully, I'll get some good advise from the separate thread I posted today.
Thanks
Ian

Attachments

• bellcrank.jpg
    bellcrank.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 650
Hi Ian

Firstly on the bell-crank at the carb end, I’d move the push-rods to the over holes, which will increase the lever ratio. To give more leverage at the start of the movement, I’d then start looking at making a throttle cam which give more leverage from a closed throttle, decreasing as it opens up.

Regards,
Andy

Well, it didn't take 6 week's for the dvla to process the paperwork, they did it in 4 days only! The v5 registration document arrived yesterday, the car is now fully uk road legal. I have to say, I am pretty impressed with how quickly the dvla turned this around. Meantime, I am having a Thatcham 1 alarm/immobiliser being installed as the insurance have stipulated this requirement.

Ian, I just saw and read your log. Very wonderful progress. I plan to by a complete kit car from Tornado too. I eager to know about the panels. Did you fold some of the panels by your self or you received a folded panels? Thanks.
Irvin

A Cobra alarm/immobiliser was fitted today with a microwave sensor. I also changed out the old gear know with a new Ford GT one which is a bit more in keeping with the steering wheel.

Irvin, the panels are cut to suit, folded, drilled out for the rivets, and then are glued and riveted in place.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0711[1].jpg
    DSCF0711[1].jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 677
  • DSCF0710[1].jpg
    DSCF0710[1].jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 675
  • DSCF0709[1].jpg
    DSCF0709[1].jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 673
Meantime, I am having a Thatcham 1 alarm/immobiliser being installed as the insurance have stipulated this requirement.

Congrats Ian.

One question. I thought having a Cat 1 alarm that was MESF fitted (or similar) was an IVA requirement? So can Iask what you did for the test please? Thanks

Brett

Back