Sean's RCR GT40 build

Sean S.

Supporter
Been working on getting the body fitted lately. I was able to get the front end straightened out where the wheels were rubbing the inner fenders. All I needed to do was trim the lip out of the wheel well, this made the front panels on the car look a lot cleaner at the same time.

I also went back to door fitment, I found the spider needs to come up a bit on the passenger side at the firewall. I haven't worked out exactly what the permanent fix will be just yet, just that it needs to go up a little to make the body lines work. I also put one bolt in the door hinge as discussed in earlier posts. I haven’t made the anti intrusion bars yet, but that one step made a huge difference in how solid the door feels. I definitely suggest this for anyone building an RCR car.

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 220

Sean S.

Supporter
Working on the body pins for the clamshell. Needed a bit of fiberglass to build up a good starting point for the mounts for the pins. I opted to recess the body pins in the clamshell with only 1/8” sticking out. I did this by tracing where they needed to be and used a router to allow for the recess. They came out pretty good and work to hold an 1/8” gap for the body lines.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1690.jpeg
    IMG_1690.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2050.jpeg
    IMG_2050.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2052.jpeg
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 211

Sean S.

Supporter
I’ve made the anti intrusion bars for the door. I tied it into the hinges and to the door latch assembly. I also glassed every thing to the door skin as well. Every thing is very solid on it now. I also fabricated a bar to hold the striker that is welded into the rear roll bar. I also plan to bolt it to the firewall as well. With these additions, the doors close more like a regular car door vs a fiberglass car door. I’m very happy how this turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2184.jpeg
    IMG_2184.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2192.jpeg
    IMG_2192.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2193.jpeg
    IMG_2193.jpeg
    595.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2197.jpeg
    IMG_2197.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 223

Sean S.

Supporter
What sort of sorcery am I looking at here. Did you figure a way to weld steel to aluminum? Pic 2194

Hi Brian,

The weld is to a steel plate. I added the plate to give me a spot to attach some bolts to the firewall to help lock it all in place, I haven’t installed the bolts yet, as I need to move the fuel surge tank to drill the holes.

Sean

Sean S.

Supporter
Fabricated the adjustable head light mounts and got them glassed in. Everything came out looking pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2229.jpeg
    IMG_2229.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 172
Curious what headlights you are using. They look directional meaning for left or right hand traffic but not both. Were they sourced for right hand drive (traffic) pattern?

Sean S.

Supporter
Curious what headlights you are using. They look directional meaning for left or right hand traffic but not both. Were they sourced for right hand drive (traffic) pattern?

Hi Lee.
I got the headlights supplied with the kit from RCR, but after googling the ayfar part number 10255 I found this below as the what they fit.

headlight to fit Renault 12 LHD models as well as Renault 10 , 15,16,17 models with rectangular headlights

Sean

I believe that implies cars that drive on the left hand side of the road (LHD), not where the steering wheel is located. People tend to confuse this. You should light them to ensure they are focused to the right side of your car. The Renault R12 headlight is typically a source for replacement headlights for GTs, but you have to be careful as to what traffic pattern they are designed for. I can't make out the E code on the light but that also determines what country the light is certified for.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Sean,
Is the time spent going well and just taking longer than expected, or are there issues that have caused unexpected delays? Or is life just getting in the way? I am still waiting for delivery. Hoping December or January. In the mean time I picked up a partially started FFR MK3 Roadster (Cobra replica) to occupy my time. It didn’t take long for me to realize everything takes three times as long as anticipated and I probably won’t get it finished before the GT40 arrives. But it is fun, so no worries.
Cheers, Randy

Ha Ha many of us feel the same. Your doing a great job though. Keep it up. It will be worth.

I found that when really frustrated I need to take a break for a while. When I come back at it I often change things a bit for the better after having time to think it over. Good luck. I have enjoyed following your build.

Sean S.

Supporter
Sean,
Is the time spent going well and just taking longer than expected, or are there issues that have caused unexpected delays? Or is life just getting in the way? I am still waiting for delivery. Hoping December or January. In the mean time I picked up a partially started FFR MK3 Roadster (Cobra replica) to occupy my time. It didn’t take long for me to realize everything takes three times as long as anticipated and I probably won’t get it finished before the GT40 arrives. But it is fun, so no worries.
Cheers, Randy
Its mostly life getting in the way these days, job has me traveling alot now. Also doesnt help I decided to learn how be a machinist... although I have a very long way to go before I can call myself one.

I plan to build a Cobra next, the wife is really wanting one. Ive been looking at the FFR ones, they seem like they have a nice product. What are your thoughts on that kit?

The wife really wants me to get the Superformance one vs a kit. :oops:

Sean S.

Supporter
Ha Ha many of us feel the same. Your doing a great job though. Keep it up. It will be worth.

I found that when really frustrated I need to take a break for a while. When I come back at it I often change things a bit for the better after having time to think it over. Good luck. I have enjoyed following your build.
Thanks, Im still having fun every minute I get time to work on it though.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Sean, I don't think you can go wrong with a FFR Roadster kit. Starting in 2014, I built mine in 15 mo. after taking the 3 day build school which was conveniently located near where I live. Plenty of power with only a 306ci/340hp sbf, T5 trans & 3.55 axle. I didn't build it as a show car or to track it, but we still get lots of compliments on it. My wife actually loves to drive it and probably does so harder than I do. Just a little tip if you do decide on one: Buy a bunch of 1/8" drill bits and make sure you have an air powered rivet gun....... Rod

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sean, I don't think you can go wrong with a FFR Roadster kit. Starting in 2014, I built mine in 15 mo. after taking the 3 day build school which was conveniently located near where I live. Plenty of power with only a 306ci/340hp sbf, T5 trans & 3.55 axle. I didn't build it as a show car or to track it, but we still get lots of compliments on it. My wife actually loves to drive it and probably does so harder than I do. Just a little tip if you do decide on one: Buy a bunch of 1/8" drill bits and make sure you have an air powered rivet gun....... Rod
#30 drill bits are just a few thousandths larger than 1/8” and make rivet insertion a breeze…
Having built a half dozen FFRs teaches a few tricks! FFR kits are a great learning tool.

Back