SL-C #50 Allan's Build

How is the traction control install coming along? Any observations from the driver's seat on the difference?

Doug

How is the traction control install coming along? Any observations from the driver's seat on the difference?

Doug

I have it all set so that the car runs and I can drive it. I haven't gotten a chance to program it though because the laptop I have isn't compatable with the program. That should be the easy part though and it should be set by the end of the week.

sounds great! Would love to read about the traction control product. Did you share a link?
look forward to hearing more about it.
Cheers,

Doug

sounds great! Would love to read about the traction control product. Did you share a link?
look forward to hearing more about it.
Cheers,

Doug

Racelogic - Traction Control

I got the race logic system in a group buy back in the summer. It was a lot less expensive through the group buy. I had to get the 4 wheel sensors and the set up for the 8 cylinder version. It's a pretty straight forward install but just takes time to carefully wire it.

I bought a set of the APR mirrors.

They arrived w/ broken glass, booo :(

But on the positive side they seem to fit the car's shape and style nicely so I think I"ll use them (once replaced)

After speaking with Allan I also bought these mirrors, and I agree they are a great fit for the style and size of our cars. I was able to fit them about 2 inches higher than Allan and the view covered out the rear is very good. They are very light at just 180 grams per side and good quality at a very reasonable price.

Thanks Allan.

After speaking with Allan I also bought these mirrors, and I agree they are a great fit for the style and size of our cars. I was able to fit them about 2 inches higher than Allan and the view covered out the rear is very good. They are very light at just 180 grams per side and good quality at a very reasonable price.

Thanks Allan.

The only thing I don't like about them is the glass is fixed and the mirror pivots, meaning that (at least with my setup to get good visability) if you stand behind the car you can tell the passenger mirror is cocked inwards more. Beyond that complaint though, I love 'em :D

I received my APR mirrors, and took some photos for you guys. I have to say, they are a nice quality piece, and unbelievably light. The size is smaller than I had envisioned, which I hope isn't an issue when mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 344
I had the same reaction about the size of them at first. Now I don't even notice them, they blend so well with the look of the car.

Make sure to mount them up higher than I had the original mirrors like Mesa did and the visiblility behind the car will be really good.

Allan and Mesa: Did you guys use any sort of backing plate when installing the mirrors? I'm concerned about the forces being applied to such a small area of the bodywork when at speed.

Allan and Mesa: Did you guys use any sort of backing plate when installing the mirrors? I'm concerned about the forces being applied to such a small area of the bodywork when at speed.

I just used a rubber matt/gasket underneath it.

Update on the traction control.
Once I entered the correct tire size, number of cylinders and various other parameters, the TC has worked great. It's very easy to adjust and really wasn't difficult to install. I tested it with the rear tires off the ground and the system quickly senses the spin and starts cutting out the fuel injectors. The thing is that the SL-C grips the road incredibly so it's hard to get any slip in any conditions. Just nice to know it will stop the slip if needed.

Update on the mirrors
Since I had holes in the doors already from the original mirrors I was committed to putting the CF mirrors in the same place. To get even better visibility I took the mirror bodies off and lengthened the internal stems 1.5 inches so that the mirrors sit up higher.
Now the mirrors give almost full behind the car views along with great views along both outer sides of the car.

Allan,
Saw your comments about cooling in the other thread.

How did you attach your fans to the radiator? Or did you build some framework to attach without a shroud? I looked here for some pictures, but didn't see anything that shed light.

Thank you,

Doug

Just mocked mine up for position so far, when it comes to dedicated mounting I will need to add some thick fiberglass to the window frame due to my chosen location higher on the frame.

Allan,
Saw your comments about cooling in the other thread.

How did you attach your fans to the radiator? Or did you build some framework to attach without a shroud? I looked here for some pictures, but didn't see anything that shed light.

Thank you,

Doug

I'm not Allen but I bit a shroud.

radfan3.jpg

I <3 my shroud

Silly question, but here goes: If the shroud is placed directly on the radiator, would you effectively decrease the air flow in all areas that the fan is not directly pulling air from?

I was thinking that if the shroud were spaced a few centimeters off of the radiator, which would also increase the distance from the radiator to the fans, air could be pulled from all areas of the radiator.

It's hard to tell from the photo Alex, so my apologies if I'm not quite seeing it correctly.

In the attached photo you can see how the shroud is "domed" away from where it would attach to the radiator.

Attachments

• BPE Fan Shroud small.jpg
    BPE Fan Shroud small.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 254
Silly question, but here goes: If the shroud is placed directly on the radiator, would you effectively decrease the air flow in all areas that the fan is not directly pulling air from?

I was thinking that if the shroud were spaced a few centimeters off of the radiator, which would also increase the distance from the radiator to the fans, air could be pulled from all areas of the radiator.

It's hard to tell from the photo Alex, so my apologies if I'm not quite seeing it correctly.

In the attached photo you can see how the shroud is "domed" away from where it would attach to the radiator.

Ben,
I think you are right! You need to have some room behind the fins for proper airflow.

Alex,
Nice job. I assume you left some space for airflow. If not, you could always space the shroud further if it doesn't work.

How are other folks attaching the fans when they do not use a shroud?
Anyone have pictures?

Doug

There's an aluminum lip on top of the radiator that hangs down a bit and is away from the core. I used a limiter and drilled then tapped the upper and lower lip then just bolted the fans in. I put a piece of metal between the lip and core also just in case and used the same method in the upper front for the ac.

Back