SL-C #50 Allan's Build

Silly question, but here goes: If the shroud is placed directly on the radiator, would you effectively decrease the air flow in all areas that the fan is not directly pulling air from?

I was thinking that if the shroud were spaced a few centimeters off of the radiator, which would also increase the distance from the radiator to the fans, air could be pulled from all areas of the radiator.

It's hard to tell from the photo Alex, so my apologies if I'm not quite seeing it correctly.

In the attached photo you can see how the shroud is "domed" away from where it would attach to the radiator.

That's correct - (at least according to my research) - you want space between the fan and the radiator. I believe it was something like 2'' is the ideal distance.

it's hard to tell from the picture, but the fan shroud is not flat on the radiator

Before I cut the fan holes and had it welded up

radfan2.jpg

That photo is really helpful. Thank you very much. I was wondering how I was going to go about designing something.

I made a frame of 1" square tube aluminum welded to the radiator. The cover/fan mount is 1/8" aluminum with riv-nuts to mount the cover and fans. The top cover is 16 gauge aluminum run through a bead roller. The condencer mounts with riv-nuts and spacers on the radiator lip.

Attachments

• AGF00001.JPG
    AGF00001.JPG
    602 KB · Views: 627
  • AGF00002.JPG
    AGF00002.JPG
    587 KB · Views: 621
Job well done Al. Thanks for the photos. Now, unless I can talk you into fabricating one up for me, I'll need to find myself someone to fabricate and weld aluminum.

Name your price:shy:

The real reason for a wing

Over the past three weeks I've take my SL-C to 3 large car shows. The SL-C is extremely well received and so many people just stand around it in a state of awe. Many actually have known what it is from seeing it on Gearz but can't believe how great it looks in person. It's really popular with people of all ages and I can't tell you how many people want to know what dealership they can go to buy one. And as an added bonus it has taken best in show or Driver's choice in all the shows so far.

Anyway, I found another reason to install a wing :laugh:

0013.jpg

I love that car (drools on keyboard) nice job

Off topic, does Fran offer that wing setup from the 01 car that works with the street rear?

Thanks everyone but the congrats really goes to the SL-C, it just steals the show where ever you go. Some day I hope to get it on the track and get the same results.

As per the wing, it's an aftermarket but Fran does have some set up for it to be rear mounted and there's a CF option.

Thanks everyone but the congrats really goes to the SL-C, it just steals the show where ever you go. Some day I hope to get it on the track and get the same results.

As per the wing, it's an aftermarket but Fran does have some set up for it to be rear mounted and there's a CF option.

Thanks. I was talking more of the actual 01 wing and mounts. Im sure I can fabricate something along those lines but sometimes its cheaper/easier to buy it.

The 01 has some large CNC cut mounts that hinge and the wing is a version of our already available selig 1223 race wing but custom made to accept the goosneck mounting system...so its an option but not a not a cheap one...sorry

Thanks Fran. No big deal, I can fabricate something on my end when the time comes. I wasn't a fan of the street rear but it has grown on me over the last 6 months. I just need to have it with the race wing to cap it off.

Re: The real reason for a wing

Over the past three weeks I've take my SL-C to 3 large car shows. The SL-C is extremely well received and so many people just stand around it in a state of awe. Many actually have known what it is from seeing it on Gearz but can't believe how great it looks in person. It's really popular with people of all ages and I can't tell you how many people want to know what dealership they can go to buy one. And as an added bonus it has taken best in show or Driver's choice in all the shows so far.

Anyway, I found another reason to install a wing :laugh:

0013.jpg

I guess the trophies for land speed records are siting in front of the nose. :thumbsup: Nice job, and well deserved Allan.

Take Care.

Beautiful car Allan. Your craftmanship shows in the final product. The blue paint is just fantastic, love that paint job. The trophies are well deserved. Great Job! Bill

Charging the AC

The heater works great in the SL-C but with the heat wave it was time to charge up the AC system.
I have used in the past a product called Envirosafe and used it again on my SL-C. It doesn't need the system to be in a vacuum situation and isn't affected by moisture in the system like 134a. And .38 pounds is equivalent to 1 pound of 134.
I have a ac manifold kit from Harbor Freight so it was just a matter of hooking up to the high and low sides, putting in an oil charge and one can of refrigerant to give enough pressure to activate the tri nary switch. Then with the car running turn on the ac then fill the system to 40 pounds on the low side.
Works great and blows very cold air.

Back