SL-C delivered

You gotta love that 42" SLC height next to the land cruiser. You're huggin the track at Lamborghini, err, sorry 787b dimensions there. Thanks for the pics. I'm flying to Detriot Fran to deliver the check Tuesday. Hope to have a smooth SLC landing like yours by end of the month..

Looking at those pics over and over makes me want mine even more, haha.

Frannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, any ETA? :heart: (knowing my luck, when it's -50* outside, heh)

You know Mark? Have we met? I was at Seven(not)Stock last year after main event. You V8 guys aren't as bad as everyone says you are...well most of you at least :D
Mark and I go back to high school and he lives about 5 minutes away from me in the SF. It is his shop my car is at right now and his LS7 powered 3rd gen RX-7 is about 10 feet away from my car. I was helping him work on it prior to my own cars arrival that day...mostly undoing things he's done ;)
Mark says his car is over at Sambergs now and it should be running by Sunday. I understand you have GT40 too besides a wrong-motor RX-7. Nice set of toys.

No unfortunately we haven't met yet. Mark and I have been freinds since his Buick GN powered FC days. I also had a GN and that's how we met in th late 90's. Yeah I've got a 94 FD with an LS6 and racelogic tc. The LS7 is on the engine stand waiting to go in when we get back. We're all going to crash the party. You should go.

BTW, the more I look at the SL-C the more I want to make it my next project. Oh and I'll power it with a RELIABLE V8...... :laugh:

I too think it would be cool to see a GTM and SL-C on track together, though I think I'd only see the GTM in the LCD from the backup camera and to insure it stayed that way, I'm installing an oil sprayer on the ass end of the car :laugh:

Not sure if I'll do any straight up racing in it but I've said before I do have aspirations to run in the 25 hr of T-Hill. Too far down the road to make that call at this point. I will for sure be Time Trialing the car with NASA. Goal is to drive the car to the track, spank the TTU/TTR trailer queens butts and drive the car home with their women in tow :devil:

Well, at least you aren't running one of those V8 oil sprayers!

I am currently running some events in the GTMR with NASA. Why don't you stop by sometime and we can chat. I will be running the Oct 10-11 NASA races at Buttonwillow in the Super Unlimited class.

Again, the car looks great. I would love to own one, but Fran is just very inflexible towards me, so I have decided to do a full race GTM. My body is on the way from Massachusets as we speak. Engine is a 600ish LS3 sitting in my shop already. Haven't decided on gearbox yet. I seem to remember that someone posted a dyno sheet of their rotary that was in the 600 level, so if that was you, we should be pretty well matched, HP wise, if you do end up racing it. I am struggling against some 800+ Roush powered cars right now. We only currently are running about 400. They keep breaking though, so we actually have a shot at 1st place for the year end points in SU. The car has already secured a 2nd place in the year end point standings in SCCA Super Production. Frank Emmet was the problem there.

Anyway, the GTMR will be at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill again this year. Again, feel free to stop by and say hi. I may not be driving this year, but will be there and would gladly share a drink and some BS. I love the rotaries, but the new LS engines are just dang hard to beat for the price. It would be really cool if you could get the SLC road worthy by the beginning of December so you could actually drive it to the 25. Any chance of that? I haven't seen an SLC up close yet and would love to.....especially with a rotary in it. :)

I've been following Richards car since the beginning and continue to read his/others/your updates and always hope that crew does well.

Are you converting your car to center drive like Richards? I'd think you'd have to unless you change the roof profile because of the proximity of the roll bar to the noggin.

That dyno was of another 20b, not mine, and that is power to the wheels fwiw. I plan on easily making more but may turn down the boost to make the car more manageable.

No way in hell the car will be driveable in December but I'll take a rain check on the drink and BS though.

Dave, white with black wheels? I hit Brian with this so you're the next victim......
Seriously,good color scheme. How long for the engine build?
Hey,Doc! look in the trailer and see if my '40 is in there.

Attachments

• Brian's color scheme.jpg
    Brian's color scheme.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 711
Dave, white with black wheels? I hit Brian with this so you're the next victim......
Seriously,good color scheme. How long for the engine build?
Hey,Doc! look in the trailer and see if my '40 is in there.

That looks like pure sex. Awesome!

Are you converting your car to center drive like Richards? I'd think you'd have to unless you change the roof profile because of the proximity of the roll bar to the noggin.

Actually I will be leaving it a two seater due to the fact that 1) the single seat setup limited the car to the "catch all" classes, and making it a two seater will open it up to about 6 other classes it can run in, and 2) we decided we REALLY need something we can take some guests in for rides around the track.

The FFR frame will never even be in my shop. It's a clean sheet build as far as that is concerned. Foot box placement, head placement, and cage bar placement will be substantially different. It is designed to a maximum of a six foot four inch tall driver/passenger.

Thanks for the kind words.

Just talked to the transporter: My SL-C will not be here until Friday or Saturday. :veryangry: They are waiting for another car at a carshow to be ready for pick-up....Well, I've waited this long so a few more days won't hurt. Besides, maybe it will dry out enough here to actually move it into the shop (and take better photos of course). They could have at least called to let me off the hook this weekend.

Shipping Cos really piss me off sometimes. Last time I received something by truck they were 6 hours late, damaged my item, and dumped about a half a quart of oil out of their crappy truck onto my new driveway!!

They should have called, but it could be worse. Make sure you inspect everything thouroughly BEFORE signing for anything.

Sorry to hear about having to wait. I am betting it will be worth it in the end.
I don't know how these companies with crappy service stay open. It is hard to get anyone to call you back these days.

Actually I will be leaving it a two seater due to the fact that 1) the single seat setup limited the car to the "catch all" classes, and making it a two seater will open it up to about 6 other classes it can run in, and 2) we decided we REALLY need something we can take some guests in for rides around the track.
Smart.
The FFR frame will never even be in my shop. It's a clean sheet build as far as that is concerned. Foot box placement, head placement, and cage bar placement will be substantially different. It is designed to a maximum of a six foot four inch tall driver/passenger.
Thanks for the kind words.
So are you doing a ground-up/one-off frame build and just putting the GTM body on it? Still using the vette donor for the designated parts? What is left of the GTM as designed will you be using?
Just talked to the transporter: My SL-C will not be here until Friday or Saturday. :veryangry:
I hear you screaming Doc. My shipment was delayed a week too, however, I was notified the Friday it was due and didn't sit on my arse all weekend only to be disappointed.

The days seem to get longer even the the sun sets earlier :worried:

FYI, there is a new e.t. record for rotary engine drag cars. Set over the weekend Down Under. This happens to be with a 20b three rotor. The long-standing mph record is 209 and also belongs to a 20b but "up" here in SoCal. That may not sound impressive when compared to big displacent piston engine setups, but keep in mind the relatively small number of people racing and developing these little engines.
YouTube - PACPerformance Mazda 6 6.75 at 201 Mph

And for one that sounds even better, give this a'listenin to :D
YouTube - Mazda RX-3 Commercial

So are you doing a ground-up/one-off frame build and just putting the GTM body on it? Still using the vette donor for the designated parts? What is left of the GTM as designed will you be using?

Not much. This will be a ground up racer. Probably will even modify the body a bit to put it back to what the VBM (original platform for the GTM body) was. Access is really not very good the way it comes from FFR.

I have built roughly 6 ground up cars so far, and have a Riley & Scott Trans Am car and a Lola LMP1 car in a previous employers shop that I am going to base many of the suspension designs on.

It will be as much of a GTM as the Maseratti's in ALMS are Maseratti's. :)

The engine will be about the only thing that is similar except for the body.

Just thought I would give a little update since we have been talking about shipping companies.

My body was supposed to be on a truck yesterday. Yellow Roadway sent a truck with a 4 foot by 4 foot liftgate to pickup a 10 foot by 7 foot crate, which I declared in the contract. Idiots.

I also had to pay an extra $65 for the liftgate that couldn't be used, along with another $40 to have them call before pickup and delivery.

Now they are delivering the crate to the YRC terminal down the street and then letting them deal with it there.

So far, YRC is living up to their reputation. And they wonder why they are losing money and market share.

Crash,

That really SUCKS! A few years ago YRC was one of the best around, then went to the toilet! Make sure you check for damage before acceptance..

Crash,

I certainly "feel your pain". I hope they are at least careful with your body and it comes to you in good shape.

We are also having a gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters shipped this week and the good news is that this shipper called ahead to tell us he will be in Greenville TX tonight and deliver in the AM to us! AND, he will call again in the AM to give us an ETA. So, at least their are a few out there that take their jobs seriously.

I'm not really complaining about my SL-C shipping, just the lack of a courtesy call.

Back