SL-C Wrap

Cody DeHart

Supporter
Okay, I was thinking about doing a wrap on my SL-C; this is what I came up with. Be honest, it won't hurt my feelings. The thought behind this was to have different designs and lines to mask the body panels not matching up perfectly and instead of random designs, I decided to do equations and other math related things since I am an engineer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 661

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I kinda like it! It's different and clearly puts a "Techie" light on the car...

Now for some "TRON" inspired lighting around the wheels!!!

It reminds me of the Testing style wraps done by companies, when they are trying to hide details of a new car, only not as severe.

I like it as it is simple but personal.

Yeah giver,
I was gonna do mine like a jet fighter in a distressed brushed alum color with air brushed multiple riveted panels with light smoke out the vents. But it was to much work lol. Wrapping it might have been easier way to do it.

Do whatever you like. Kinda reminds me of some of the BMW "art" cars.

Speaking of wrapping (Not the Fiddy Cent kind) I took the very complex #21 917 Martini paint job and modified (photo chop) it to fit my car. Only had a chance to ask one wrapper if he could do it, basically he said "no" too complicated to keep the lines consistent across all the body lines.

How much do the body panels not match up exactly? From photos SLC's look fine, I have never seen one in person, yet, I sure hope SLC's are not 20 footers.

As for the look, it has a race car "theme" why not go all the way with angular lines to work the same way cammo does. I dare your eyes to focus on body panel gap oe alignment on hte car below.

Just a though is all.

aa89141.jpg

If Jim can do it why not?? It is something I considered and then passed on due to the fact they have trouble with compound curves like the upper vents on the 40. With a graphic design the cuts can be hidden

Jim_zpsqlza83zw.jpg

Bill

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Now that Bill brought up the SCG003, I've also been considering a wrap. I've been looking at the SCG003 poster my son has in his room and thinking I'll bring it with me when getting quotes. I'm thinking something similar to the yellow and black SCG003 but in red and black.

scuderia-cameron-glickenhaus-scg003c_23.jpg

I think it's a neat idea, but I also think it would be difficult to pull off in person. From a short distance, it would look like manufacturer camo, or just look dirty. If your panel gaps are not that good, then it will look like a car with poor fits that looks dirty. I don't mean to be negative, but there is a big difference between a car looking good in pictures and a car looking good as you stand next to it. Those little details like panel gaps, imperfections in the wrap as they try to get it to stretch to the correct position to line up...depending on how fastidious you are....and being an engineer I assume you are more so than most....will drive you insane.

Standing next to a race car, I have been surprised at how rough they look in person. They look great on tv, even close up shots. But it's not the same. I said in my build log that I wasn't going to spend a lot of time on appearance, I wanted to get the car running then worry about looks later. But I can't help myself. Like a vampire that has to count the toothpicks when thrown on the floor.

I'm an engineer...not a vampire ;)

The cars that you see with good fits have likely had a lot of time spent getting there. The car doesn't just fall together, unfortunately. Is that picture of your SLC? Have you already built one or are you planning one? If you've already built it, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Pete, that's a very cool color scheme. And car. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

A.J.

Cody DeHart

Supporter
I do have an SL-C but I did not build it.
The more I look at my car the lines of the car doesn't bother me as much but there are lots of spots where the gel coat was not filled properly and there are pin holes and there are spots that the clear coat is thin and looks like the paint got burnt in a couple of spots. So I still think the wrap might be a good option if it is executed properly.

I feel your pain. I intend on buffing the gel coat for the short term. But the problem is there are lots of voids along the edges. That will shorten my tolerance for having a non-painted ride.

Good luck if you decide to do the wrap. It has been kicked around, but I'm not sure if anyone on the forum has pulled the trigger yet.

As I think about it, the first SLC I ever saw in person was wrapped. It had a bee theme and was predominantly black with yellow graphics. And I didn't once look at the door fits or paint/surface quality.....the graphics on the wrap was so distracting and in my opinion not in a favorable way. It was a high quality job, lots of detail and the results looked nearly flawless. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

I do agree that they can look great and I hope you come up with something really cool!

A.J.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I do have an SL-C but I did not build it.
The more I look at my car the lines of the car doesn't bother me as much but there are lots of spots where the gel coat was not filled properly and there are pin holes and there are spots that the clear coat is thin and looks like the paint got burnt in a couple of spots. So I still think the wrap might be a good option if it is executed properly.

A wrap won't hide the pin holes and gelcoat issues. You will need to fix those before you do the wrap.

Back