SLC 36 Cam's Build

Aha, it must be............
Overlayed the engine bulkhead with Kevlar today, fantastic! Will make some Kevlar composite panels for the lower too. As soon as I make a pattern.

I haven't posted in a while, wiring is moving along nicely. Thats an old shot of the fusebox area. I've since ripped it out. I'm adding heads up display, rear view camera and had to switch the headlights. Turns out pin C3 on the 40 way connector is driving lights not head lights. C2 is actually driving lights.

Got the A/C compressor on and found that a 38.5" belt fit best. the stock 40.5" was too big.

Took a piece of 1" Al square tubing and made a holder for the speed sensor to keep it 1mm form the front hub.

I also had to stick one more shot form delivery on there

Attachments

• wiring progress.jpg
    wiring progress.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 594
  • ac comp.jpg
    ac comp.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 607
  • P5141500.jpg
    P5141500.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 592
  • delivery2.jpg
    delivery2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 717
  • P4271484.jpg
    P4271484.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 528
I'm adding heads up display,

HUD? Nice - that's one of the favorite features in my z06.

This is one car though where I don't think it's necessary - the digidash provides a clean, clear speedo number. With the HUD, you have to get the positioning bang on, not to mention you may (or may not) run into opacity issues - the Z06 uses a special glass to reflect it (different than standard 'vette glass with no HUD). I was in one that had the windshield replaced with non-z06-oem glass and the difference in visibility of the HUD was noticeable (atleast to me)

It's got a see through reflective sticker to improve reflectivity. I just need an analog tach. by the time my mind calculated how many digital rpms i have to go befroe redline, i've hit fuel pump cut out. I don't really care about speed, the police keep track of that for me!

A milestone, I put power to the wirig harness on 4th of July and only 1 short! No fires! I mistakenly wired the horn to switch on power and it is actually ground switched in the EZ wiring harness. A quick snip and voila, horn. Got the engine in and another milesone, the shifter cables are now the right lenght. 102/104" works with the cables up agains the LS block. This turned out to be the most straight forward to keep them away from the cats. I traced them in heat wrap. Here is a pic of the shifter. i mounted it on some 3" x 1/4" angle to get the angle similar to the center console.

Attachments

• shifter 2.jpg
    shifter 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 438
  • shifter 1.jpg
    shifter 1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 478
Got the rims off and bleed the rear brakes. 2 more fittings to go to bleed the front.

2 more things holding me back from engine start, Induction and fuel sender.

For induction i was considering cutting a hole in the back of th rear clip and putting on a scoop behind the rear glass. I'd rather not take one of the side intakes for induction, need to cool that TX air. Any opinions on that?

Bent the digidash fuel sender to miss the baffles in the fuel tank and side mount not top mount. By the way, ETB and Chet of Galek Motorsportshas been great supporting the Digidash. Chet even sent me an extra gasket and some magnets, N/C.

Attachments

• Fuel sender DD.JPG
    Fuel sender DD.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 325
  • Brake Bleed.jpg
    Brake Bleed.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 572

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Cam -
It is looking very good - the car is coming along nicely. Would it be possible for you to take a close-up photo of the rear/top Ricardo mount? I need to have the tabs welded on to the X bar and mounting plate I'd like to show the welder what the finished mount should look like.
Regards,
Dave L

Cam,

That's pretty exciting to see how close you're getting!

I too have been looking into rear scoop options for induction. I believe Fran's "mule" and Ernie's car both had rear scoops. CRC has a rear NACA for induction I believe. I like the latter if I can find a suitable one.

I've been working on door install......not my cup of tea! I'm planning to move my "SLC Operation" to San Angelo to fill the leased home's garage for the time being until the Lone Oak horse property sells.

Give me some advanced notice for a weekend road test and I'll be there!

Attachments

• attachment-7.jpg
    attachment-7.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 774
Doc, engine start is one thing, driving will be a bit longer, then TX approved driving. Could be a while. I'm racing to beat Oct.
I was looking at the Naca's but they seem to cut alot of depth. There's only a 3-4 inches to work with above the cross member from my calculation but i've had the rear clip in storage since delivery.
Dave, i'll work on getting that photo friday.

You guys are kicking my butt. Someone said back when I still had one of the only delivered cars "hopefully we will catch up and be able to contribute to your build" or something like that. You boys are moving right along and leaving me in the dust.

At least I'm back in the shop on a limited basis now, so maybe I can prove my worth again....maybe....maybe not....

cheers

Rob,

That was my quote and you're still outpacing me I believe. BTW, I got the fuel cell back from Harmon Racing and from Fran. These photos show the vent tube needing rework. Fran chopped this off and welded a bung in it's place so now the tank will fit under the cross member. Fran added a tube through the cell where there was just bladder showing....much better.

Attachments

• _DSC2561_2.jpg
    _DSC2561_2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 414
  • _DSC2562_2.jpg
    _DSC2562_2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 394
  • _DSC2563_2.jpg
    _DSC2563_2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 383
  • _DSC2564_2.jpg
    _DSC2564_2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 398
Rob;

I'd kill for 18" wide can am rims with flared fiber glass rear wheel wells. But eh, my first build i'll go quick and conservative.

Dave;
Here are a few shots of the 5th point tranny mount.

Attachments

• P2171537.jpg
    P2171537.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 322
  • P3111453.jpg
    P3111453.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 382
OK, i think i solved the problem of induction. Turn the SLC into a hatchback and stick the rat tail out the back...?

Attachments

• rat tail.jpg
    rat tail.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 811
Back