SLC at VIR 13 hour Oct 29th

I am excited to say we will be running the Green SLC 01 in the VIR 13 hr "Charge of the Light Brigade"

This is the race that Ron Earp and fellow lunatics have run in the past and will be running in the RCR T70 this year.

We have made many changes to the car from sprint race trim last month.

A new much lower hp power engine package to help with fuel mileage
DOT race rubber
Smaller fuel cell
Quick fill dry break fuel system
Exterior lights and spot lights
Air jack system
Adjustable pedals

New sponsor on board also....Louis Chevrolet Swiss watches...

to join our existing sponsors of

ISIS wiring and the Driveshaft shop

We will arrive late Wednesday evening for testing on Thursday and Friday and the Race on Saturday.

We are all looking forward to a long day in the saddle and hopefully we will have a couple of RCR's finish the race....which is in itself quite a victory....fingers crossed...

Last edited:
What is the start time on Saturday? I'm trying to make it up there take some pictures and see the event.

Ron Earp

Admin
Cat --> Bag

I was wondering when you'd spill the beans on the SLC run. This year will be a banner year for RCR if you cap it off with a VIR victory - winning the NASA SU championship with the SLC and I think you have a strong possibility of the overall victory at the 13 hour.

I'm looking forward to seeing the SLC run at VIR. Should be a fantastic weekend.

Ron

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
It is tough but you guys have a good package. I'm pulling for you....to finish second!

LOL...seroiusly, see you there.

Ron Earp

Admin
True, if any of your cars hit the podium it is a win for RCR. As far as I know your replicas (and SLC), and Factory Five's, are the only non-mainstream production cars that are raced in endurance racing and in sanctioned SCCA / NASA racing. That in itself puts RCR in a unique position with active race feedback and a product that is race proven.

Fran Hall wrote: "We have made many changes to the car from sprint race trim last month.

A new much lower hp power engine package to help with fuel mileage"

Hmmmmmm . . .

Would that emphasize "lower horsepower," such as the BRM H16 engine?

image.php
image.php

Or will it emphasise the "better fuel mileage", such as the Ford Pinto engine:

elite2literengine.jpg

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Bassanio et Portia :)

Ron Earp

Admin
Hmmmmmm . . .

Would that emphasize "lower horsepower," such as the BRM H16 engine?

Or will it emphasise the "better fuel mileage", such as the Ford Pinto engine:

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Oh, you could go wrong with one of these two. The 2.3L SOHC Pinto motor would see you through the race, that BRM engine likely wouldn't make it around for lap one.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
How could the H16 go wrong? It's British, is two flat 8s stuck together with some weird siamese twin crankshaft and is I am sure and inherently simple, elegant and rugged design.

I am English even I agree wholeheartedly.....

We could use a Merlin though...love those engines...

We are in fact using a bone stock LS3 with a dry sump system being the only mod.

Ron Earp

Admin
How could the H16 go wrong? It's British, is two flat 8s stuck together with some weird siamese twin crankshaft and is I am sure and inherently simple, elegant and rugged design.

The only BRM engine I've ever seen was in England at the Festival of Speed. A large number of mechanics were gathered round it with name patches sewn into their coveralls. Names like Simon, Nigel, Alistair, and Trevor - all fine British names for smart British mechanics. In fact, quite a crowd had assembled to hear it run. It didn't start.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
LS3 stock with dry sump is a smart move. Tough engine.

The H16 didn't start? I guess that is kind of like the Wright Cyclone on the B-17 that cost Jeff, Ron and Mr. Earp a bomber ride.....

I believe the H16 did win one F1 race - in a Lotus. It was indeed 2 flat 8s coupled together with gears and although remarkably compact was too complicated to be much competition for the Cosworth DFV which had simplicity, reliability and lots of power in its favour.

Jeff, you are exactly right!

And, now I will reveal to you the true depth of my vast understanding of engines British and of my engineering virtuosity.

1. Sufficient Horsepower

According to that sign behind the H16, it says that the engine is "delivering close on 600bhp." Far too much for this long-distance race, I know.

The H16, however, delivers it, when it starts, only for very short amounts of time. SO, at the start of the race, RCR's SLC would flash ahead, shrieking to an insurmountable lead with BRM's 600bhp.

Two point five laps later, one (or some) of the 128 valve springs, or one of the 64 valves, or a few pistons, or a crankshaft or two, would go "tink", or "crack" or "bonk". The resultant shrapnel would spread throughout the H16 at a very high velocity, stopping the engine in a most efficient manner.

The result? 600 bhp for 2.5 laps, zero bhp for the remainder of the race. Average the two horsepower figures out over the length of the race and, voila! you have your perfect horsepower figure to run the race.

2. Good fuel consumption

The H16 would gorge itself on 100+ octane fuel in the early laps of the race, converting it into frantic, screeching 600 horsepower. Then (this is the great part), after it explodes: it will not use any fuel at all!!!!

Again, average the fuel consumed at the start of the race versus all that you SAVE for the rest of the race and you have the most economical fuel burn of the entire field! :)

3. Peace of Mind

An added benefit (Fran, I have added this for your benefit, knowing your English heritage) is that, after Turn Five on Lap two, you could rest your mind completely, being fully assured that the H16--a British engine, mind you--would never leak a single drop of oil for the rest of the race! You could continue the race, confident that the oil had all been deposited at the entrance to that high-speed right-hander, number 4.

If any doubt assails you, just glance in your rear-view mirror. All of your competitors, in fact the entire rest of the field, is slipping and sliding off the track showering beautiful sprays of H16 oil--O joy! as they all settle in the mud, or snuggle against the Armco.

5. A Guaranteed Victory

Since you have completed Turn 5, and your rivals are mired in Turn 4, you have completed the greatest distance, and therefore are assured to be crowned The Victor!

There it is, Fran, the sum of my vast racing experience and the genius of my superb engineering brain, solving all your problems, laid at your feet.

Humbly yours,

Bassanio et Portia :)

We are in fact using a bone stock LS3 with a dry sump system being the only mod.

I know that a "stock" LS3 in a GM car makes anywhere from 420-430 hp, depending on the car. How much do they make in an SLC that has better intake, exhaust, dry sump, cooling, etc?

Latest update:

The 01 car did not qualify. Had no wet traction and crashed. It's all fixed and will be on grid.

Back