SLC Coolant Tank Group Buy?

DAVE
Where the hell were you when I needed a tank built!!????
HAHA...

Great job, thanks for the effort.
Now work on your car, or I'll lock you in the shop until you do.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the positive feedback on the tanks guys - much appreciated.

Rob - All I need is more time! Actually, Ben came up and helped me remove the spider last weekend so I can finish cutting out the remaining openings (outside of the shop). I'm working on the SLC as I find time but it's a slow process. Looking forward to your next update on 001!

Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Re: SLC Coolant Tank - Product Recall

It has come to my attention that there is an issue with the tank. When pressurized to 16 psi there is unacceptable deflection of the back of the tank. The buyer explained his test method and I repeated it with my tank and experienced similar results. The deflection is apparently due to the relatively large surface area of the back of the tank - there were no deflection issues with the sidewalls or front of the tank. The buyer is working on a simple solution and I am working on a similar solution.

I accept responsibility for this problem and will work with each buyer on an equitable solution. If my solution proves acceptable (I should now within the next 2 weeks) I will share shipping costs (buyer covers cost to ship to me and I'll cover the return shipping) and I'll cover the cost of materials and labor for the fix - or I'll ship the materials to the buyer and they can have it welded at my expense. The proposed fix will include 4 large mounting points and will provide a stand-off from the firewall.

I sincerely apologize for this problem and will do my best to make things right. I am posting this against advice from others who have suggested I should wait until there is a proven solution. My concern is I don't want folks to get too far into their build only to find out there's a problem with the tank - this may already be the case for some.

Humbly,
Dave L

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your honesty and candor, but is this a serious concern? We have our tank mounted against the firewall on top of the lavamat thermal barrier without any standoffs. In this setup, if the tank deflects it would probably be minimal, no? So what would happen, really? Anything?

The tank is mounted but not connected to anything so we're not too far down the road to fix if necessary. Just wondering if its really necessary.

Cheers,

Ruth

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ruth - Unfortunately, I can't honestly answer your question. The only way we'd know for sure is if you pressurized the tank as mounted. If you want to test it I'm more than willing to send you all of the fittings and a pump - just let me know.

Again, please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Dave L

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your honesty and candor, but is this a serious concern? We have our tank mounted against the firewall on top of the lavamat thermal barrier without any standoffs. In this setup, if the tank deflects it would probably be minimal, no? So what would happen, really? Anything?

The tank is mounted but not connected to anything so we're not too far down the road to fix if necessary. Just wondering if its really necessary.

Cheers,

Ruth

Isn't the simple solution just to trace out the outline on a 1/4'' piece of aluminum, jigsaw it out, and use it as a spacer?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Alex - Not exactly. The rear wall of the tank will still want to bulge under pressure and all of the force will be placed on whatever fasteners were used to attach the tank to that aluminum plate and to the firewall. I'm not sure that would be a good long-term solution. This is similar to Ruth's situation - without pressure testing the installed tank to see how it handles the pressure I don't know the answer.

I'm picking up the materials for my proposed fix this week and dropping my tank off at the welder. I'll then re-test the tank to confirm that the fix works and we'll go from there.

Dave L

Dave, The picture noted in the prior posts by Allan... is my car. The tank is mounted flat against the back panel. I'll run the car later today and get it up to temperature and see if I note any deflection to the back plane or... It's firmly mounted against a solid flat panel so I may/should not have an issue. For others that are doing stand-offs... maybe a different story. Very admirable to post upfront about a possible problem and to offer solutions/help.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mike, it would be nice to have some real world experience to tell if the deflection is an issue or not.

Dave L

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I would think standoffs would be the best fix. This would allow the back panel to bow out and not interfere with anything. If you have mounted it flat against another surface then the flanges for the mounting bolts might crack as it goes through many heat and cool cycles. When it bows out the tank will want to move forward putting pressure on the mouting bolts and flanges.

Dave -- I didn't have a chance to run the motor today and check... it's a little late and want to stay in the good graces of the neighbors.

How much deflection was noted. A very slight bowing , a fat women in stretch pants what?

Standoffs like this???

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 240
If there is any flex in the back panel. A simple x-brace weld between the stand offs or to the entire back with mounting tabs on the side if you are not using stand offs should fix it. It is the same reason you put beads on large flat panels as it adds strength and helps to stop distortion or flex in the panel.

I ran the motor up to 203F something and the fans kicked on. The tank is firmly mounted against the engine bay "fire" wall and I could not see any deflection. Because I can't see the back panel doesn't mean it's not happening -- one just cannot see what is blocked from view.

Not a very useful post.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Mike - Thanks for giving it a shot. I've sent my coolant pressure test kit off to another builder so he can test an installed tank. More to come.....

Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I haven't heard back yet regarding the pressure test of the installed tank yet (the pressure tester would have just arrived today) but I just picked up my tank from the welder. I had them reinforce the back plate using 6061 aluminum channel (1/8" wall by 3/4" wide by 3/8" tall). We ran 3 strips across the back of the tank as shown in the photo. I won't be able to pressure test it until my tester is returned but it certainly looks and feels very stout. The U-channel provides 4 mounting points and a stand-off from the firewall.

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• SLC Coolant Tank Reinforcement.JPG
    SLC Coolant Tank Reinforcement.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 320
  • SLC Coolant Tan P-side Mount.JPG
    SLC Coolant Tan P-side Mount.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 238
  • SLC Coolant Tank D-side Mount.JPG
    SLC Coolant Tank D-side Mount.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 242
I tested the tank at 20 psi while directly mounted to the rear firewall. I was able to look at the inner rear wall since that area is not sealed off. I put a straight edge across the back of the wall before and after pressurizing the tank and saw no deflection. The tank is held on by 5 10-32 bolts.
My opinion is that with additional support of the rear wall that there should not be an issue with this tank. I've also been told that the Canton and Moroso tanks have deflection when pressurized.

I havn't noticed any in either my SLC (canton) or cobra (moroso). Then again they are both mounted against a 1/4'' plate, so that may be why :D

I tested the tank at 20 psi while directly mounted to the rear firewall. I was able to look at the inner rear wall since that area is not sealed off. I put a straight edge across the back of the wall before and after pressurizing the tank and saw no deflection. The tank is held on by 5 10-32 bolts.
My opinion is that with additional support of the rear wall that there should not be an issue with this tank. I've also been told that the Canton and Moroso tanks have deflection when pressurized.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Allan -

Thank you for the time and effort it took to test the tank and post your results and opininion - I really appreciate it. If anyone who purchased a tank has any concerns please contact me.

Regards,
Dave L

Thank you for the time and effort it took to test the tank and post your results and opininion - I really appreciate it. If anyone who purchased a tank has any concerns please contact me. Regards,
Dave L

Dave, I've not noticed any issues with the tank, connections or engine cooling. The engine has run thru several radiator fan cycles - no overheating or purging of coolant from the tank/cap pressure overflow - using a 18psi to 22psi? cap IIRC.

As a side bar: The LS crate engine tech. sheet that came with the engine states the ECM will trigger the cooling fan at (100C) 212F. Even though I've read elsewhere that the fan will be triggered at a lower temp.? I noticed the other day that the fan kicked on and the KOSO digital coolant gauge read about 199F. I'm not worried about the disparity - just made a mental note. Has anybody else seen this. My temp. coolant sensor is reading/installed at that forward left side of the block bung -- near & in front of the exhaust ports.

Back