Southern GT Chassis #54 Build - The What Have I Done Chronicles!!

Shaun

Supporter
Engine in...Just saying....That is a milestone for sure :)
By god it was tighter than a Scotsman's wallet !!
IMG_2700.jpg

Shaun

Supporter
Anyone any idea what the thread size for the oil pressure gauge in a 302 block is so I can get the correct adaptor? Mind you I wish I had fitted it before the AC compressor, my hands are just tooooo big :)
Fuel tanks now in, that was a tight fit as well, as seems most parts of this fine car are.

Hi Shaun,
Strange coincidence that I've got one on my shopping list for today for the next '40 I've got in build. The thread size in the block is 1/4" NPT and I use an adapter to AN-3 so I can then do remote mounted oil light & gauge sensors
regards,
Andy

Shaun

Supporter
Cheers Andy!! I had read 1/4 NPT but thanks for confirming, going to be a squeeze getting it all in there now the AC compressor is in!!

Shaun

Supporter
Ok so went to put the oil pressure sender on now I have the correct reducer but the one from EBT instruments to match my gauge does not fit, it won't screw in as it fouls the block slightly but mainly it fouls the AC compressor, any options? Fit to the oil cooler take off maybe? Or the cooler itself?

Shaun

Supporter
Oh and anyone any idea on the size, make, etc of a suitable oil cooler setup? 331 mildly stroked 71 block
Ta

Shaun

Supporter
Cheers Ian will do
Thanks Paul, I did mull over that as an option, I have found some sandwich plates that seem to have an oil pressure takeoff but that ETB sensor seems beefy so may not fit even that, did not realise you had those gauges, I spent ages looking then plumped for their GT40 range and really like the clean look

Shaun

Supporter
Hi all
Been far too long for an update so will get some photos as to progress over the next few days, just been looking at the wiring, like a challenge, not too bad so far but some input please from those who have IVA'd.
The common theme seems to be that you IVA then after change the dash to put the switches in you want, so on a SGT how hard is it to remove the dash post IVA? I have the "spare" switch trim panels for just such a task (although I may got for a metal look).
I am also thinking mine is actually (I think!!) IVA compliant now so it makes sense to get it trimmed, wire it all up, test it all then fit, anyone see any issues with that?
Just looking to remove the dash with the screen in and the clam fitted looks to be a bit of a pain.
Cheers

Hi Shaun, might be worth contacting Belinda and Keith Wheelwright,(Belinda’s build chassis 17 ) was talking to Keith about dash removal at the Supercarfest. He did their dashboard so it could be easily removed, their car body is not an SGT one but the dash should not be to dissimilar, wish I had done the same with mine!

Shaun

Supporter
Been far too long folks, in the joys of the wring loom, so all now good, decided to dry fit all the switches, etc as my dash is (I hope) IVA complaint so will trim and fit now before the body.

Few red fuses used, the park on a wiper motor does need a relay, I had it direct wired and the Lucas block will earth when it parks, does seem an odd design but what do I know.

Funniest one was the handbrake switch turning on the fans!!! Never quite sure why but that's all good now, most issues seem to be me missing the earth straps. Hazard also blew a fuse but I had the relay output warning light earthed without a light. Don't need that feed as my warning light is on the switch.

Did find really useful a test lamp made from and old pinball holder and also had a 5 amp fuse in direct line with my booster pack used to power it all up to be safe.

Top tip?? Remember that the handbrake warning light also is in line with the brake fluid reservoirs, I was sure I had a short and it was only when I had the whole handbrake lot in pieces did I remember the brake fluid side, pulled those plugs and all was good.

So next job is to make the switch panel covers and drill those spot on for the switches, send the dash to be covered (not the £3,500 quote I got!!) and then refit and test again.

Then its body time, happy days.
IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi Shaun

Did you work out whether it's possible to remove the dash once the spider is in place? I know you're not aiming to do this....just wondered if it's possible with SGT/Lee Dawson GRP, and if so, what mods need to be made.

Shaun

Supporter
Never found out, Mick at SGT said it is possible but was not easy, Paul Bav may know he did his not so long ago, just to me seemed easier to fit and get all sorted before the screen, etc is bonded in, the only reason not to is if you swap a lot post IVA but many do that by just changing the cover trims with the new non IVA switches

Shaun

Supporter
Also broke this fitting it, bloody stupid design tabs so small that when soldered and heat shrink wrapped (wanted a fixed solder joint for this sort of switch) you could not get the nut off the back!!! When I tried the switch fell apart, not great quality for £30 odd quid :)

Shaun

Supporter
Great minds Eddy, I thought of the old Doomsday Switch and did find the same one, the lot who sold me the original switch have replaced it as I said it fell apart, if no joy I will get one of these, could do with FIRE written on it just in case some passenger asks "What does this do" and flips it !!
Cheers

Back