SouthernGT No8

Bill
Thanks for the help. I have just about finished the front of the engine which you will know is a a critical part of the build.

Regards Martin.

Martin and Brett,
Most brackets are just pieces of steel bent to line up with some of the bolts on the compressor and a convenient few engine bolts. I had the guys at Shepard Race Cars do mine and this is what they came up with. It keeps it lined up without any stress on the setup. The upper rod is braced to the water return port. The lower rod end goes to the middle of the compressor and is supported with two tubular rods on either side so that it stays in the middle. It is used to set the tension.

P1010281.jpg

It has since been ceramic coated.

Bill

Crickey O'Rielly Bill.

That is a work of art. It seems that each chassis seems to have different requirements as in room to fit all the bits. Have to say though Bill I am impressed.

Regards Martin.

Monumental or (mental) day today. Managed to get the engine and transaxle married together and into the chassis. Did it with some help from a mate a lot of cursing and some cups of good tea. I fitted the engine into the chassis to start then jacked up the back while bolted to the engine mounts. This gives the necessary clearance for the trans to clear the chassis which I have to say was quite a bit with only a few degrees of engine tilt. Its a major step forward (or it feels like one) as I hope it is all staying together for the rest of the build. I have also managed to get the handbrake all working which was easier than I thought it would have been. I can now start to bolt things in which will now stay on the car.

A few steps forward and a few steps back. I have managed to fit the brake and clutch reservoirs into the footwell and pipe them up. All the steering is now connected and a lot of work has been done on the air-conditioning.
Unfortunately in an attempt to save a few quid I got some of the chassis panels powder coated through the back door of a place I have used in the past. The guy did save me a few quid but has not undercoated some of the panels which have begun to flake. I have therefore had to strip the panels in situ with paint stripper, they will be etch primed and painted fairly soon and then painted with that rubbery paint used on porches etc. You live and learn as they say. Their is some good that has come out of the mess in that I have found a company that knows what they are doing and do a fantastic job.
I should have all the suspension hung tomorrow and the gearchange fitted by the weekend all being well.

Attachments

• P1040274.jpg
    P1040274.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 576
  • P1040282.jpg
    P1040282.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 541
  • P1040287.jpg
    P1040287.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 529
  • P1040291.jpg
    P1040291.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 541
  • P1040293.jpg
    P1040293.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 654
Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen. I am having to drag myself into the garage at the moment, you know how it is! At least I am seeing some progress now.

Hi all.

Progress is slow as I have recently visited Road America and not been very well, but that's a different story.
I have fitted the rod gear change, connected the steering, fitted in the air conditioning dash unit and pipe work, which just need crimping to finish. Today I fitted the throttle cable which has taken me all day, just thought it would be a five minute job, but oh no. Tested my patience to fitting the bodywork limit! At least it's done now. I have also started on the wiring and got the engine bay loom in. Mick should be posting my exhaust and some pipe work for the engine cooling tomorrow which will finish off the engine plumbing.
I would like to get the engine running in the next month or six weeks all being well.

Martin.

Martin,
I can only assume how hard it is to keep going, especially if your not feeling well, but just keep that vision of cruising down the motorways in that stunning car and you will make it. Good kuck and keep posting your pictures. We're rooting for you mate!
Garry

Thanks for the encouragement Garry its certainly needed. I have bled the clutch which took some time as it had air trapped in the slave cylinder but it works fine now. I have ordered some bits for the instruments today which I can start fitting into the dash panel soon. I will final fit the gear change today and the loom around the engine as much as I can.

Martin.

Attachments

• P1050676.jpg
    P1050676.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 523
  • P1050677.jpg
    P1050677.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 457
  • P1050662.jpg
    P1050662.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 462
Martin, great looking build! Take your time and get well. The '40 will be there when you are feeling better, more to enjoy both the build and the finished car. Best!

Done a bit more today. Wired up the MSD ignition, fuel pump on the drivers side, final fit on the fuel pipe work in the sills. Started fitting the suspension on the drivers side and the panel work. Finished the gear change this evening.

Attachments

• P1050678.jpg
    P1050678.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 545
  • P1050684.jpg
    P1050684.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 481
  • P1050686.jpg
    P1050686.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 505
Done a bit more and hung the offside rear quarter. Taken two days but done it.

Attachments

• P1050687.jpg
    P1050687.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 510
  • P1050689.jpg
    P1050689.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 477
  • P1050695.jpg
    P1050695.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 542
Back