SouthernGT Number 18

At long last I can start my own build thread :D Yesterday lunch time I went over to SouthernGt and put my name down for chassis number 18 :pepper:

Just got to drop the deposit in next week and then full steam ahead.... I have asked for the chassis to be ready for April next year so plenty of time for me to finish off all the jobs around the house that Mrs Paulbav has put in the list:thumbsdown: but most importantly get the new garage finished.

The plan is for a Gulf coloured mk1 with Gulf rear arches and single deep vent front panel, going to be using a Renault box which I picked up from Frank and a 302 probably with a relatively tame 300ish bhp.

Here is the box which came with adaptor plate and drive shaft adapters, it will be going off to Chris Cole in the next week or so for a going over and polish, as you can see the garage does need a bit of finishing off (and emptying) before April but at least I have a deadline to work to.....

image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

Congratulations! Good to see you've got there. :)

IMO 300Hp is a nice figure to make it a lot of fun without being stupid. I have plenty of fun with 'only' 260 in our 'sensible' road car and that weighs a lot more than the GT40!
Plus of course you can always get plenty more power if you want.

I know the feeling with the garage, we had to build another one too, only just got it completed in time. Good luck with that.

Congratulations indeed.

You can't go wrong with Mick, Adam and the rest of the team. If Heineken made GT40's they would be Southern GT ones. :)

Welcome to the Forum's build log.
As you know there's loads of people here all willing to help.
What are you doing about the roll cage ? there's been some discussion lately about whether to fit one or leave it out.

DITTO to what Nick says also..

Sounds like I made the right choice then :) though it does beg the question, if Carlsberg made GT40s which one would they be?....

Decided not to go with a front cage after discussing it with with both Mick and Frank Catt, and am happy it's the right choice.

Power wise I'm sure 300bhpish will be fine for me, the 911 that it's replacing only had 240bhp and that was plenty of fun despite being heavier.

Very excited now....

Paul

Congratulations Paul, bet you can't wait to get started on it.

How long are you planning on taking to build it? Or are you just going to take each stage as it comes?

I'm looking forward to this build log, if it ever stops raining, I'll bring mine over for you to have a poke around..................

Jas

Congratulations Paul, bet you can't wait to get started on it.

How long are you planning on taking to build it? Or are you just going to take each stage as it comes?

I'm looking forward to this build log, if it ever stops raining, I'll bring mine over for you to have a poke around..................

Jas

Cheers:)

Definitely an as it comes build, prob over many years as time and money dictate... It would be great to meet up and have a look at your car sometime, this rain has to stop somewhen, doesn't it????

On the lookout for some build stands/dollys if any one has any they are finished with? If not I'll bee learning to weld!

What would happen if Carlsberg made them then?

:rolleyes:

Ok Ok what we had here was a failure to comunicate, on my part i.e. I cocked up:lol:

If Carlsberg made GT40 replicas they would probably be the best GT40 replicas in the world. Whereas Southern GT are the best in the world, in their sphere :)

On the lookout for some build stands/dollys if any one has any they are finished with? If not I'll bee learning to weld!

Paul.

Got mine from Mick, would not trust my welding with something so important. There is quite a weight in an engined chassis.

Last edited:
Popped in to pay my deposit today and saw my shiny new chassis, thought you would all like to see a photo.....:thumbsup:

image-6.jpg

That's how they start out Paul, just bits of box section cut to size and angles.
The skill is putting it all together.
It's a bit like seeing a new born baby from the scan !

Great isn't it, I also got my Southern GT polo shirt, as Mick pointed out certainly the most expensive item of clothing I will ever buy......

Paul,

To endorse other's comments, you've made a good choice with Mick and Southern GT. Mick built my chassis just about a year ago and I've been making slow, steady progress since. I will start a build log (don't have broadband where I live - poor excuse!) which might help you with those 'oh bugger, I wish I'd done it that way first' moments. Mick, Adam and Stevie are all really knowledgeable and helpful though.

Enjoy the build: best advice I was given was 'don't set yourself a timetable or the build will become a toad squatting on your back' . I paraphrase.

Neil

Paul,

To endorse other's comments, you've made a good choice with Mick and Southern GT. Mick built my chassis just about a year ago and I've been making slow, steady progress since. I will start a build log (don't have broadband where I live - poor excuse!) which might help you with those 'oh bugger, I wish I'd done it that way first' moments. Mick, Adam and Stevie are all really knowledgeable and helpful though.

Enjoy the build: best advice I was given was 'don't set yourself a timetable or the build will become a toad squatting on your back' . I paraphrase.

Neil

Thanks, another build log would be great to see (you've said it now so no excuses) the more photos the better :thumbsup: I am fortunate that SGT are local to me and only 15 mins from work so great for asking lots of question and seeing how things should be done, they will prob end up hating me:laugh: though...

Back