Speedhut gauges

:thumbsup: Just an update. I finished installing the Speedhut 7 gauges kit.
I have to say it is as painless as possible. The only wires to pull to the engine are provided oil temp, oil pressure and water temp; then plug and play. They provide a "christmas tree light" harness to plug in all of the power/ground connections and another one for the internal lighting. The lighting has its own rheostat. Each gauge has a simple plastic retainer ring.
The GPS speedo can be wired for continuos pwr (almost no drain) or switched pwr. Tracking on start up takes a minute with swichted.
It was gratifying to turn on the switch and they all worked first time.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have the Speedhut gauges in my GT40 and in the process of putting them in the '72 Pantera. They are great quality and I highly recommend them. I'm just a happy customer. They even put the DeTomaso logo on the dial face of the Pantera gauges. I also have the GPS speedometer. No cables, no correction gears just the right speed. Also the progressive shift lights on the tach are neat.

Ron McCall

Supporter
I have the Speedhut gauges in my GT40 and in the process of putting them in the '72 Pantera. They are great quality and I highly recommend them. I'm just a happy customer. They even put the DeTomaso logo on the dial face of the Pantera gauges. I also have the GPS speedometer. No cables, no correction gears just the right speed. Also the progressive shift lights on the tach are neat.

Mike,

Can you post a picture of the gauge face with the DeTomaso logo?
Or e-mail it to me at [email protected]?

Thanks,
Ron

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Speedhut gauges are like the potato chip commercial. "You just can have one" After you put one in the dash like I did and realize how bright they are at night and readable you have to have them all.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ron:

Here are some very poor pictures of the Tach.

Attachments

• DSCF0486.jpg
    DSCF0486.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF0487.jpg
    DSCF0487.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 469

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
The GPS speedo being the primary instrument for, well speed, I am a little bit concerned about loss of signal in mountainous areas or tunnels. Any issues there? Also, the product info says that it will acquire the signal within 2-3 seconds (hot start). Is that accurate?

Thanks for any help.

SPF GT40 MkI. Gulf.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yes the time to start is short "if" you hook up an always on wire that is optional. You do not have to hook it up if you are concerned about it drawing a minimal current all the time. With this wire connected it powers a memory chip that remembers where you were when you turned off the car doesn't have to take the time to acquire a location when you start the car. Obviously if you load the car on a trailer and haul it off somewhere it will need to figure things out when you start it.

Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hide the GPS antenna for the speedo?

Thanks,
John

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I was afraid you would ask that. You can't hide it. It must be able to see the sky by mounting on an outside surface or under the windscreen with as much sky visible to the sensor as possible. I don't have the GPS unit in my GT40. It is in my Pantera with the sensor mounted on the dash between the speedo and tach. It is not noticable in this location. The one complaint that I have about the unit that I have is that the 4.5" unit that fits the Pantera has the sensor hard wired into the speedo. That makes it very hard to get the sensor outside the car without a very large hole. All of the other speedo sizes from 4"(that would fit a GT40) and down have a plug on th back of the speedo to plug in the sensor. I was told that is the only way that the 4.5" unit is available.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
For what it's worth I placed my on the dash on the far right (passenger side in my case) a little forward of the A pillar. The dash is black, the sensor is black and the wire immediately dives down out of sight. I don't find it particularly noticeable.

If you wanted to be totally stealth you could hide it under the "demister screen". If reception is a problem make a replacement screen out of plastic.

Or you could put it in the rear roof vent and if signal strength were a problem through the louvers make a plastic louver plate.

I just came back from a "test" run of a Speedhut GPS speedometer. I set up the receiver in several different places to see just how far I could push it. I used a fiberglass cover to duplicate hiding the receiver under the bonnet.

1/ I put the receiver on the dashboard, under the fiberglass cover. There was also a fiberglass canoe on the roof that partially blocked the signal. Result: Very good. Seems to respond to speed changes instantly. ;>) Of course I'm driving a Ford Focus, so available acceleration ain't exactly radical.

2/ Just to challenge the system, I moved the receiver to the front of the passenger's footwell (steel car) and covered it with the fiberglass. It still worked but response was mediocre.

Conclusion: The receiver is waterproof, so I think that mounting it under the front body, in front of the windshield, should make for an extremely accurate gauge. I'm happy!

BTW... I was powering the unit with an 8.4V NIMH battery that I had lying around, so low voltage is not a problem. When I have a chance, I'll measure the rest current of the unit to see how practical it is to keep it live all the time.

Last edited:
Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hide the GPS antenna for the speedo?

Thanks,
John

Just had the Speedhut GPS Speedometer fitted to my 40 and pleased to report that it is A1.
Geoff at Wealden fitted it, and apart from a very minor niggle it went in a treat and works great.
Antenna sits on the air vent in the middle and being black on black is well camouflaged. Great at night, not too glitzy.
One happy bunny.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back