SPF 2366 Build

Very nice work. Yes when you do the install yourself you discover lots of horrors that you just wouldn't do yourself. Another area worth foam filling is the main bulkhead. The large circular holes leak into the cockpit, i filled this with closed cell foam and my cockpit stays quite cool. Other things i did include adjusting the nylon door triangular stops because they just didn't come close to fitting and banged like crazy when you go over a bump. I also shortened the front drop links. Also bear in mind if you fit the Quaiffe box you with need to enlarge the aperture in the chassis where the shift linkage emerges as the rod naturally wants to sit further back than the hole will allow. This is a real pain to do when the gearbox is fitted as mine need opening a good few inches. Also the rear body support frame clashes with the tail cone of the gearbox so needs cutting down. I also took apart the gear lever mechanism to reduce slop. I had some better spaced nylon pads machined up. Loads of other stuff i have done, im sure i will remember more!. Still trying to solve the problem of bad wheel bearings!

Jason, that is a very lengthy list but that is one of the reasons I like these cars is that you can make them your own. I have been looking at the front end links for the sway bar is there any reason that you couldn’t flip it to where the sway bar is above the front a arms instead of below?

You guys are really refining this car. Not the best advertisement for Superformance unfortunately. Seems a little disappointing for the $$ they charge.
I can see this is going to be a far superior end product when done.

John

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Eric, just about everything you're doing are things I've changed with my car as well over the past seven years of ownership. I would hope that Superformance learns from the fixes that their owners are making to their cars. The most important upgrade I've made is to install crush sleeves to keep the wheel bearings in place. Again, something that Superformance should do at the factory. About 1,000 miles ago I installed my 363 Dart stroker motor that Prestige Motorsports built for me. I live 20 minutes from their shop. I can't recommend Doug Aitken and his team more highly. And they warranty all of their engines for three years.

I really like that front end on your engine. Can you tell me where you sourced that? I had heard a while back that Dennis Olthoff had a source for that but that they were no longer available.

John, I’m not sure if I’d go quite that far on superformance. A lot of it that I have done pedal bushings door latches insulation that is all because I’m picky and I wanted it different than how it came. The only two real problems that I have come across so far with this car is the filler necks and the brake/clutch fluid reservoirs. The filler necks could have been fixed easily by smearing some rtv silicone around to seal them up but it would have driven me nuts knowing that it was there. I’m not sure it’s a problem on every car or if I had a new guy on the line for this part of the assembly. The reservoirs have been a huge problem for a lot of owners and that is a black mark for SPF. I don’t regret buying one in the least this is also the difference between finishing a car your self and sending it off to have it finished. You may never see or notice a lot of these things if you aren’t elbows deep in it looking for things to do. Lol

Eric, just about everything you're doing are things I've changed with my car as well over the past seven years of ownership. I would hope that Superformance learns from the fixes that their owners are making to their cars. The most important upgrade I've made is to install crush sleeves to keep the wheel bearings in place. Again, something that Superformance should do at the factory. About 1,000 miles ago I installed my 363 Dart stroker motor that Prestige Motorsports built for me. I live 20 minutes from their shop. I can't recommend Doug Aitken and his team more highly. And they warranty all of their engines for three years.

I really like that front end on your engine. Can you tell me where you sourced that? I had heard a while back that Dennis Olthoff had a source for that but that they were no longer available.
Dave, I’m happy to hear your positive experience with Doug and the rest of the crew at prestige. The accessory drive on my engine came from Doug he said they make them now I believe. The pictures don’t do it justice it is beautifully made.

I have been reading up on the wheel bearing problems and haven’t gotten to doing anything on that front yet I am hoping to get some of the other projects finished before I take the car apart any farther lol!

Welded inside with .045” 308l outside is silicon bronze to minimize cracking.
6764E508-23C3-4BB6-921A-A7D0E53C6C24.jpeg
CE8FAEDC-0728-4157-8DF4-29158684EAC1.jpeg
9CE96EF2-22A5-4FDC-8542-7E3B9BB64A91.jpeg
3861D073-9CB1-4F11-B677-FED0593A025A.jpeg

Very nice work. Yes when you do the install yourself you discover lots of horrors that you just wouldn't do yourself. Another area worth foam filling is the main bulkhead. The large circular holes leak into the cockpit, i filled this with closed cell foam and my cockpit stays quite cool. Other things i did include adjusting the nylon door triangular stops because they just didn't come close to fitting and banged like crazy when you go over a bump. I also shortened the front drop links. Also bear in mind if you fit the Quaiffe box you with need to enlarge the aperture in the chassis where the shift linkage emerges as the rod naturally wants to sit further back than the hole will allow. This is a real pain to do when the gearbox is fitted as mine need opening a good few inches. Also the rear body support frame clashes with the tail cone of the gearbox so needs cutting down. I also took apart the gear lever mechanism to reduce slop. I had some better spaced nylon pads machined up. Loads of other stuff i have done, im sure i will remember more!. Still trying to solve the problem of bad wheel bearings!
Jason I also noticed the same thing with the shifter in this car there was a lot of slop left/right and fore/aft between the lever and the actuator rod. Once I disassembled it I found that the pivot point in the shift lever was plasma cut and was rather washed out where the diameter changed roughly .030” from one end of the bore to the other and it was assembled using a fully threaded bolt not a shoulder bolt so the fit was terrible. I ended up opening up the slot in the shift rod a bit on the mill to allow more room for bushings and then opened up the hole in the shift lever to get a uniform hole to accommodate bushings, and then turned a pair of brass bushings to ride on a shoulder bolt.
E79FC772-E63D-45CA-A320-92500DB0D0D1.jpeg
2A953E74-A4C5-4C09-9308-96B131574C02.jpeg

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Eric, I did have the same issue as you on the filler neck. Dennis Olthoff addressed that for me. Here's how I installed my Tilton brake and clutch reservoirs. The third one on the right is for my front lift system.

tempImageUm1YIe.jpg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

We have that setup available. It was designed by an SPF GT owner. You can remove heads without disturbing the drive system.

We have that setup available. It was designed by an SPF GT owner. You can remove heads without disturbing the drive system.
Rick that’s good to know. I didn’t know that you guys offered it as well had I known about this site before we got the car I would have been in touch with you a lot sooner I really appreciate all the support you offer to this community. A lot of what I did on the interior was the result of your write ups. There are still a few things I need to order interior wise as well that I need to call and chat with you about. Thanks again for all the support!

Eric Freeh

Here is the old tread on weather sealing: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/spf-gt-water-air-sealing-the-diy-thread.29631/

And don't hold your breath on a Quaife box, they have said a year plus...if ever as they are reluctant to spend the time/money to resolve some issues for the volume and they are capacity constrained currently.
That’s kind of where I am at with Quaife as well. I just wish they would have come out and said that early on instead of stringing people along just kind of a crappy way of doing business.

If Quaife gets out of it I wonder if there’s any chance of RBT expanding their operation a bit to start keeping up with the demand a little better?

Ron McCall

Supporter
[QUOTE="Efreeh89, post: 562696, member:
I wonder if there’s any chance of RBT expanding their operation a bit to start keeping up with the demand a little better?
[/QUOTE]
From what I understand, that's exactly what is now happening at RBT.

Ron

[QUOTE="Efreeh89, post: 562696, member:
I wonder if there’s any chance of RBT expanding their operation a bit to start keeping up with the demand a little better?
From what I understand, that's exactly what is now happening at RBT.

Ron
[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear it thank you for the info Ron, I hope I have a -2 flipped zf that will be arriving soon but I’m learning a lot about the transaxle world at the moment, and so far it seems like it moves like molasses on a cold winter day. Lol

Eric

While I I had the drivers side door apart installing the door release levers I made I realized that the panel that the ac controls are in is made from steel and heavy. So I made another panel from aluminum and changed out the knobs from the black plastic to some knurled aluminum knobs I found on McMaster Carr.
018B876B-63EF-49D5-BA75-3AE906D30CE9.jpeg
5077E9D7-A1AF-4D19-BCBF-59E448942649.jpeg
018B876B-63EF-49D5-BA75-3AE906D30CE9.jpeg

the knobs I got had a small shoulder on the back side of the knob that I removed just to get better engagement between the knob and the shaft of the controls.

I got the drivers side snap vent installed today as well as painted the edge lexan so that I could run a seal between the window and door frame.

I gotta say it’s hard to start drilling holes in the windows.The grit style hole saws cut really well didn’t grab at all and left a pretty clean hole with minimal cleanup required.
E0090CAB-DCE7-470A-96C1-906522C03513.jpeg
F5EE8232-490C-4B97-808A-35E4F907288D.jpeg
D9821BF4-0B68-4C3B-8D6F-48C7F73E62F1.jpeg
B9FB73E8-ECAB-462D-B101-4068FDA6057E.jpeg
867ABD4C-F8AD-435D-9731-D2DE4F033379.jpeg
C4B13FF0-2C9A-40C0-A53F-CF2C179D37A9.jpeg
2730C391-2DAB-44C2-8CC7-5333FDFAB4B2.jpeg

Back