SPF extra wide body 15x13 BRM wheels

Hi guys,
Long backstory which I cannot go into. I'm finding myself with a delivery of a new SPF GT40 extra wide body very soon. It is coming with the 15x13 BRM wheels and Avons. I originally intended to go with a set of 17s or 18s and running Continental radials as I understand from Krausse that the bias ply Avons are not street friendly, i.e. pick up nails, screws, flat spot easily and have very little tread depth. My question: Is there much of a demand for these wheels and tires if they are unused? SPF has also substantially raised the price of the wheels to include a $1000 per wheel cost for widening the fronts and rears, or so my dealer says on my build sheet. I didn't think the fronts were widened. Wisdom and perspective appreciated in advance...

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Franklyn, I've driven my GT40 on the road with two sets of Avon CR6ZZ tires for more than 20,000 miles. They pick up more debris than other tires, but they are fine for the street. I highly recommend them and would personally not use any other tires.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Your location might help.
In the USA, it is illegal to use tires that are not DOT or are stamped “Not for Highway Use” or words to that effect.

Also - sticky race tires do pelt your nice paint job with a lot of sand and debris.
One fellow I know had taken his Cobra for a nice drive with his Avon Billboards on a hot day, then parked it in his garage until a couple days later. When he went to take the car out, it would not move until he really gave it a lot of throttle. The tires had adhered to his nicely epoxied floor. Now adorned with chunks of epoxy paint, he took the wheels and tires off and had reasonable street rubber installed.

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I've read nothing but praise for the CRs you have. What I've been told from Krausse is that the tires I'm referring to above are Avon Bias Ply A24. The come as slicks and are hand grooved. There are two sizes that fit the rear rims. I'm looking for some real world street experience for these tires so that if I need to switch to a set of 18x14 Amer Racing wheels I have enough lead time to keep from having to drive on the Avons.

Randy, yes the realities of having the best looking tires ever! I live in the Sierra foothills above Sacramento so it does get into the triple digits this time of year. Krausse advises lifting the car to get the weight off the bias tires otherwise I might be driving for a while with the car shaking badly on out of round tires.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Franklyn, another recommendation (regardless of what tires you settle on) is to apply paint protection film to the lip of the rear clip that surrounds the tires. That will keep your paint in that area from degrading from the small rocks and pebbles your tires will collect.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Franklyn is selling off the wheels/tires as he is not taking delivery of the GT. And there are no Avon CR6ZZ's that fit the wide tail 15x13" wheels. This is a good opportunity for someone that needs a set of 69 Gulf spec wheels in original 6 pin, knock-off specification.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Franklin (or anyone considering the wheels)

I run Avon hand cut slicks from Krause to get the period correct stance and I know a number of wide body Pantera owners who do also and have had good success with them.
If you are prepared to settle for a shorter sidewall street tires are available again in 345/35-15 and 285/40-15 from Pirelli.

Julian

I had a set of CR6ZZ's and found them not to be a good tire for the street...for all the reasons above. I bought a second set of wheels in 15 inch diameter with good street tires (215/60 front, 315/50 back) and ran those on the street.

For a track day I loaded the wheels with CR6ZZ's into the support vehicle (my suburban) and swapped out the wheels at the track before the sessions...then swapped them back for the ride home and later street driving.

A bit of a pain but much better street driving experience.

I had a set of CR6ZZ's and found them not to be a good tire for the street...for all the reasons above. I bought a second set of wheels in 15 inch diameter with good street tires (215/60 front, 315/50 back) and ran those on the street.

For a track day I loaded the wheels with CR6ZZ's into the support vehicle (my suburban) and swapped out the wheels at the track before the sessions...then swapped them back for the ride home and later street driving.

A bit of a pain but much better street driving experience.

What street tyres did you find in 315/50 size?

I apologize for all the confusion. This is an arrangment between myself and two separate dealers who are sharing in the sale. One arranged the sale, the other ordered the car. Like I wrote at the outset it's a long story but it seems to be sorting itself out eventually for the better. Gladly, I found out today that I do not need to take the chassis with 15" wheels so I am making arrangements to have 17s or 18s ordered from Vintage Wheels, hopefully ready for when the car arrives on shore in 5-6 weeks but given today's transportation realities that is anybody's guess.
Thank you all for your input this week.
Ron R., you can PM me or email at [email protected] and I can fill you in on current MSRP for new BRM wheels from SPF or better yet, reach out to Rick Muck-Mark IV above.

Back