Steve McQueen

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Steve McQueen's Greatest Ever Movie Moments

<!-- AddThis Button END -->
the-great-escape_200x225.jpg
This week (24th March) sees the 80th anniversary of the birth of one of Hollywood's most enduring macho icons, Steve McQueen.

After overcoming a troubled childhood (which involved being abandoned by both parents, running with street gangs and spending time at reform school), McQueen discovered acting soon after being discharged from US Marine corps; this career choice would ultimately lead to him becoming, by the early 70's the world's highest paid actor and the undisputed 'King of Cool'.

After his debut film performance in sci-fi B classic, The Blob, McQueen's breakthrough came in television in 1958, playing the role of a bounty hunter in Wanted: Dead Or Alive.

Frank Sinatra then took him under his wing, giving him a role in his latest movie and encouraging the director to get plenty of close-ups. However, it was McQueen's next two movies that assured his ascent to Hollywood stardom - The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape (although he usually performed his own stunts, and was a skilled motorcyclist and driver, he wasn't allowed to perform the film's famous motorbike jump - thanks to Terrie in the comments below for pointing out that the stunt rider who jumped the wire for Steve was Bud Ekins).

From then on, the list of classic movies continued, including The Thomas Crown Affair, Bullitt, Papillon and The Towering Inferno, cementing McQueen's position as the tough guy's favourite tough guy and cinematic heartthrob. What's even more remarkable is the list of films that McQueen turned down or missed: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Apocalypse Now, Dirty Harry, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The French Connection, even Rambo (when the novel First Blood was released in 1972).

So, watch the clips below and celebrate the career of a true twentieth century icon... and the man who encouraged Chuck Norris to take acting classes.

The Great Escape motorbike jump:
<CENTER><EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/xZSTpk3IiA0&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED></CENTER>
Bullitt car chase

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mr McQueen was truly a great actor, the coolest of the cool!

A few years ago, I got a copy of "French Kiss With Death", a book about the making of the movie "Le Mans". This is a truly great book, covering much more than just this great movie. It covers McQueens live, the history of the race, the cars and the people involved.

Although I have long been a fan of McQueen, this book confirms the rumors that he was a REAL PRICK, very insecure and very hard to work with.

There is a great quote from Derrick Bell "we got along only because he wanted to be a race driver and we did not want to be actors".

Anyway, I can strongly recommend this book, its large with lots of pix and info.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jim,
I'll get it in our local store . Do you have the ISBN code pf that book - usually alongside a bar code often on the back cover.
Dave

One thing I really liked about McQueen was his attention to detail and keeping things realistic. But then he just stands right up in the "barbed" wire with no difficulty...:drunk:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I was looking through my copy last night, there is an incredable pix of the remains of David Pipers 917, after the filming crash that cost him his leg. All that is left is a motor and the drivers seat, leaning againt a guard rail!!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave, Thanks.
David P and Stubs were in the Pistenklaus at the Tiergarten Hotel and we were chatting about his accident, the movie and Steve McQueen . Apparently McQueen drove from L e Mans to the hospital in Paris just to see him after the accident. I think DP thought well of him .

No Matter what he may have been like personally, I greatly enjoyed Steve's movies. Thanks for some great entertainment, with character, Steve.

Think I´ve got almost all books written on him over the last 20 years or so.

For anyone interested in how bravely he fought his battle against cancer, I recommend "The last mile" written by his last wife Barbara Minty. Also contains many pics of him celebrating his last and ultimate passion: Flying Vintage aircrafts.

Here´s how he spent his last couple of months:

Attachments

• 0725_steve1.jpg
    0725_steve1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 295
  • stevebyshed.jpg
    stevebyshed.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 265
Back