Strongest transaxles

5 or 6 speed dog engagement. I think I am going to go with the Albin AGB 6 speed model with sequintal shift. Working on the the gear ratio's and such at this point.

There synchro mesh version is a rod based shifter system, the Sequitail is a push pull cable style.

For what I have read on a the trans, I will be able to use a Aftermarket clutch and flywheel set-up, I am trying to check and have an e-mail sent out to find out about the adator plate and bellhousings info. I am looking at using on of McLeod's newer Modular style belhousings and machining my own adatptor plate to fit the trans axle to.

What size tire you going to run? How much will the car weigh?
Do you get a limited slip in the Albins?

Running HRE Comp20 19x13 rear rims with Hoosier DOT Radials, 345/30zr-19 tires, yes on the limited slip

Weight of the car is unknown at this point.

I am having a motor built at this point looking to order the transaxle, have other basic parts already on hand, still need to get suspension parts i.e the hubs front and rear, brakes, steering rack, but have already narrowed those down and just need to order them at this point.

Once I have the need parts, I will go will start the design side of things. I find it better to have the parts you want to use on hand for measurments and such and less chance of changing ones mind on the part at aa later date.

I dont see much wrong with that, The ZF/RBT is/was typically seen attached to SBF 289/302/351 in the GT40 or 351 c in the Panteras etc & Ford found it necessary to build the T44 to handle the low RPM torque of the 427 FE @ the time, your suggestion of Veyron power figures etc I imagine would be outside the parameters of the ZF/RBT. Rather than waste yours & their time explaining why their product might not be suitable, it sounds like they directed you to someone with a product that might have been, if thats the case then fair enough.

I see your point...

A friend had a sand dragster with a 1600hp supercharged 605 ci Ford motor with this trans in it and he ran monster double paddle tires and never had a bit of trouble. This one is in a turbo charged nitro billet flat 4 motor 950 hp an is a two speed and has quick change gears in the rear but is the same one as in the 605 ci. I have been talking with the builder who also builds stuff for world of outlaw cars and he can put another 3 gear sets into a mid section to make this a 5 speed. He makes all the gears and shafts in house so they can be made what I want them. I dont know a ton about building them but with the proven examples I have seen and not failure at megapower this may be doalble. I recall him saying the bearing diameters and that there is a bulkhead and bearing on each side of a set of two gears. Is there any buyers out there if I talk him into doing some? Half of the parts come from what he allready makes so alot of it is done allready.
DSC02168.jpg

I have made my mind up finally on my transaxle choice, the only thing I have left is to make final choices on ratio's and a few options.

Albin AGB, 6 speed Squential shift, this unit has a 11.5" ring and pinion, there billet shifter option, remote mount filter and cooler set-up wit a electric pump, power shift option, 4.22 ring and pinion set for set up with a 5 gear 1-1 ratio or close and a overdrive 6th gear,930 style CV joints.

So I am now slowly moving on to the next stages of getting parts togeather.

I have made my mind up finally on my transaxle choice, the only thing I have left is to make final choices on ratio's and a few options.

Albin AGB, 6 speed Squential shift, this unit has a 11.5" ring and pinion, there billet shifter option, remote mount filter and cooler set-up wit a electric pump, power shift option, 4.22 ring and pinion set for set up with a 5 gear 1-1 ratio or close and a overdrive 6th gear,930 style CV joints.

So I am now slowly moving on to the next stages of getting parts togeather.

I saw in another post you called it the "Albin AGB10" I believe that one has the 10" ring & pinion.
so, you will be using the larger 11.5" R&P AGB unit?

I am sorry I have the two types mixed up. I am getting the one with the larger ring and pinion set. I will correct it in the other post.

Michael, What are you fitting it into? The AGB (forget the CW&P size, they use the same case) as a 5 speed is too long to fit into just about any GT40. And the 6 speed is 50mm longer again.

Consider also, that the shifting mechanism is located on the rear of these transmissions, thus adding even more complexity to the back of that area. Then the trans must be run inverted, which is no problems for these, but then factor in a machined billet aluminium bell housing to suit any engine.

I pulled up my order for their 5 speed sequential at the last minute, and have gone for a different sequential box.

In my opinion, the Albins is the best box, but it's size was it's downfall (for my GT40, anyway).

I am building a one-off custom designed car. My plan is to get the chassis and other stuff, built and designed first then wil built the body work to fit from there. While still fitting everything into basic set of peramiters.

That is very interesting. Tell us more!!!

A friend had a sand dragster with a 1600hp supercharged 605 ci Ford motor with this trans in it and he ran monster double paddle tires and never had a bit of trouble. This one is in a turbo charged nitro billet flat 4 motor 950 hp an is a two speed and has quick change gears in the rear but is the same one as in the 605 ci. I have been talking with the builder who also builds stuff for world of outlaw cars and he can put another 3 gear sets into a mid section to make this a 5 speed. He makes all the gears and shafts in house so they can be made what I want them. I dont know a ton about building them but with the proven examples I have seen and not failure at megapower this may be doalble. I recall him saying the bearing diameters and that there is a bulkhead and bearing on each side of a set of two gears. Is there any buyers out there if I talk him into doing some? Half of the parts come from what he allready makes so alot of it is done allready.
DSC02168.jpg

Ricardo from the Ford GT is a superb unit and now getting cheaper...around $6,000..

Shifts great has an LSD and is designed from day one to hold V8 torque and power...I love mine in my SL-C.

We have an 11.5 AGB in an SL-C in Australia and its working out to be a great sequential unit with lightning fast shifts but it also cost the best part of 30k with all the electronics, clutch , axles etc etc ..

Pays your money and takes your choice...

The shop making the pictured 2 sp is working on the 5 speed with quick change gears. It will be great to change gearing but I have to say that a $6000 Ricardo cant be beat.

Back