the Steinard MK3 takes shape

I was lucky to have a friend pop around and give me some much needed help, and we managed to get the rear suspension sorted, next is brakes but rotors are in the post and I have the calipers on the shelf so it shouldn't be to much to get them mounted.

cheers John

Gonna be PITA to bleed and prevent air locks in that position John, rotate calipers 90° fwd, or did you just sit them there to get a bite:).

Hi Jac no unfortunately the lug spacing on the upright only allows them to mount top or bottom, I only have to let one bolt go and swing them up to bleed, so it wont be to much of a hassle , not as though you do it every week.

john

All I can tell you Chris is that their a hollow casting, have two holden bearings about 4 inches apart and have porker CV flange on the back and Commodore hubs at the front, and weigh very little.
speak to Leon , he will give you better specs than me.

cheers John

Hey Guys, The reason for the top mount is my fault as the lugs are to suit a Skyline caliper and not really the Wilwoods. My intension is to make them so a lug/radial mount adapter is used in the future John could if he wanted to still do this but its only the bleeding issue the way they are now. They have lugs both sides so you can mount the cooling duct on the opposite side. Johns set has a custom made axle but another set made for a friend of Johns uses a complete Commodore hub assembly.
I have to say John they do look good in the back of that car.
I have been thinking about your Lola wheel center's, Give me a call.

Cheers Leon

Hi Chris, Leon John.
Yes Comodoor rear hubs are a good alternative and very readily available.
I managed to get a set of SS hubs and shafts for less than $150.00 and with a little bit more knowledge could have got the bearings out in one piece. Brand new they are only $50.00 each.
Only thing wrong is that these cv`s are about 3mm larger in dia than the Audi ones. This is not a problem as I will use spacers to get my overall track width and account for the gearbox output offsets.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3607.jpg
    DSCF3607.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCF3658.jpg
    DSCF3658.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 254
Russell I have a pair of adapters to go from the small Audi CV to the Commodore one their yours for postage.

as for the rear calipers as jac said they would be a prick to bleed on top, so I have spent all day making up a adapter that can utilize the willwood dogbone and now have them correctly mounted on the side.
all I have to do now is copy it for the other side, tomorrows job.

cheers John

It wont be lacking for brakes that's for sure. you sure didn't make life easy, but I managed to get it done with only a little bit of swearing, lol
hears how I did it, the raw alloy is the adapter and bolts to the ears on the uprite, and the Wilwood dog bone off the front is bolted to that with 2 countersunk set screws, and the caliper mounts to that as before.

looking at the other side that faces the uprite, this one is for the left hand side and I still have both mounting holes to drill and tap.

cheers John

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Is alloy sufficient for brakes or using that as the model for steel?

Alloy is fine Randy, the supplied Wilwood dog bones are alloy, and ive used it dozens of time previously and never had any issues.

cheers John

The Callipers are alloy and the upright is alloy as well. I cant see how a bit of steel in the middle is going to make much difference. I like it Kaspa.

looking forward to tonight's update......

Hi Ryan wont be any more updates for a while as its all done and dusted, finished mounting the LH rear caliper this morning and plumbed up the brake lines, so all that's left to do is take the front rotors down the road and get a bit machined off the circumference and that's it till the trans arrives. oh yeah almost forgot and take the rear suspension arms off one by one and weld the bungs in the end, as they're only press fitted at present.

cheers John

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds good John.
I've only seen and used Steel for those - which is why I asked. Certainly was not trying to cast any aspersions on your work which has been top-notch...

John
Thanks for that, I will do some accurate measurements and make sure we both fit.
Been busy myself making a new oil pick up for this 1UZ as the previous owner had modified it for his dry sump application.
My TIG welding being self taught took a massive leap forward today when I changed cup size to one smaller in dia. I had been burning tips and often it seemed like I was welding without gas...truth was with the larger cup there was not enough gas flow. Now I can actually weld and be happy with it.
Cheers

Hi Mate no probs ill go out to the shed and try and find them, their in a plastic bag some where , that I know, and will take a pic and measure them.

cheers John

Back