This guy moves into your neighborhood

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
OK, I have noticed this about Chevy guys. Camaro and GTO guys especially. They all like the sound of open headers. At the street races here in Austin all the late model Camaros and Firebirds and GTOs had cut-outs or open headers and those guys all just looooved it. Sounded like sh*t to me, especially with a relatively stock engine. Now, with a massive cam, turbo's, and some other stuff, they sound down right mean! Otherwise they're just obnoxious.

If he was in my neighborhood, he'd fit right in with the other farm trucks. LOL I would go over and hang out with him though as he's another car guy and not another "I have a 10 second truck" guy. You have no idea how many "10 second trucks" there are in Texas. :icon_bs: Jeez...

I should have rephrased that - what do you do when he moves in and start up his car at 4am everyday for work :laugh:

If done at 4am I would wait until he sleeps and than wipe SH!@ under his door handles with a note printed from a Kinkos (have a friend from out of state print and than send it would be better) that stated since you like to SH!@ on your neighbors we figured that we would return the favor NOW QUIET THAT DA!@ CAR DOWN!!!!!

If done during normal hours (9am-10pm) than I would probably offer the guy a drink and ask him about his car. At that point I would ask him to please be polite and not rev that thing at some insane hour.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I occasionally run open pipes on my GT40 - neighbors claim they love it.

When I had a Kirkham I ran it with open pipes for about two months - including a couple of passes past parked CHP cars - they never said a word to my continual amazement.

Of course I was always mindful of what time I started them up in the morning - I never dared leave the house before 8AM.

Molleur I like your solution the best.
We have the "tuner" types around here with the 6" coffee can exhaust and cut coil springs for that all important kidney jarring ride.
I would do the same as Trader and give him the polite warning.
I have two customers that have cars running in the 10.3-10.4 range and they sound a hell of a lot better than that, and it takes a whole lot to get there including major sponsorship.
Cheers
Phil

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Tom I agree and disagree with you.

Yes I would shove a potatoe in his exhaust pipe.

" His " exhaust pipe not the car's.

Dimi

A quick trip down to the hardware shop and a can of that expandable foam let loose up his pipes WILL shut the sound out.....Great trick to quell boy racers
Russell

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Hrrumph ! applaud the guy -- thats Aus. Am. muscle speaking --aaand you can save power by turning off the damn alarm clock .. hey!

When I had the 40 --the bark used to echo up and down the streets early Sat.or Sun morn's, when we left that neighbourhood --at the farewell party we had a standing ovation --- ah well,they were either asian or indian anyways.
( I can feel a red neck coming on):laugh:boomsmile:bash::chug:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What's the matter Alex?
Not enough commotion going on for your tastes here in GT40s? :sad:

This is not ffcobra..

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I helped a buddy of mine swap in a T56 6-speed transmission into his 1987 Monte Carlo SS. The car had a built 383 stroker motor, ported Bowtie heads, about 10.5:1 compression, lots of nitrous, longtube headers. Well, we had to remove the exhaust in order to fab and install the transmission crossmember. Once we got everything installed and driveshaft in and all that good stuff, we couldn't help but start it up and run it through the gears. We lit that puppy off and ran it through the gears while the car was on jackstands. Low RPM's, just to make sure everything was doing what it needed to and the clutch master and slave cylinders were bled properly. Everything worked great, then I looked at my watch and it was 3:15am. Jason didn't realize the time and was reving the car because he was so excited we had just completed the first T56 swap into a G-Body. *RRRRAAAAAAAAP-POW!!!!* *RRRAA-POW!!* We were stoked. We then cracked open another couple beers and just sat there debating whether or not to take it for a real test drive or to wait till morning. Then his neighbor came over.

He said, "Hey fellas, what's up?"
"Just finished the 6-speed swap in the ol' Monte" Jason said.
"Oh nice, do you guys know what time it is?"
"I have no clue man, I took my watch off when I started working on this thing, maybe midnight? I'm not sure, we haven't been at it that long."
"It's 3:30am dude..."
"Oh, well sh*t... My bad dude, you wanna beer?"
"yeah... lemme get one"

It was great. LOL That guy was pretty cool though. I would either be over there helping the guy, or at least get his phone number so I could call him if he does it late at night and tell him to cut that sh*t out. LOL

Back