Time critical: width of GTR for trailer clearance

Hello all, I'm finally picking up my GTR after 3.5yrs. Out preparing the trailer and realizing I only have 77inches between fenders of enclosed trailer.

I know the GTR is listed at 80inches which is 8 inches wider than my Mustang or Porsches.

Anyone bring one home in their enclosed race trailer? Does it REQUIRE a built up floor to go over fenders?

What is the width at tires? My fenders are probably 8 inches tall....do I need a trip to lumber store? Going this week to get her:thumbsup:

THANKS

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Ford factory specs say a FACTORY STOCK Ford GT's width is 76.9 inches (!!! Close to your 77!!!)...track FF/R is 63.0"/63.7" (distance between the center line of each of the two wheels on the same axle).

One would think the GT-R's specs should be awfully close to that.

I'd call/email RCR and ask 'em directly...or P.M. Fran here. Otherwise, I'd make a trip to the lumber yard just to be sure.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Hello all, I'm finally picking up my GTR after 3.5yrs. Out preparing the trailer and realizing I only have 77inches between fenders of enclosed trailer.

I know the GTR is listed at 80inches which is 8 inches wider than my Mustang or Porsches.

Anyone bring one home in their enclosed race trailer? Does it REQUIRE a built up floor to go over fenders?

What is the width at tires? My fenders are probably 8 inches tall....do I need a trip to lumber store? Going this week to get her:thumbsup:

THANKS

Luke,

The 80" measurement is accurate. ( 80" wide lower body work/ 78"+ at the wheels) You should either shop for new trailer ( some enclosed trailers are wider than others between the fenders) or start modding the current one. The front of the flares are the widest part and they are fairly close to the ground.

Ron

With only 3 days to departure, its looking like Menards wins and I'll be buying lumber and a big deep cell for the winch. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't have a diesel or a dually so rather not invest in a wider trailer.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Be careful raising the trailered car too high in the trailer. Doing so will raise the center of gravity of the whole unit. Your trailer is already narrower than the usually car trailer and in windy or otherwise difficult conditions it all could go badly pretty quickly.

Make your platform as low as possible that will allow for the car to get in there. Even a inch of two will make a difference. If you look it over the platform could even be lower than the top of the trailer wheel covers and still get it in. Drive slow, 60 MPH, or so and take it easy.

Good luck, congratulations on you new car.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Be careful raising the trailered car too high in the trailer. Doing so will raise the center of gravity of the whole unit. Your trailer is already narrower than the usually car trailer and in windy or otherwise difficult conditions it all could go badly pretty quickly.

Make your platform as low as possible that will allow for the car to get in there. Even a inch of two will make a difference. If you look it over the platform could even be lower than the top of the trailer wheel covers and still get it in. Drive slow, 60 MPH, or so and take it easy.

Good luck, congratulations on you new car.

What HE said...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Borrow the right trailer...
Ask friends and local car enthusiasts.....
Don’t screw it up now after all that time and expense!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Check the door opening width, ramp width, and the distant between the cables.

Another Idea. Have it shipped. One way from RCR ? to Indiana can't be that much. Gas for a two way tow, motel, Etc. will go a long way towards the shipping I would think. AND it's insured with the shipper until you unload it in your drive way. Just a idea...……...

It all went well. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I ended up doing ramps over the axles. I'm only about 6" track width narrower than some stacker trailers by major manufactures and sits lower than some with torsion axles. I used weight leveling bars and a sway away on the neck. It does make me think about a goose neck and dually diesel if I return to racing in future. The Escalade 6.0 and soft suspension was NOT ideal for the long haul.

I've shipped many cars in my stable, but it often appears sketchy with non runners. In this day of Ebay/online auctions you'd think they'd have it down better than many do in reality. Just went through shipping from Canada a few months back and it wasn't without anxiety.

Thanks to all the RCR guys for helping to load. They are busy up in MI and look as busy as every for anyone that's on the edge and concerned about putting money down in this industry. Fran has a thriving company that appears to have grown over these 3 years.

Quality of CF all thumbs up
Wait on CF takes some patience
Cost on CF takes a gut check

I will start a build thread. At least to show off Fran's work. I have a few projects that are already in build so this won't be a Dean speed build. As I promised him on pickup, it will get completed and driven....just not tomorrow.

Overall: Among my vintage cars and Porsches there is little doubt which is the center focus of the collection.

I look forward to your build thread. I am really liking the GTR (Superlite having a Canadian distributer is a huge bonus) and have been reading and re-reading the build threads. I already have a list of mods that I am considering (and this would be my first build! Yikes!)

The only down side is that there is no build manual that I can purchase so that I can see what is involved and help tailor my build plan.

I am in BC.

I read it in the SL-C FAQs. I had figured that it would also be the case for the GTR. I know how finicky Transport Canada are when it comes to importing kit cars so I found that to be a nice bit of information.

Mind you this may be old information and the FAQ has never been updated. Before purchasing either the SL-C or GTR I will definitely be phoning or emailing Fran to ask a butt tonne of questions.

Just imported a 911 turbo a couple months ago and it was a Jersey car to begin life. In the end it went smoothly, but there were some anxious moments. Yes, for your own sanity, check it all out and get ducks in line first. The car is awesome though if you can make it work. Coming this way it was a 7.5% tariff and that is before our leaders started dicking around.

I am in BC.

I read it in the SL-C FAQs. I had figured that it would also be the case for the GTR. I know how finicky Transport Canada are when it comes to importing kit cars so I found that to be a nice bit of information.

Mind you this may be old information and the FAQ has never been updated. Before purchasing either the SL-C or GTR I will definitely be phoning or emailing Fran to ask a butt tonne of questions.

Where did you read that there was a Canadian distributor? The Superlite web page doesn't say that as far as I can see. Can you show a link? I'd like to fix that if I missed it.

BTW, the FAQs are updated when there is new info. We recently went through a minor change at the beginning of the year.

Are these cars really street legal? They look like a race car!

Yes, there are already many SL-Cs already on the road with no problems in many US states. The street kits have USA and European legal DOT-approved glass windshields, DOT and E-marked headlights, and DOT-approved taillights (contact us for E-marked taillights if you need them).

SL-Cs are also available in Canada, and can be shipped from Ontario, so there are no import problems. Several are already registered and running in Canada- please call to discuss if you have any questions about this.

There are SL-Cs licensed and registered on the road in other countries as well. Contact us about your country if you are interested in a street version.

(bolded and italiced to show relevant part)

I am not allowed to post links yet due to a lack of post count but I copied and pasted the part of the FAQ that mentions Canada. This can be found on the SL-C FAQ page on the Superlite website.

edit: I am assuming it's a distributor, but it could also just be that Superlite has set up a Canadian office and warehouse. (this popped into my head just now)

Here: www DOT superlitecars DOT com/slc-faqs (I can't post an actual link yet as my post count is too low)

Here is the relevant part:

Are these cars really street legal? They look like a race car!

Yes, there are already many SL-Cs already on the road with no problems in many US states. The street kits have USA and European legal DOT-approved glass windshields, DOT and E-marked headlights, and DOT-approved taillights (contact us for E-marked taillights if you need them).

SL-Cs are also available in Canada, and can be shipped from Ontario, so there are no import problems. Several are already registered and running in Canada- please call to discuss if you have any questions about this.

There are SL-Cs licensed and registered on the road in other countries as well. Contact us about your country if you are interested in a street version.

The only other thing that I can think of is that Superlite/RCR has an office and warehouse in Canada where they can ship the kits to before sending the out to customers.

Back