Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Another night working on the car. Completely finished one side of the car sealing around the wheel arches. Used a lot of sealant to ensure all gaps etc are nicely filled, starting to look good now.

Also finally decided to unwrap the suspension parts which have been snuggly sitting in thier wrapping while I've been doing the panel work. Ummm nice shiny bits.

build-july9.jpg

build-july10.jpg

Trev

GT40 Roof lamp lens

Another nice part arrived today, a Lucas lamp lens used on the early Le Mans cars I believe. It looks great, I just love all these interesting parts. Hoping to remove the silver paint from the rear of the lens, mask it and then paint the back section to match the cars body once it's finished.

build-july13.jpg

Trev

Hi Trev.
Being in the compressed air business, I have a very good riveter.
I used it for the underside of the car as these were stainless steel rivets and boy were they hard by hand. The riveter made short work of it.
On the lighter ally panels I prefer to do these by hand as you can feel the panel work better. It's a bit like a sprayer feeling the surface of a prepped car " If that makes sense".
Anyway as you are in the uk if you want to borrow it I can post it up to you, remember you need a compressor !
Let me know either way
Like the build keep posting

Not much to report this week as been busy sorting the decking out in the garden while the weather is good. I have spent a few nights cleaning up the suspension parts though as the chrome pieces have developed some areas of surface rust. Thankfully a tube of Autosol has put them back to new so they are ready to be fitted.

build-august1.jpg

I also need to paint the rear uprights though as the same issue I had with the powder coating of my chassis seems to have effected all the other metal work that originally came from Tornado from my first order. This means the coating hasn't taken properly to the parts and there are patches of rough metal and surface rust. On the rear uprights this appears to be just on the insides so thinking of just spraying them with some hammerite rather than sending off to be recoated as I was messed around last time with the coaters and don't want to lose more time on the build.

upright1.jpg

upright2.jpg

upright3.jpg

What do you guys think, do you think I should send these back to be recoated or paint them?

Trev

they did a lightweight paintjob...

It wasn't that they applied a light coating but to do with the gun they used. Apparently the charge wasn't strong enough which is what has caused the issue. I should have sent back everything in one go but at the time it slipped my mind and I only send back the chassis

Trev

it's difficult to get an eletrostatic charge on the inside of surface, especially the one you've illustrated. I'd get some gloss black paint to seal the areas where they've missed
Rgds,
Andy

Me too, touch it with paint, it will never show.
I hade a couple of tight areas that were missed on the chassis.
You would never find them unless I told you where they are.

I was looking at that suspension arm.
Are you making a car or a set of jewels.
You will need sunglasses to work on it.

Agreed, paint it is, I will get these done tomorrow night. Thanks for the compliment Keith. To be honest I wasn't sure of having chrome suspension as I didn't want the car to look too 'bling' but I think it will look ok once everythings on the car. Also I am hoping to have my exhaust plasma ceramic costed in white so it shouldn't be chrome overload in the engine bay.

Refitted the fuel tanks, panels, pedals etc tonight as I removed everything while rivetting the wheel arch panels. I also finished polishing all the suspension parts and quickly just hung a couple of pieces at the front to see how they will look.

build-august2.jpg

Just waiting on my uprights and my steering parts from Tornado now, can't wait to start bolting some new bits on

Trev

Hi Trev,
I think the chrome with the black will look really good.
Also you have to be so carefull with powder coated suspension bits during the build as they can scratch easy and the only alternative is to re coat them. When you get to the next stage of suspension, brakes etc things start to get heavier and space gets less. Chrome is a bit tougher.
You and others will start to think it looks more like a car soon which gives you a boost.

Hi Trev,
I think the chrome with the black will look really good.
Also you have to be so carefull with powder coated suspension bits during the build as they can scratch easy and the only alternative is to re coat them. When you get to the next stage of suspension, brakes etc things start to get heavier and space gets less. Chrome is a bit tougher.
You and others will start to think it looks more like a car soon which gives you a boost.

Trev,
Buy some water pipe insulation from B&Q/Wickes/any other DIY store and wrap it round the tubes where you can and that will help stop the knocks and scrapes.

Brett

Sorry all, not much to report. Still waiting on my suspension and steering parts and some tools so been a slow week. I have just won another nice part for the car though. It's not an original GT40 item but I meet another GT40 owner a few weeks ago that had the same part in his car

spitfire-start-button.jpg

It's an original engine start button from a World War 2 Spitfire plane which is hidden behind the cover flap with 'engine starting' printed on it. I thought it was a really nice part to use as a push button starter on the GT40.

Trev

Back