Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

It takes as long as it takes. Not everyone has the time or resources to throw at it.

Much better to do a good job, than throw it together. Besides, for some of us, the building is the best bit.

Cheers Jon and thanks as always Keith. I am going as fast as my wallet will allow me at the moment which isn't that fast. I bought a 1963 Ford Anglia over the summer and that restoration is coming towards a close now and has cost me a lot more than I was hoping so hopefully once that's done I can make some more postive progress on the GT40. I could rush ths job and just cover the pipes in the aluminum wrap I have and they would probably be fine but as I can't move onto the brakes etc just yet due to finances I might as well do the last few little jobs as well as I can.

Thought you lot might like to see how the Ford Anglia I bought is coming on and the reason for the slow progress on the GT40. I've put some pictures and details of the restoration on a seperate thread but here is a picture I took today of the car as it's just been painted.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/wings-wheels-keels/37007-bought-another-1960s-ford.html#post393723

anglia94.jpg

Nice trev,like the colour.
You have been busy, and I thought you were just lazing around in bed !
A mate years ago restored a classic Capri, the one with the lovely slanted back, a mark 1
Also I knew a guy who put a huge ex dragster engine in an Anglia and ran it about 3 times at Santa pod,shit himself,blew the engine and then sold it.
My cousin had an Anglian with a v4 engine which seemed quick at the time, I was about 14
Nice to see your Anglia when completed
Cheers

I actually can see the fun in restoring a car as apposed to building one. I restored a 1959 Cadillac a few years ago and it was hard work but most rewarding, the car has now been in classic American mag many times. I sold it to build a cobra.
I Would like to restore a 67 -69 fastback mustang v8 but they fetch a tidy sum even in crap condition because of the bullit and Eleanor movies.

Sorry, no more to report on the GT40 but you'll be pleased to hear that the Anglia is back home and I've been busy getting the car back together. I just have to get the engine running and have a couple of other small jobs to do and it will be back on the road. Should be a couple more weeks and then I can turn my attention back to the 40

anglia128.jpg

Trev

Nice to see an Anglebox again. I got my first speeding ticket in 1976 driving one. It was during the petrol 'crisis' when petrol was about 4 bob a gallon! Happy days!

Neil

Trev, I too am finishiung a TS40, I recently bought it part built, have you put the body panels on yours yet? It looks like the key thing is to correctly position the 'centre' roof section on the chassis, then adjust the door widths, and position of the front and rear panels to fit, has this been your experience?

Keith

The build restarts

Hi all

Been a while since I did an update which has been due to several reasons. My Fiancee and I were involved in quite a serious road accident where we were hit by an artic lorry on the M6. Thankfully we were both OK but it screwed my back up and has me a couple of months to recover and get back to normal.

On a better note I've recently been finishing off my 1963 Anglia and it's now all done, MOT'd and back on the road. One Ford down, one to go. Planning on wheeling the GT40 out for the first time in quite a few months today. Here are few pics of the Anglia:

8755632898_612ca86c45_z.jpg

8754508379_20219ea2d6_z.jpg

8755627342_1b6fa368a5_z.jpg

8755625318_b54581d228_z.jpg

Trev

Well finally got back to work on the GT40. Got the car out, gave it a good wipe down and tidy and then started looking at the radiator again. I had mounting brackets welded to the radiator to hold the fans in place but found that the bottom bolts fouled the chassis rail. To fix the issue I bought some countersunk bolts which I've fitted and now the radiator is able to be mounted properly.

It was actually really nice working on the 40 today. I have to say after working with a 50 year old car with every part covered in rust, oil or dirt working on a nice new clean car is much more fun.

build-june1.jpg

build-june2.jpg

Trevor, I've been following your build with great interest and admiration for some time. Glad to see you're back on it.

First, that is a beautiful job on the Anglia! I'm sure you're very proud and rightfully so.

Also, I hadn't noticed any beading at the ends of your cooling pipes. I'm not certain it's absolutely required for a secure connection to the hose, but it's best practice, isn't it? As such:

53659643.jpg&w=800&h=600&ei=r2C7UafCBcu80QHEl4HoCg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:16,s:0,i:130&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=191&tbnw=235&start=0&ndsp=27&tx=97&ty=37

Though I'm sure you know this Trevor, this can be done with a sheet metal bead roller pretty easily, so don't feel like you're stuck cutting things off or going to a shop!

At last, an afternoon to myself so time for some work on the GT40. So I finally got round to painting the ends of the radiator pipes silver as I didn't like the copper look. I still have to lacquer them but they look miles better.

build-july3.jpg

Hi all

Not really a build update but thought you guys might appreciate the board I just finished making for my wedding which is this weekend. Were going with a slight 1960's/vintage motorsport theme.

Unfortunately I didn't achieve my ultimate goal of having the GT40 finished (not even close :) ) for the big day and it's a shame I won't have a GT40 present for the day but either way I can't wait until the weekend

wedding-board.jpg

Trev

Last edited:
Back