Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Well I've not been able to do too much as I've been waiting for a quote to come back from Zircotec to coat the radiator pipes. Zircotec came back with a recommendation to use their Performance Aluminium coating as the reflective Aluminium top coat will protect the pipes from radiant heat. All sounds good until I saw the price, they want £850 to coat the 2 pipes, nice but not that nice. Therefore I've decided to take the pipes to be powder coated in Silver on Friday and then look to wrap the pipes. Zircotec do make something called Zircoflex which is a flexible ceramic coated heatshield material which looks like it could be perfect for the pipes and other areas of the car to help with heat management.
Zircotec - Plasma sprayed ceramic thermal coatings

Hi Trev, Why bother coating them it will make little or no difference and increase the cost of your build.
I actually added up last night the cost of my build so far and I wish I had not.
I saw Zircotec at a show and although good it is a rough finish and not desireable in my opinion.
Spend money on better things !

Doesn't Mick offer a stainless steel set of pipes for around 200 notes? Silver, Shiny and £650 cheaper... You could even sell your old ones for scrap toward the cost ;)

Trev,
if you're going to wrap the pipes, why are you bothering to have them powder-coated?
Wrap the pipes & paint the un-covered ends using a rattle-can & you won't know the differance. Spend your money where you need it or it will be visible
Rgds,
Andy

I was originally going to get the bodyshop looking after my Anglia to paint the pipes but they suggested powder coating would be cheaper. Also I plan on wrapping only the section that runs through the cabin and is unseen so want the areas of the pipes at the front to look nice.

Would I be better trying to paint the front sections myself with a spray can or maybe just getting the front portion powder coated? The powder coating place I use is pretty cheap so it shouldn't cost much as I imagine will look better than painting it myself.

Polish the ends so they shine Trev.
Dont waste your time paint or coat.
Next your want to paint the inside of your tyres.
Your car will be to nice to drive, but of course you will be in your 70's by then

If you want the ends to look good I'd be tempted just to go with VHT paint from a rattle can. Available in los of colours and looks really good for not a lot of time/money to apply.

Dont bother Trev, dont put anything on that could peel off later and look shitty.
The end result has got to look like a car not the crown jewels.
Your more fussy than my wife..
When you do finish the car and if you track it, it will get wet, dirty and used.. Only then will it look like a pucker GT40.
It will get a nice Pattina as they say....

You'll all be pleased to know (especially you Keith :)) that I've decided not to coat the rad pipes as I spent some time today polishing them and I think look decent enough without coating them

build-november1.jpg

Atta boy Trev,
What's next clutch and brake lines, loom in, fuel system in. Aim to be on the road
April .....2013
Get out in that Garage NOW !

Trev,
I’m with Keith on this one. Copper pipe is for domestic plumbing & heating systems and worst case a Lo-cost 7 build, not for a high end replica. I’d paint them either silver or satin black (you don’t need VHT paints as they would be getting that hot)
Andy

Hi all

Finally a little more movement on the car. I've just picked up the radiator which now has the brackets for the fans welded on. I just need to mark and drill the holes and then the fans can be fitted.

build-november2.jpg

I've also been buying a few small items to make sure the radiator fans are nicely fitted such as these black spacers to ensure the fans are nice and snug when fitted.

build-november3.jpg

Also a few people mentioned putting some rubber between the fans and the radiator to reduce any vibration. I've just ordered some rubber u channel which I plan to fit around each fan where possible as shown below. Can you guys tell me if this will do the job? I won't be able to fit the u channel the entire way around the fan as the mouldings on the base of the fan are in the way but should cover 80% of the fans base

build-november4.jpg

Finally I picked up the rest of the front panels today from the coaters so I can now fully assemble the steering, fit the cooling pipes, get the rad and fans fitted and get everything buttoned up. After that I need to start thinking about the brakes

build-november5.jpg

Brian Magee

Supporter
Trevor,

If the fans are fitted with a 1mm gap between the fan and the core then the rubber will not be needed. Also if you fit the fans on bobbins this will allow the fans to move and possibly touch the core. I have always fitted them as your photo but with a 1mm gap and have never had a problem. The gap will not have an effect on the efficiency of the fans.

Brian

Brian.

Well finally finished mounting the fans to the radiator. I've had to take some time off the car as I've been busy doing some DIY around the house.

One thing I didn't account for though is that the bolts I have holding the fans in the bottom brackets are fouling the chassis rail so I have a few small adjustments I need to make. Overall though I am very happy, the fans are solid, no movement at all.

build-december1.jpg

Back